Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 5:36 pm

http://list25.com/25-hoaxes-that-had-us-fooled/

What do you consider the best hoaxes you believed were true?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 5:44 pm

The 12-year hoax that my ex-wife perpetrated when she looked me in the eye, smiled, and spoke her wedding vows.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 6:06 pm

I was fooled for about a day by the tourist photo of somebody on top of the WTC supposedly taken on 9/11 seconds before the plane hit. The (photoshopped) plane is seen heading right for the tower with the tourist posing unawares that it looms behind him. I was in a very emotional state and wasn't thinking straight :oops: and there were so many awful and authentic photos coming out, like people falling after jumping out the windows.

I couldn't stop thinking about the picture and the horror of it. The camera had supposedly been recovered in the debris. After thinking about the photo about a day and being upset, it suddenly occurred to me that since he was above the plane (it was heading to the floors below him), the camera would have been immolated in the explosion. It must have been a photoshop of an older picture. It later turned out to have been taken in 1997. I am not generally so easily fooled by photoshops but emotion was clouding my brain at that time.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 6:22 pm

I once thought some kid drowned when he jumped in the ocean to see Spongebob

The Bonsai cats.

Someone who named their kid L-a. I was fooled by that for about a few minutes until I looked it up and saw it was a hoax.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 7:37 pm

At first, I believed that the story of Balloon Boy was true, when it was discovered that he stowed away in a saucer-sized balloon. But when I found out that it was a hoax and that the boy was hiding in the attic the whole time, I was stunned. I also remember this hoax getting a lot of media attention.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 5:27 am

WitchsCat wrote:
At first, I believed that the story of Balloon Boy was true, when it was discovered that he stowed away in a saucer-sized balloon. But when I found out that it was a hoax and that the boy was hiding in the attic the whole time, I was stunned. I also remember this hoax getting a lot of media attention.

Some hoaxes DONT fool you.

Years before that incident I had had an 'aspie obsession' with zeppilins. And even hung in libraries (it was pre internet times) researching stats on historic dirigibles and zeppilins see if my pet idea of solar powered zeppilins was feasible.

Soon as I saw that news story on TV I knew it was a hoax because I could tell that the balloon was way too small to lift that boy into the air -much less carry him off- just from the instinctive sense of balloon payload sizes that I had developed from my old obsession.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 7:56 am

Global Warming,

Actually that is a lie, I never believed in global warming,

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 10:39 am

Alien Autopsy - At the time, I really wanted to believe the footage was real.

John Edward and his show Crossing Over. I don't know if he is genuine or simply a very good cold reader. I simply don't know. I also believe that for me, it does not matter. Whatever follows, whether it is nothing or my consciousness living on, I'm fine either way. It just makes "now" all the more special.
[img][120:120]http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a609/pcgoblin/Happy_smiley_face_zpsd563091b.png[/img]

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 10:47 am

"The Mystery of Al Capone's Vaults" -- A two-hour live American television special that was broadcast once, and that was hosted by Geraldo Rivera. The program focused on the opening of a secret vault once owned by noted gangster Al Capone. The program is now perhaps best known for the vault being ultimately empty except for debris.

I wasted two whole hours of my life watching what amounted to nothing more that a tabloid account of Al Capone's life and crimes.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Jun 2013, 10:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
"The Mystery of Al Capone's Vaults" -- A two-hour live American television special that was broadcast once, and that was hosted by Geraldo Rivera. The program focused on the opening of a secret vault once owned by noted gangster Al Capone. The program is now perhaps best known for the vault being ultimately empty except for debris.

I wasted two whole hours of my life watching what amounted to nothing more that a tabloid account of Al Capone's life and crimes.

LOL, I was glued in front of the TV on that one too. I kept thinking how Geraldo must have felt when there was nothing in that vault. I am trying to remember what was in the debris---wasn't there a wine bottle or something?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 10:59 pm

glider18 wrote:
... I am trying to remember what was in the debris---wasn't there a wine bottle or something?

According to the article I linked to...

Quote:
When the vault was finally opened, the only things found inside were dirt and several empty bottles including one Rivera claimed was for moonshine bathtub gin.

:)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 11:23 pm

a video of a grapefruit sized meteorite striking the ground in front of a pickup truck.
it is hard to discount, but someone told me it was a hoax because it was never shown on any news bulletins.
there are some restricted areas in the mojave desert where it is illegal to be, and for that reason i suspected that they were disinclined to release the video to any authority for fear of prosecution.
as well as that, i reasoned that their apparent light hearted response may have been due to a combination of alcohol and redneck personalities.

later, i agreed that if it was true, then news rooms would have definitely downloaded the video to replay in their bulletins.

whoever compiled this was very good indeed at accounting for minute and incidental details that would only be apparent to those who looked for them, and they are all there. a stunning piece of work.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrGw9Hmn_54[/youtube]

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 11:51 pm

"Alcohol was involved." Enough said.