I see colours .... 6 year old girl

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

gratin
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2013, 2:39 pm

My daughter is being assessed for Asperger's.

I'm analysing everything she says too much at the moment.

This evening she said I see colours, can't remember all the colours she sees but did remember purple.

I was a bit surprised by it and can't remember what else she said ... think it was that she sees the colour everywhere

She finished off by saying can I speak to the doctor because there might be something wrong with her eyes

Wondering if this is and autistic thing or just nothing?

Thanks.

MiahClone
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2013, 2:52 pm

Could be something to do with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia, or could be that she is just literally noticing that there is a lot of purple in the world and is not communicating effectively.

(edit: not sure what I'm doing wrong with the html, but it's not making a proper link, so taking it out.)

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2013, 2:56 pm

Hi, I am on the spectrum and am hypersensitive to light as a part of it,
I often see floating coloured lights and shapes in my vision, mostly as a result of bright, glaring or flashing lights, and remember chasing them around as a child thinking they were fairies. It is possible that she is experiencing the same thing.

It isn't anything that has ever turned up in an eye test in my personal experience, but it might be worth looking into if you are worried.

If synaesthesia is involved, the visual sensation of seeing colours might be being triggered by a sense other than sight.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 4:07 pm

^^ That is true. Optic nerves interpret everything as light. I used to stim as a child by squeezing my eyelids tightly together until I saw "fireworks".

gratin
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2013, 4:13 pm

Thanks, I'm listening carefully to her at the moment .... although I know a lot is only general kid's stuff, but the replies give me something to look into.
She's lovely ... if she's autistic it's a shame everyone isn't.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 8:01 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
^^ That is true. Optic nerves interpret everything as light. I used to stim as a child by squeezing my eyelids tightly together until I saw "fireworks".

My favorite childhood past-time...rubbing my eyes to see the fireworks! I only now realized it was a stim! 8O ...and only because you said so.

My son claims to see lights and colors at times. He does have amblyopia, but I am not aware that it is related to that. He has often noted there is something wrong with his eyes. (he has NVLD and ADHD)

I sometimes see fortification spectra before a migraine. Mine are multicolored. I am also very keenly aware of my benign eye floaters almost all the time. I think most people eventually ignore them, but I can't. (I have ADD)

My daughter...she just sees the world differently than others do. I don't know for sure what her experience is, but I have known since before she was verbal that what she sees, I don't see. She has ASD.

Quote:
She's lovely ... if she's autistic it's a shame everyone isn't.

I have had that exact same thought about my daughter. Right now she is in her room, trying to write a song to teach other kids about the importance of treating each other kindly.

TiredMom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2013, 12:55 am

My daughter is not only an aspie, but a synesthete--she sees sounds as colors and shapes, and can taste people's voices. To check this out with your six year old, you could have different people talk and see if the colors (or tastes) change. I think of this as a real gift (my daughter does wonderful paintings), but it can also be hard.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 4:45 am

InThisTogether wrote:
I am also very keenly aware of my benign eye floaters almost all the time. I think most people eventually ignore them, but I can't. (I have ADD)

Me too. They drive me mad.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum