Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Beppieiscool
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2013, 11:03 am

robsten1990 wrote:
Movies with religious themes will always be controversial though, no matter the content.

Saved! is a good example of this. During the production of this movie they had to rehire the cast over and over again due to its religious themes. From what I heard they hired over six bands to play for the movie. Here's the movie poster for anyone who is interested.

The world is a mess.
The mess is full of color, beauty, laughter, happiness, sadness, pain, misery, and everyone can relate to this crazy world. For we all live

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 11:54 am

Anything by Todd Solondz. He tries way too hard to shock people.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 3:37 pm

deep throat.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 5:36 pm

If banning meant it helped then Natural Born Killers should be banned. It is a great movie and it's Quentin's movie not Stone's movie.

Erlonman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2013, 7:10 pm

Thinking about it again, I imagine Dogma would be considered "controversial,"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FigprdcBGA[/youtube]

This is probably the most well known scene from it, and I actually own my own "buddy Christ,"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 11:27 pm

back in the day [late 40s] "forever amber" was considered so controversial that the hays office [MPAA] issued one of a very few "adult admittance only" certificates for that film, meaning it was for adult audience exhibition only, over 30 years before the rating system we know today, was established.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 11:35 pm

I believe Midnight Cowboy got an X rating for it's upfront presentation of male prostitution and homosexuality. Today, it would hardly rate an R.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 11:39 pm

I remember watching a mel brooks interview where he said he had to cut a line out of "blazing saddles" to avoid an X rating, the line was-

*"hey, you're sucking my arm!"

that was the scene where cleavon little and Madelyn Kahn were in the room with the lamp turned off, and if followed the line, "OH, it's TWUE, it's TRUE!! !"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 11:49 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I remember watching a mel brooks interview where he said he had to cut a line out of "blazing saddles" to avoid an X rating, the line was-

*"hey, you're sucking my arm!"

that was the scene where cleavon little and Madelyn Kahn were in the room with the lamp turned off, and if followed the line, "OH, it's TWUE, it's TRUE!! !"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:! !! ! Now only if he puts the line back!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 1:33 am

another controversial movie back in the day [early 60s] was "elmer gantry" which depicted a corrupt minister of the southern Baptist style. to avoid a condemned rating from the catholic motion picture office, they had to delete the last line, which was "see you in hell."

Kildareboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jun 2013, 8:31 am

Theirs alot of CAT III titles from asia that are quite messed up,not sure they got banned but their really dark and worth a watch.men behind the sun is based on true events during ww2 in an experiment camp. anythin from the guinea pig series is pretty mental aswell. for a ridiculous amount of blood and gore id recomend the story of ricky, and for a bit of a dark storyline, the underground banker, pretty cruel, but worth a watch.

PrncssAlay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2013, 3:35 pm

auntblabby wrote:
...which depicted a corrupt minister of the southern Baptist style.

"The Apostle" which came out in 1997 was expected to be controversial due to its eye-opener portrayal of the human side of evangelists, but it turned out to be inspiring to many instead. Here is the trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQe1Kehx110&feature=player_detailpage#t=12s[/youtube]

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 3:15 pm

I saw Evil Dead in the 80's when it was banned. I think the only reason it was banned was because it was just blood and guts. But a girl does get raped by a tree in the film so maybe it was that too.

I think most films that get banned are really just trying to get publicity and are generally not that offensive.

Requiem for a Dream is disturbing more than anything else. But I would say its an effective film for putting people off drugs.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 4:13 pm

Then there are those made by directors trying to cause a controversy, such as Michael Moore or Oliver Stone.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 4:34 pm

anatomy of a murder.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 1:00 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
I saw Evil Dead in the 80's when it was banned. I think the only reason it was banned was because it was just blood and guts. But a girl does get raped by a tree in the film so maybe it was that too.

I think most films that get banned are really just trying to get publicity and are generally not that offensive.

Requiem for a Dream is disturbing more than anything else. But I would say its an effective film for putting people off drugs.

I didn't know Evil Dead got banned. I thought you had gotten it mixed up with Faces of Death, that showed icky stuff like people at a feast killing monkeys by beating them on the head with their spoons and eating their brains and a chicken with its head cut off flailing around a barnyard to ballet music. But then you described the tree assault. Yep, Evil Dead. "They're gonna get you!"