yes 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
no 74%  74%  [ 20 ]
prescribed for medicinal purposes 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 27

glow
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 4:43 pm

There is probably not even a strong debate to collaborate with here as I am not sure what they are on about.
Health officials right now are saying that they need to re-inspect the data concerning cases of misuse of them.
I mean,- how can you misuse an electronic cigarette? If what they are meaning is a child witnessing their parents behaviour would be enough to make them start smoking I m not sure if that's a valid guess but if they were to ask or find them and start using them then where is the harm? once they know what they are and what they're used for, then that should make them realise that they are a lifesaver not a harmful product to be taken off the stock market. Really.
I think they are a necessity to people who want to give up on the tar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22870301

http://vapor-planet.com.au/image/data/cig_diagram.jpg

[img][800:900]http://www.ecigsdiscount.com/assets/images/cartomizer-atomizer.jpg[/img]

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Jun 2013, 4:55 pm

Of course they shouldn't be banned or taxed the same as cigarettes. The push to do this has everything to do with money and not science.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 5:08 pm

minus the smoke nasties, does nicotine by itself have any major public health issues attached to it?

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 5:16 pm

By "misuse" do they mean like wiring in 6 extra batteries and getting a mega-dose of nicotine with one puff or something? If so, IMO if someone wants to do that then I don't care -- people can abuse anything, i.e. spray paint.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 9:53 am

Jacoby wrote:
Of course they shouldn't be banned or taxed the same as cigarettes. The push to do this has everything to do with money and not science.

Well, fake is fake. ban or no ban, imports of Chinese manufacturing goods of these products are licensed to the U.K but now under strict laws to not actively campaign on a wider national scale as we have seen in the past. I mean, I promoting them can either save or waste public money but who's worse out of pocket? I think it has a lot to do with new E.U sanctions and not because it is a public health risk at all. My mum used to be a smoker but she didn't use these to coerce her off them, its just a good idea for anyone who wants to try them out to see if it helps them quit in time.
I'm not even sure why they are taking this sort of stand now as it only leaves monitoring on standby until a much later date.
Maybe cut down on the promotional campaigning of these products and give the public back some of their money so it can help them pay their taxes. I think the money should not be actively used to destroy or incriminate someone s best interests but seek to reiterate them. We had this debate on Question time where one woman stated she felt she would have nowhere else to go if the ban took hold in her local pub and what s there to say they ought to be images splashed about on the back of normal regulatory cigarette packs? she upheld a strong argument there and it was good to watch the panel squirm a bit too.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 11:29 am

For the anti-smokers it's been more about control than the actual health effects of second hand smoke so I'm sure they'll try and conjure up some "scientific" or "human rights" rationale against them.
Scenario:
-A smoker is having a cigarette while seated a few tables away from everyone else on the deck/patio area of a restaurant but someone 20 ft. UPWIND of him acts like they're being exposed to mustard gas and cries to the waitress do do something about it.
I've see it happen.

-At work someone whines about having to walk though an outside entrance area where smokers have to hang out and smoke. Even though the anti-smoker spends only about five seconds passing though an open air area with smoking taking place, they claim they've been exposed to to a health hazard to anyone that will listen.
I've seen it happen.

-A smoker comes in from the cold, having had a smoke outside, and momentarily passes by an anti-smoker's cubicle. Of course, the anti-smoker complains at every opportunity about the smell on the smoker's clothes and makes a show of spraying air deodorizer around that actually smells more offensive and lasts longer.
I've seen it happen.

Of course, when you tell them how irrational they're being they get all butthurt and indignant.
:roll:
I'm not a smoker but I'm not irrational, either.

Anyhow, it'll be interesting to see how this e-cigarette thing pans out. I think it's a great idea, myself.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 11:47 am

I remember the good old days when I could smoke at school.We had a "smoking" hole.It was ok, and we could also wear t- shirts with alcohol slogans,drug related,sex related,and fire arm related.The weird thing was you couldn't wear shorts or tank tops.And some of those schools had no AC,we would have loved to wear shorts.
Yes,you could smoke,smoke,smoke but better not show skin.
I may try the e- cigs,I have to be on a train for an extended time period and no smoking.And I get it,I don't expect people to breathe my smoke.And kids shouldn't smoke at all.Its possible the concern is teens getting the e- cig and abusing it.But teenagers are bullheaded and if they want something bad enough they will get it.
I think airplanes and trains should offer smoker trips,Id pay extra to smoke.And if you have enough second hand you won't have to light up as much,just inhale the fumes off the other's cigs. :lol:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 1:23 pm

Smoking was not allowed in my school at all BUT there was an out of sight/out of mind small walled in area behind the school where students and teachers went to smoke. I'm 99.9% sure the principal knew about about it but pretended not to since busting people for being there would just scatter the smokers to a bunch of other locations that they would have to spend time finding and dealing with.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 1:33 pm

Keep them legal. Also, I'd like to point out that while the lifestyle nazi's are completely up in arms about cigarettes, they have no issues at all about driving, which introduces more toxins and carcinogens into the environment than cigarettes ever will.

