Page 1 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2013, 12:17 pm

I just started a course in maths and need help!
I can't pay and I'm somewhat hopeless hence the request for someone passionate. I'm guessing you really need to love maths and enjoy explaining it to be able to help me.
I'm studying equations, functions and polynomials at the moment.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 12:27 pm

Salome wrote:
I can't pay and I'm somewhat hopeless hence the request for someone passionate. I'm guessing you really need to love maths and enjoy explaining it to be able to help me.

What parts of the math are you struggling with? Do a search on Khan Academy on YouTube; this has pretty much everything you need to know about both calculus and pre-calculus.

Good luck! :)

JDC6776
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2013, 12:30 pm

Ok, post some problems and we can work them out here. I find math very comforting since it's based on concrete rules and can be proven unlike abstract theories.

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 12:49 pm

What kind of help do you need? If you have questions, just ask them (in this thread, for example).
(I already gave some tutoring to future high-school math teachers, so I think I should be skilled enough. :))

If you need "real-time" help, it's OK every now and then, too.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 3:56 pm

Salome wrote:

There are many WPers with non-trivial knowledge of Maths and even a few Mathematicians, so ask away!
Nothing you could ask will exceed the knowledge of those on this site.

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm

slave wrote:

Is P=NP?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 4:16 pm

Vectorspace wrote:
slave wrote:

Is P=NP?

Nobody knows. It is one of the Great Unsolved Problems.

The prevailing opinion is No, but that is just an opinion.

ruveyn

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2013, 5:30 pm

Thanks for answering everybody!
I just realised something. My biggest problem is remembering the rules, I sometimes even have trouble remembering the times tables :(
I'm not stupid and I understand most things but I have a huge problem remembering to sit down and do it. Also I find it hard to read through the text for the problems, I simply don't have the patience and the focus :evil:
I realise that none of this is something someone else can help me with :(
But if I need something explained then I know where to turn :D

JDC6776
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2013, 5:36 pm

I used to have trouble with the multiplication table. I found it easier to identify the patterns in the table. My other method was to concentrate on the even numbers then use quick mental addition to get the odds.

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2013, 6:00 pm

JDC6776 wrote:
I used to have trouble with the multiplication table. I found it easier to identify the patterns in the table. My other method was to concentrate on the even numbers then use quick mental addition to get the odds.

I do that too! :D
Do you have any suggestions on study technique?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 7:22 pm

Coming from someone who was 10+ years out of practice, my desperate approach was to make school an all day event. I made sure I ate and exercised to keep from getting stressed out, otherwise I didn't leave until the library closed. I didn't rush anything because I had all day to work the problems out. As a result, I had one of the best grades in the class.

You can also go to Khan Academy and practice on the areas that give you the most trouble, you can practice anything up to beginning level calculus. The site will keep track of your progress and performace for you, it has an RPG like feel to it.

There's also go to Udacity, they have 3 different algebra courses. You get instructions by video, followed by a problem, followed by feedback & explanation.

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jun 2013, 7:54 pm

MDD123 wrote:
Coming from someone who was 10+ years out of practice, my desperate approach was to make school an all day event. I made sure I ate and exercised to keep from getting stressed out, otherwise I didn't leave until the library closed. I didn't rush anything because I had all day to work the problems out. As a result, I had one of the best grades in the class.

You can also go to Khan Academy and practice on the areas that give you the most trouble, you can practice anything up to beginning level calculus. The site will keep track of your progress and performace for you, it has an RPG like feel to it.

There's also go to Udacity, they have 3 different algebra courses. You get instructions by video, followed by a problem, followed by feedback & explanation.

I love Khan academy! I've been on there for a while. I forget to do the actual work for the class though :( I know someone else suggested Khan academy as well and it is a great site! No buts!
I'll check out the other site as well!

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jun 2013, 8:38 pm

Vectorspace wrote:
slave wrote:

Is P=NP?

That will teach you to make absolute statements. :lmao:

But then, where else but here will you get such a nice succinct rejoinder? :D

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 8:50 pm

Salome wrote:
MDD123 wrote:

I love Khan academy! I've been on there for a while. I forget to do the actual work for the class though :( I know someone else suggested Khan academy as well and it is a great site! No buts!
I'll check out the other site as well!

Yes, Khan Academy and Udacity are both great (Udacity is more interactive, but Khan is a very engaging teacher).

Thanks to them, I have major respect for maths and for learning. At 30, I'm back to uni now because of them.

JDC6776
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2013, 1:34 am

Salome wrote:
JDC6776 wrote:

You should always write out your work.
Photocopy assignments before you turn them in, to make a study book for exams (you never know when you'll get it back).
Visualize the problems or relate them to a subject of interest if possible (it's easier with word problems cause you can just change the context)
Order of operations is the most critical thing to remember
Don't stress, frustration can block you mentally or withdraw you entirely
Sometimes you have to find your own way.
NT's have to learn to think outside the box, You can do it naturally. Focus on your strengths and use them to boost your weak areas.

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2013, 7:08 am

JDC6776 wrote:
Salome wrote:
JDC6776 wrote:

You should always write out your work.
Photocopy assignments before you turn them in, to make a study book for exams (you never know when you'll get it back).
Visualize the problems or relate them to a subject of interest if possible (it's easier with word problems cause you can just change the context)
Order of operations is the most critical thing to remember
Don't stress, frustration can block you mentally or withdraw you entirely
Sometimes you have to find your own way.
NT's have to learn to think outside the box, You can do it naturally. Focus on your strengths and use them to boost your weak areas.

Wopw thanks! These are some really good suggestions!