Rule by Decree Passed for (Hugo) Chavez

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 7:05 pm

amerikasend wrote:
I was asking a question. That's why my question had a question mark at the end of it. (?) in the parenthesis is a question mark.

I appreciate the response. Obviously some of the people the CIA has worked with have come from less the stellar backgrounds. On the other hand, it should be noted that the Central Intelligence Agency was attempting to support an operation to overthrow a communist government backed by the Soviet Union in the middle of the Cold War. Revolutionary movements often use sources of funding that are not exactly inside the law. This is not something I necessary endorse but it is unfortunate the case. The United States worked with the Mafia during the Second World War. I believe that the U.S. was justified then, and I believe it was justified in this case as well.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 7:35 pm

how can it be justified to be involved in cocaine smuggling at a time when the govenment in question was fighting a purported "war on drugs"?

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 8:20 pm

Because some questions are more important then others. An ideological struggle with the Soviet Union (a country which declared goal is to establish a Dictatorship of the Proletariat throughout the world) is more important then stopping the members of a movement that is fighting ideological struggle you are struggling against.

Not all evils are equally evil.