When I hear the anti smoking nazi's are giving up driving, then I'll give their argument credibility.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 2:09 pm

<<< Anti-Smoking "Nazi"

[rant=personal]

E-cigarettes are better for non-smokers that "organic" tobacco, if the only issues are (1) the stink that burning tobacco produces and that smokers emit wherever they go; and (2) the cigarette butts that smokers seem to leave wherever they go. E-cigarettes seem to eliminate these two issues.

However, I'm concerned with how much odorless "E-Nicotine" is being inflicted on non-smokers whenever a smoker exhales. They all may have the right to poison themselves, but they do not have the right to poison the rest of us. Doing so has rightly earned them the reputation of arrogant and uncaring addicts who are only happy when they've satisfied their oral fixation, regardless of how they have trashed the environment.

[/rant]

In my opinion, e-cigarettes are, by far, the lesser of two evils. So smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

I never throw my butts out,that's just nasty and rude.If most smokers had been responsible about their habit you would not have all these people justly angry about litter.
And I think cheap booze stinks on people's breath,they throw out their cans and bottles and run over people.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 4:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
<<< Anti-Smoking "Nazi"

Are you, by chance, a "reformed smoker"?

Quote:
However, I'm concerned with how much odorless "E-Nicotine" is being inflicted on non-smokers whenever a smoker exhales.

And there it is! :cheers: That will be the schwerpunkt of the campaign against e-cigarettes that will surely ensue once they become more popular and smokers are actually happy with them. Those little puffs of exhaled nicotine will be responsible for destroying the ozone and causing a lung disease epidemic.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 4:30 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I never throw my butts out,that's just nasty and rude. If most smokers had been responsible about their habit you would not have all these people justly angry about litter.

Agreed. If smokers want more respect from non-smokers, then maybe a little more consideration for others and a little more responsibility for their own waste would be a good start.

Wikihow wrote:
Whenever you take a walk down the street you see cigarette butts lying everywhere. This is a problem that can be solved. The filters in cigarettes are not biodegradable and therefore harm our environment whenever dropped. By stripping your cigarette butts you will possibly help the environment just marginally. The much better option though is to keep butts in a container in your pocket - the obvious choice is a cigarette packet - until you reach a rubbish can.

1. Put out your cigarette.
2. Remove the filter ... (more)
3. Dispose of leftover tobacco ... (more)
4. Dispose of paper ... (more)
5. An alternative is to flatten the paper and ... (more)

(Reference: How to Field Strip a Cigarette)

Misslizard wrote:
And I think cheap booze stinks on people's breath,they throw out their cans and bottles and run over people.

Agreed. If I drink, I do it at home, and only when I know that I won't be driving any time soon.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 4:46 pm

Raptor wrote:
Fnord wrote:
<<< Anti-Smoking "Nazi"
Are you, by chance, a "reformed smoker"?

No. My parents were both two-packs-a-day smokers. Dad was skin-and-bones when he died 10 years ago of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) at the age of 70. Mom is tethered to an oxygen tank 24/7 and just asking "What's for dinner?" is enough to tire her out. Of their 6 children, 2 are smokers with emphysema, and the rest of us have asthma.

I've never been a first-hand smoker, but I spent the first 18 years of my life in a house full of second-hand tobacco smoke, and I've seen my once vital and loving parents deteriorate into sickly and dependent invalids because of their smoking. My brothers are about 60 years old (I'm only a few years younger than they), and they look to be in their 70s. They used to be musicians and basketball players. Now they're tired old men with hardly any life left in them.

You don't have to be a reformed smoker to hate smoking, but you may have to be in denial to love it.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 4:50 pm

Non-personal Hah, just as well I don't smoke at all now. Just hoping that raising this argument has created more awareness in future generations, we are the voice , the people hold the profits at stake and stand defeated by their own oaths.
O yeah, and cigars are quite pulmonary I agree. It is not an understatement.

:lol: Make the future bright with E-Light!

Last edited by glow on 15 Jun 2013, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 4:59 pm

glow wrote:
... Make the future bright with E-Light!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em ... PLEASE!