Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Fnord wrote:
<<< Anti-Smoking "Nazi"
Are you, by chance, a "reformed smoker"?

I asked that because a surprising number of ex-smokers become militantly anti-smoking.
Quote:
No. My parents were both two-packs-a-day smokers. Dad was skin-and-bones when he died 10 years ago of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) at the age of 70. Mom is tethered to an oxygen tank 24/7 and just asking "What's for dinner?" is enough to tire her out. Of their 6 children, 2 are smokers with emphysema, and the rest of us have asthma.

I've never been a first-hand smoker, but I spent the first 18 years of my life in a house full of second-hand tobacco smoke, and I've seen my once vital and loving parents deteriorate into sickly and dependent invalids because of their smoking. My brothers are about 60 years old (I'm only a few years younger than they), and they look to be in their 70s. They used to be musicians and basketball players. Now they're tired old men with hardly any life left in them.

You don't have to be a reformed smoker to hate smoking, but you may have to be in denial to love it.

My old man smoked at least two packs a day for most of his adult life. He quit a few times then finally for good only to die of a stroke two years ago. I have a few other older relatives that have died from lung cancer that was attributable to smoking. I never did get addicted to nicotine by smoking cigarettes even I started smoking when I was 14 and experimented even before that. I'd do it away from home, though. Even though the old man was a smoker, he told me if he ever caught me smoking he'd buy one of what he called "daggo" cigars and make me EAT it. I made sure he never caught me smoking. I started dipping snuff (Copenhagen) in high school but eventually quit because I was afraid I'd get mouth cancer. I was addicted to that and it really sucked to quit cold turkey like I did. Once in a while I'll buy a pack of Marlboro's and smoke a few of them just because it bugs people. :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 9:40 am

I'm happy for you that you've (mostly) "kicked" the habit.

Just in case anyone didn't get the message...

"E-Cigarettes: Smoke 'em if you got 'em!"

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 11:52 am

E cigarets are healthier than regular cigarets simply because your not inhaling all the ash. there was a study that show if you smoked tabbaco through a water filter it reduced the carcinogens by almost 80%

torquemada
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2013, 10:02 am

I've used e-cigs to quit quite successfully, albeit that I backslid again, :( but I'm working on that, lol.

I rather suspect that the real issue is not actually based in the motives that the controversy lobby claim.

People using e-cigs are NOT contributing to the profits of B.A.T. or the pharmaceutical companies who make expensive nicotine replacement products, none of whom have any desire whatsoever to see people pursuing healthy, nic/smoke free lifestyles. These companies also have massive lobbying / political power due to their economic influence.

Even switching to an e-cig, you get withdrawal symptoms from all the other garbage that is mixed with tobacco to keep it moist, help it burn, prevent it from going mouldy, and even purely to reinforce addiction.

At the time my doctor applauded my efforts and told me that nicotine does not cause any apparent harm in and of itself, other than being addictive. Unlike, for example, oh, I dunno, sugar? Artificial sweeteners? In fact there are reasons to believe that on it's own it can have beneficial properties in some circumstances.

Fnord, you have my sympathies, I grew up in a household of smokers too. My current inability to quit is a weakness that I really despise in myself, in fact I'm going to go away now and buy a new e-cig kit, I think.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 12:03 pm

If they ban E-cigs then they may as well ban non decaf coffee.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 2:58 pm

I can now see this is a valid argument. As far as the poll goes, id say that the ratings look pretty slim for medicinal use, although its not really something that can be voided out as its something that will take place once (medicinal trials) have been performed and deemed valid for future scientific use. Health implications? none, just so long as people don't rule out Nicorette too. Stupid really, like someone else here said, its another cost fugitive for consumer law and test trials against consumer and sale peoples rights.
Why don't mps, get off their heinous backsides and sort out the real problems in this country, such as the fugitive marches that continue to over ride political ceremony and marginal outlines for group backings. Like we want another peace march over nicotine v s the common tar campaign. Health ministers and mps need to ensure our nhs hospitals are clean as well as our schools so that bugs which are not misleading can get tested for science research rather than the medical backings that do not wager against the electronic cigarette.

If illegal exports of manufacturing goods abroad were to blame, how comes our customs border control allows people from places like Canada and such to bring over X amounts of nicotine. They don't even like us but I was using them as an example against our fair-trading laws.

The only real harm is letting a child think its a lethal weapon to counteract a pea shooter and get away with false blame. If I didn't think we were so lucky over here I would have counterfeited all misrepresented goods and send them back whence they were found.

