Anyone else have Emetaphobia? Fear of vomiting.

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2013, 1:32 pm

I have had emetaphobia for about as long as i can remember or well at least 10 years and I recently had a scare and started looking it up and found some great hings and I saw some other forums about it. But I was wondering if any other aspies have it and If they wanted to share there story or struggles or just talk about stuff.
It helps to know you arnt the only one.

jmagda
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2013, 2:27 pm

I do, and it's crippling. It's difficult eating in restaurants, I'm very uncomfortable around children, and spend the entire winter on "high alert" over norovirus. :?

nortier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2013, 4:25 pm

zarok wrote:

You're definitely not the only one. While I don't have it, I used to have a friend with Asperger's who did. She had so much trouble with it that she didn't leave the house for three years, and developed other phobias as a result. It had a big effect on the rest of her life, career and relationships. Luckily, she has recovered thanks to lots and lots of therapy and 'scaring' herself into doing things.

It's a horrifying thing to deal with, yet it seems to go under the radar rather often. I'm always glad to see people speak up about it. I'm really sorry to pollute this thread with a post, since this doesn't directly concern me and you're looking for help. I just wanted to say good job for talking about it. I really hope this thread will help you!

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2013, 4:57 pm

No its fine. I rather like knowing about people success and things. Before I thought I was the only one. For a long time I had OCD over this. But then I got over the ocd. For me its issues come from my restricted diet because of food allergies. and then being a picky eater. and then emetophobia. Generally I am ok with things until i have to burp. But recently a friend of mine, a girl, who had been very close to me kissing her nose and such, asked me to take her home because she felt sick and didn't want to get sick around me causing me to flip out and i realized how bad it was. I thought I wouldn't be able to take care of a spouse or children and gave up on that. And i realized im afraid to kiss people because of this. It is so intrusive.

She ended up feeling better shortly and i was ok. But had she been sick i don't know what i would have done so i am seeking a therapist in my area to help with this.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 7:33 pm

I mentioned that I have it way too many times here before and I really don't feel like mentioning it again. It's not as bad as it was when I was younger but I'm still afraid to get on a plane or a ship, which is especially bad during the summer. :(

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2013, 11:34 pm

I still don't see how people go on cruises. I go through times that it is bad others when its not too bad. Like I can hold it together enough but it still is nerve wracking to get on a bus or plane.

Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 6:53 am

It only affected me in terms of food, smelling it and trying new foods.

I got better as I got older, I guess it's entirely gone thanks in part to whiskey :? But the more you expose yourself, you learn to get comfortable I suppose. I guess it's alot easier said than done depending on how intense the fear is, or how intense your desire to elliminate the fear is.

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2013, 12:59 pm

The fact you could even drink whiskey makes it seem to me like you had the fear but not the actual phobia. I am scared to death of drinking or being around people drinking.

TheJaguarEmpress
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jun 2013, 2:17 pm

psychologically whacked

[video removed as requested by the op]

Last edited by TheJaguarEmpress on 24 Jun 2013, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm

That video is embeded and did not show up. I am not sure what you mean or what it is.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 9:48 pm

I hate vomiting, I will do whatever I can to avoid it, but sometimes, 3 margarita's and 8 whiskey sours in 3 hours...

Just get it over with.

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2013, 10:47 pm

Im not sure you understand what it means to have a phobia of something where you wash your hands till they bleed or wont leave the house for fear or wont sleep over at friendds houses or go to partys or gett in vehecles

also for that video please remove it that could trigger someone,

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2013, 6:05 pm

I didn't know this was a "thing" but I think I have it.

I think it is normal to be massively grossed out by other people vomiting. But I have a fear/disgust/inability to do it myself.

Even if I have eaten something very bad, have a stomach bug that makes everyone throw up or have gotten dangerously drunk. It is pretty much impossible to make myself throw up. By body does not want to allow it, for good reason I think. The times I have, it has been a extremely exhausting and unpleasant ordeal. Just not for me.

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2013, 7:13 pm

Generally to make it a phobia you fear it from everyday things and it interferes with your life. Also we are afraid of anywhere that it is likely for a person to get sick like in a plane on a boat in a bar, children, school. It can be fear of germs that might make you sick or fear of anything that can make you sick. Most people with emetophobia would rather die than vomit. We have panic attacks because we mistake our body's natural things for nausea. like burping gas constipation being too full being too hungry, indigestion.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 9:19 am

zarok wrote:
I have had emetaphobia for about as long as i can remember or well at least 10 years and I recently had a scare and started looking it up and found some great hings and I saw some other forums about it. But I was wondering if any other aspies have it and If they wanted to share there story or struggles or just talk about stuff.

Don't worry, you're definitely not alone. Fear of vomiting is one of the most common phobias. Nobody likes vomiting anyway, but having a significant fear of it is not abnormal.

I have a huge fear of vomiting. I would love to work at a preschool with small children, but the only thing that is stopping me is a phobia of vomiting. All small children pick up different things, including these vomiting bugs, and sometimes they don't always express when they are feeling sick, and so their parents think they are all right and just think they didn't want their breakfast because they are being awkward, so they bring them into preschool and they mix with the other children and touch things and not wash their hands, then not long sooner they suddenly spew up all over the place. And then there could be 5 other children in the same room that this one child could have passed it on to, and there could be virus germs all over the place, and if it's a strong bug like a norovirus, you could catch it, even if you have a strong immunity to it.

I haven't vomited at all since I was 10, although I have had attacks of nausea since then obviously, but not very often. In fact it's so rare for me to feel sick, that when I do, I start worrying that I might finally have picked up a bug. Also I start trying to remember everything I have eaten in the last 12 hours, in case it might be some sort of food poisoning.

I always seem to feel sick at theme parks. I feel incredibly sick if I haven't eaten for hours before going on rides, but if I eat too soon before going on rides, I get a stomachache and feel all full for ages, and start to feel sick a little. So I've got to balance out exactly when to eat before going on rides. Usually theme parks are busy places, so it frightens me to throw up in front of everyone, being so I suffer from social phobia as well.

I used to feel sick when travelling, but I don't any more. Instead I get really, really sleepy.

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2013, 12:51 pm

Most of that us text book. I also dont get sick often. in fact in 20 years i can only being sick 3 times. the other 3 times were allergic reactions to foods. however i have cyliac (gluten and dairy allergy) so if i eat bread i will get cramps which lead to a panic attack. After learning this my anxiety went down but still if i wake up in the middle of the night or have to burp or get indigestion i get anxious. I think my biggest issue right now is finding a job that i can handle. Also one where having an allergic reaction or panic attack is seen as something i can not work for a few hours. I am looking into being a grocery store stocker.