Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 1:08 pm

I am always getting hay fever in the spring and after a few months it makes me miserable taking antihistamines every day.

And in the UK it is difficult to find out what pollens i am allergic to.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 1:21 pm

I used to get it really bad, I found the pills to be useless, even when in anger I would take the whole box.
Its only when I started using Beconaise, the one you spray up your nose that I found one that actually worked, its so good that I take it for a couple of days and then Iam ok for the rest of the year.
Only trouble is, I now get itchy eyes instead, not badly but enough to be a problem on the motorbike.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 4:42 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
I am always getting hay fever in the spring and after a few months it makes me miserable taking antihistamines every day.

And in the UK it is difficult to find out what pollens i am allergic to.

Join the club! I've been out with a sore throat all week because the pollen around Central PA is MURDER on my sinuses.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 7:57 pm

A doctor told me around 2005 that antihistamines work by blocking receptor sites. So, it doesn't work right away. It takes a couple of days of blocking new receptor sites as your body generates them, something like that.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
A doctor told me around 2005 that antihistamines work by blocking receptor sites. So, it doesn't work right away. It takes a couple of days of blocking new receptor sites as your body generates them, something like that.

The only thing I have found that works for me, without screwing up my voice is saline solution.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Jun 2013, 7:25 pm

I'm very prone to allergies & sinus problems especially hay-fever. I've been on more than a few antihistamines & I'm prone to weird side-effects & thy only help about half as long as they're supposed to & aren't powerful enough. I start taking Singulair/Montelukast a few months ago & helps more than anything else I ever tried except for steroidal meds but those are only for short term due to long term side-effects. Singulair is a leukotriene inhibitor & those are more used for asthma but Singulair is a approved for hay-fever as well; I don't quite understand the chemistry of it all but leukotrienes have some kind of effect on histamine. It takes a little while before it starts working. The only side-effects I noticed are sleep issues & they were mostly when I started. I had nightmares & I tossed & turned alot in my sleep which my girlfriend noticed instead of me; they got alot better after abit. I started taking Xyzal/Levocetirizine about a month ago along with Singulair & the combination is helping more. Xyzal is an antihistamine similar to Zyrtec but more potent. I was tired the 1st couple days on it which is why it should be taken at night but it doesn't make me tired now.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

OddButWhy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 8:49 pm

The only nasal spray that calms my overactive sinuses is Dymista. I have some kind of allergy year round (grass, tree pollen, Molds, ragweed, dust mites, cats, dogs) so I use it every day. During a heavy pollen season, twice a day.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 3:07 am

The only thing good about my hay fever this year is that its made me very congested and so my ears have permanently popped and all noises are muffled and sound like they are far away. So each sound is not irritating me like it normally does.