Argument, tried tested and re-regulated.

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jul 2013, 8:55 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
By "misuse" do they mean like wiring in 6 extra batteries and getting a mega-dose of nicotine with one puff or something? If so, IMO if someone wants to do that then I don't care -- people can abuse anything, i.e. spray paint.

I've heard of somebody blowing part of their face off "hopping up" an electronic cigarette.

Last edited by greengeek on 01 Jul 2013, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 9:00 pm

greengeek wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
By "misuse" do they mean like wiring in 6 extra batteries and getting a mega-dose of nicotine with one puff or something? If so, IMO if someone wants to do that then I don't care -- people can abuse anything, i.e. spray paint.
I've heard of somebody blowing part of their face off "hopping up" and electronic cigarette.

I hope that's not true - ecigs are the only socially viable alternative to smouldering tobacco, and I'd hate to think that the government would ever step in with their meddlesome regulations "for the good of the people".

:(

I hate the stink of tobacco, but ecigs don't bother me at all! So, smoke 'em if you got 'em!

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 9:01 pm

why can't they just make nicotine-infused candies or wafers? why go through all the trouble of putting a stick between your lips and sucking?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 9:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
why can't they just make nicotine-infused candies or wafers? why go through all the trouble of putting a stick between your lips and sucking?

Force of habit. There is a psychological component to addiction that must be addressed.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 9:06 pm

i'm damned thankful that I seem to have no addictions like that.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 9:40 pm

The actual act of putting a cigarette between the lips and puffing on it and all that is part of the habit, in addition to the nicotine.

torquemada
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2013, 3:22 am

auntblabby wrote:

License to manufacture would never be granted to nicotine candy, because of the kiddy risks - same reasons that toy lighters were outlawed in the UK.

As far as the act itself goes, I roll my own. I roll, then I smoke. roll, smoke, roll, smoke......I'm a bit Autistic...... :lol: but seriously, it's a repetitive, ritualised act that suits me better than fiddling with rosary beads. Oral nicotine replacement therapy is absolutely foul, it burns the mouth, tastes awful and gives me spectacular indigestion. I would posit that this is a deliberate way of sneaking aversion therapy into the mix, but a patch also burns until your skin gets used to the "taste"

One problem is that there's so much more than just tobacco in a cigarette, there are all sorts of chemicals added, that do all sorts of stuff - it only takes 72 hours to do cold turkey from nicotine but smokers report similar "wobble periods" in terms of weeks and months which IMO has got to be down to these other chemicals - each with their own "withdrawal period" and stress effect.

I currently smoke an additive free tobacco, which is markedly dry and crispy at purchase, and must be humidified before it smokes smoothly - I did this in the hopes that the transition to Ecig will be easier this time, as when I first used an Ecig to quit, I still had the other wobble periods when I craved a "dirty" cigarette despite having access to all the sweet, sweet (cherry menthol flavoured) pure nicotine that I wanted.

The act itself also has other uses, you can use it as a momentary pause in conversation to give you time to think or assess or gather scattered thoughts without seeming slow, something to fiddle with, or it has even been suggested to me that it's a nipple substitute :? (which I loved if for no other reason than the burst of images and ideas it engendered, heh heh)

Sadly, I'm an addict, which is something I deeply regret becoming as it has made me "slave" to a substance and an industry with massive punishments in terms of stress if I try to escape. I'll bloody get there though.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 8:11 am

As well as that, some stupid idiot next door to me, actually they're a couple have decided to break vapour and create their own brand of E.Cigs as well as putting on FB what the world news industry is writing about.
The point is hopeless as if you 're going to start all that, can't they even see that once the government enforce new a new ban, that they're going to have to close down the business?
You cant have a new brand if the reality is not the name but the brand itself.
Really, you cant have it as a side line company when all the government impose from new health officials are a ban restriction on the buying and selling of these products.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 10:31 pm

torquemada wrote:
The act itself also has other uses, you can use it as a momentary pause in conversation to give you time to think or assess or gather scattered thoughts without seeming slow, something to fiddle with, or it has even been suggested to me that it's a nipple substitute :? (which I loved if for no other reason than the burst of images and ideas it engendered, heh heh)

30 years ago my psych prof told me the same thing, and that [since he was the college track coach as well] he liked outrunning his charges with a lit cigarette dangling out of his mouth. :P