Death of autistic people... <sniff><sniff>

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Tilkor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jun 2013, 2:51 pm

I wasn't sure if this was the best place to place this, but here goes...

Over the years, I've noticed various news stories about how individuals with various types of autism die. Depressing of course, regardless of who these individuals are. Because of the nature of them being Autistic (or suspected to have autism), I felt that something has to be done. Sadly, I'm only one person, so there's only a limited amount of things that I can actually do. Despite this "limitation", I made a video to remember those who died.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OEiFvmDPE0[/youtube]

I know that there have been a lot of names missing, and for this I must apologize if I offend, but in my defense, one premature death is one too many. I don't want to "point fingers" or call blame to specific people for wrong doing (I think that would be opening up a can of worms for me if I did), but a lot of these "kids" died from infanticide, excessive bullying, and/or suicide.

I want the deaths to stop, so, logically, the next question I have to ask is, what next? What more should I do, if anything? Any ideas or comments?

Sincerely,
Tilkor
A passionate Aspie

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 2:57 pm

It's great what you want to do. But unless you can change society I don't know how far you can get. Maybe start a campaign in conjunction with an official autistic society or something?

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2013, 4:26 pm

What you've done so far is very admirable.

If you really want to make a difference, then feel you should campaign against the ways in which both the media and legal services trivialise the deaths of Autistic people, and are very quick to forgive their killers.

You could try joining Aspies For Freedom to gain contact with some other activists, and approach ASAN, who may be able to help you campaign.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Tilkor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jun 2013, 4:58 pm

Quote:
What you've done so far is very admirable.

If you really want to make a difference, then feel you should campaign against the ways in which both the media and legal services trivialise the deaths of Autistic people, and are very quick to forgive their killers.

You could try joining Aspies For Freedom to gain contact with some other activists, and approach ASAN, who may be able to help you campaign.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Holiest of crap of all craps!! ! Is there such a thing?!?!? I'm pooping myself silly over here over just the shier thought of such a concept, and I'm trying my bestest to be as polite about this as possible. I've been drinking for a wee bit here, but will definitely check it out when I've taken a nap and sober up a wee bit. @:^D

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 5:24 pm

I think what you have done is so compassionate and kind. The video in itself is a good deed, it honors their memory.

As for what you could do next, I'd say keep making more videos, and maybe some educational videos or anti bullying videos too. Or make an anti bullying website or a website that educates people not to bully or 'be afraid of' people who are on the spectrum. Some people are very ignorant and fearful and often those end up name calling or shunning or bullying someone because of that. (And also because of the bully's personality and not being raised right.)

So I don't know, it's up to you what you do next, follow your heart. I just wanted to encourage you.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 5:57 pm

YouTube is a great way to reach a very big audience.

If the tube has good information, presentation, music, humor(if appropriate); it could get a lot of hits and become widely known. That's a good way to reach the "man on the street".

To reach those in authority, you need contacts (people of influence) and/or boat loads of money.

Minority pressure groups sometimes make a difference, but honestly it's a long push for little gain.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 8:37 pm

You might also want to check out the Not Dead Yet organization. I believe they're mostly about opposing euthanasia for physically disabled (not terminally ill) people, but I'm pretty sure they're concerned about the premature deaths of autistics and other ND people as well.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 8:59 pm

Ettina wrote:
You might also want to check out the Not Dead Yet organization. I believe they're mostly about opposing euthanasia for physically disabled (not terminally ill) people, but I'm pretty sure they're concerned about the premature deaths of autistics and other ND people as well.

It's good to know such organizations exist.

Tilkor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2013, 11:09 pm

Wow. Didn't realise how many options there were here... At any rate, made another video to support my fellow Aspies, and uploading it to Youtube as we speak. I'll be posting it in a few moments here when it's finished.

In the mean time, if I may be allowed to be a "pest"... If you guys were to share it with your friends and family, and repeatedly post it on Facebook, I'd greatly appreciate it. :D

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 12:03 am

Ettina wrote:

Ummm...

Excuse my ignorance, but why is there a need for an organization to work against euthanasia of the physically disabled?!

Has Nazi Germany arisen anew somewhere?

Who in the world is trying to off the disabled?!?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 1:49 am

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but why is there a need for an organization to work against euthanasia of the physically disabled?!

Mostly it's voluntary euthanasia they're opposing. You know, some person who is stuck in the mindset that 'disabled=unhappy' and since they've got a permanent disability they want to die. Not Dead Yet fears that allowing this will encourage pressure on disabled people to choose death rather than be a burden, and interfere with proper care and accomodations. In addition, they feel these people would do better with being given counseling and accomodation rather than voluntary euthanasia.