Afraid of getting tetanus...again afraid...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 10:39 pm

Yesterday, at the exterior of a grocery store, I got a small cut on my right hand by slightly hitting a shelving unit. This was metal shelving unit, with a lot of rust. So basically, I cut myself with rusty metal. I got to drug store to buy some cotton and hydrogen peroxyde, so I desinfected the cut after a few minutes.
So now I'm worried about tetanus, :pale:, I did get a shot one year ago, but no protection is perfect and I'm still worried. What should I do? Should I go to the clinic? And could they do something?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 1:17 am

if you got a tetanus shot one year ago and have cleaned the cut and it has stopped bleeding, there is nothing more a clinic could do. try not to worry and get a good night's sleep.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 11:46 am

you can go and get a tetanus shot to stop future incidents, I get one every few years because I spend time around rusty metal

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 12:10 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Yesterday, at the exterior of a grocery store, I got a small cut on my right hand by slightly hitting a shelving unit. This was metal shelving unit, with a lot of rust. So basically, I cut myself with rusty metal. I got to drug store to buy some cotton and hydrogen peroxyde, so I desinfected the cut after a few minutes.
So now I'm worried about tetanus, :pale:, I did get a shot one year ago, but no protection is perfect and I'm still worried. What should I do? Should I go to the clinic? And could they do something?

You should try to relax and realize that thousands and thousands of people everyday cut themselves on metal objects and don't get tetanus.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 8:58 am

Tollorin wrote:

The tetanus booster lasts for 10 years. The clinic could give you another tetanus booster but that would be pointless since it's only been one year.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 12:32 pm

I would agree, the booster you had 1 year ago should protect you. Try to relax and also try not to cut yourself again.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.