Any extroverts here? What are you like?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 11:58 am

I believe a new person with AS has just started at my place. He may or may not be, but one of the line managers said that he has a disability, but from what I met of him he seems quite normal with just a few odd ways, like he speaks with a monotone type of voice, needs instructions explained to him in a very precise way, and avoids eye contact with everyone.

But I have found he is quite confident in himself. On his first day, he asked me if I was using the hoover. I said no, then looked at a painter, who was painting the skirting-boards and had the hoover next to him. I backed away from asking the painter if he was using the hoover, and I thought the new young man would too, but he actually shouted out to the man, ''are you using this hoover?'' and the painter said no so the young man asked, ''can I use it please?'' He seemed quite confident and loud when he asked. On my first day I was so shy and nervous, and only said hello to people if they said hello first. I still don't intend to shout out questions to people there now, unless I am comfortable with them and know them well enough.

Would anyone here do that? I suppose I don't know much about extroverted Aspies because I didn't know any other Aspie when I was growing up, and I have two friends now who are on the spectrum, and one is shy like me, and the other struggles but tries too hard to not look like he's struggling. Is there anyone else here who would speak up when needing to? I suppose shyness and nervousness isn't necessarily present in every Aspie.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 12:12 pm

I have a friend like this , she is very clearly an aspie (and she's diagnosed- I met her at a support group) and has a bit of a flat voice and flat facial expression but she;s really confident and extroverted. She just doesn't care if she seems socially off - which makes her seem less awkward. She's also very successful academically. She's awesome.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 12:32 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I believe a new person with AS has just started at my place. He may or may not be, but one of the line managers said that he has a disability, but from what I met of him he seems quite normal with just a few odd ways, like he speaks with a monotone type of voice, needs instructions explained to him in a very precise way, and avoids eye contact with everyone.

But I have found he is quite confident in himself. On his first day, he asked me if I was using the hoover. I said no, then looked at a painter, who was painting the skirting-boards and had the hoover next to him. I backed away from asking the painter if he was using the hoover, and I thought the new young man would too, but he actually shouted out to the man, ''are you using this hoover?'' and the painter said no so the young man asked, ''can I use it please?'' He seemed quite confident and loud when he asked. On my first day I was so shy and nervous, and only said hello to people if they said hello first. I still don't intend to shout out questions to people there now, unless I am comfortable with them and know them well enough.

Would anyone here do that? I suppose I don't know much about extroverted Aspies because I didn't know any other Aspie when I was growing up, and I have two friends now who are on the spectrum, and one is shy like me, and the other struggles but tries too hard to not look like he's struggling. Is there anyone else here who would speak up when needing to? I suppose shyness and nervousness isn't necessarily present in every Aspie.

Joe, I wouldn't have any problems with such a communication. My problems lie with making small talk, and particularly personal conversations with people I don't know.

Having said this, we're all different, and the kindest thing we can do for ourselves is accept our own limitations gracefully.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm

Being assertive does not necessarily mean that one is an extrovert. Extroverted people tend to be energized when around other people.
Being assertive on the job may mean he has less social anxiety or he may just be confident and know what he needs to do to get the job done. I think you can be introverted and confident, or at least learn to be assertive when you need to, even if you are an introvert.

motley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2013, 12:56 pm

Marybird wrote:
Being assertive does not necessarily mean that one is an extrovert. Extroverted people tend to be energized when around other people.
Being assertive on the job may mean he has less social anxiety or he may just be confident and know what he needs to do to get the job done. I think you can be introverted and confident, or at least learn to be assertive when you need to, even if you are an introvert.

This.

Being an introvert does not include social anxiety. I can be quite assertive at work, because I am task oriented and have great focus.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 8:20 pm

On my first day I would feel a bit awkward asking someone if they were using the item in question, but if I needed to use it, I would ask.

Being introvert doesn't mean you lack confidence. It just means you need to be alone to recharge after interacting with people.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 1:07 am

In the past I have heard of people who are introverted, but seem extroverted to fit the situation or to fit in.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 2:31 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
On my first day I would feel a bit awkward asking someone if they were using the item in question, but if I needed to use it, I would ask.

Yeah, same with me, probably.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 1:22 am

Sometimes I'm not really in the mood to talk to people if I have other things going on, but most of the time, I'm very extroverted.