Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 6:06 pm

I am going to the psych tomorrow and I am wanting to switch off my snri to a ssri in hopes that it makes me less jittery so I do not have to take lorazepam as frequently for anxiety and racing thoughts. I am currently taking pristiq but my psychologist who deals with adults with as said that many of his patients like me have less residual anxiety on ssri than an snri like I am taking.

Does anyone have any advice? Ultimately I go with what the doc says tomorrow but any talking points or surges too s would be appreciated.

the_grand_autismo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jun 2013, 8:35 pm

I don't know if you know the science, but SNRIs are serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. Norepinephrine (also known as noradrenalin) is one of the key neurotransmitters in your flight-or-flight system and also in regulating alertness. This is why some doctors don't like to give them to people who are anxious, because the theoretical brain business says that inhibiting reuptake, i.e. having more norepinephrine around, will make you more alert and prepared to basically freak out.

It seems like some people will still prescribe SNRIs for things like social anxiety or mixed depression/anxiety, and not everyone has the jittery-anxious sort of side effects you would expect from the pharmacology. So if Pristiq is working for you otherwise, maybe you might not want to switch.

Are you feeling more anxiety on the Pristiq? If so, definitely mention that. If not, I would tell the doc exactly what you said here-- that you'd prefer to rely on the lorazepam less, and just ask if there was anything you could switch to that would work for your anxiety. Maybe mention what your psychologist said, if your doctor is being stubborn. You could always ask him about the science behind it, too, if you are comfortable.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 9:54 pm

The doc was understanding, I got switched to Zoloft instead as the doc agreeded that my anxiety was not being adequately covered and he felt Zoloft would do better. So now I get to have a miserable time with the switch but hopefully it will be better afterwards.