Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 7:15 pm

Someone recently mentioned something about people with aspergers having an over responsive fight or flight response. I realized that perhaps that is why I have a tendency to ignore and cut people off when having some kind of argument (or something that causes stress) with them.

Does anyone know anything about the fight or flight response in relation to autism? I'd be interested to learn about this, but I cannot find very much information online. Thanks!

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jun 2013, 7:18 pm

I can tell you that during a conflict I would rather run and hide in some dark corner until it's over.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 8:47 pm

lady_katie wrote:
Someone recently mentioned something about people with aspergers having an over responsive fight or flight response. I realized that perhaps that is why I have a tendency to ignore and cut people off when having some kind of argument (or something that causes stress) with them.

Does anyone know anything about the fight or flight response in relation to autism? I'd be interested to learn about this, but I cannot find very much information online. Thanks!

Katie, "fight or flight" is how all motile animals respond to threats. I think one reason, besides usually having more tense nerves, that aspies tend to stay in this mode is because of our problems dealing with other people, including people who make an effort to understand us, but don't. My guess is that fight or flight becomes second nature to us over time from our experiences.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 9:15 pm

Fight or flight is a common response to eye contact in people with ASD. This happens to me sometimes when I suddenly make eye contact with someone and I panic and look away immediately. Also it can trigger a meltdown, when you get a rush of adrenalin and lose control. It could have something to do with an overactive amygdala.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 9:29 pm

I used to have it really really strong but as I have gotten older I have been able to suppress the urge to run. I still try to run before I go into a meltdown or shutdown though

lost561
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 9:32 pm

I definately suffer from fight or flight response... I have gotten medication though to where its a little bit better now than it was before.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 9:33 pm

I think mine is lower than others.

I am more of the no reaction type.

Even when things fall on my head, no reaction.

Kjb2992
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jun 2013, 10:55 pm

I kind blame it on my upbringing, but I could never hurt a fly. Violence doesn't solve anything, never has, never will. I usually try either ignore the issue, turn it into a joke and laugh it off, or use a verbal counter if it's a person. Some kind of a peaceful approach instead of needless violence.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 11:22 pm

Kjb2992 wrote:
I kind blame it on my upbringing, but I could never hurt a fly. Violence doesn't solve anything, never has, never will. I usually try either ignore the issue, turn it into a joke and laugh it off, or use a verbal counter if it's a person. Some kind of a peaceful approach instead of needless violence.

Why do you think I always locked myself in my room, or apartment, with the curtains and window shades drawn?

Kjb2992
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jun 2013, 11:49 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
Kjb2992 wrote:

Why do you think I always locked myself in my room, or apartment, with the curtains and window shades drawn?

I feel ya. I have gotten angry and exploded onto people before, but about 90% of the time after doing so, I always feel like the scum of the Earth afterwards and apologize. (Which I find somewhat awkward, seeing as how I was such a jerk to them in the first place. But it's better than never saying those two words: "I'm sorry".)