Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

makemom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2013, 9:44 pm

From my perspective (my daughter is 19) I wish I had gotten her a cell phone earlier, and taught her to use it and to text earlier. She had trouble at college this year, because of not being good at carrying a phone/texting her classmates to meet up for class projects, etc... And often I could not get ahold of her for days.

Like it or not, it's an expected skill in today's society.

I recommend maybe an older cell phone that has not so many bells and whistles?

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 11:33 pm

Thanks for all the feedbacks. I did purchase a cell phone today but it won't arrive for another 7 business days. I'm also not going to present it as "his" cell - it'll be the "family" cell. He will use it as need be and won't be taking it to school. I bought a new cell but without a data plan, without texting option and without internet access. It's strictly for calling me when he's out and about alone.

I am so angry with his behavior lately, though, I could run off. The disrespect is unbelievable!

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 6:25 am

I'm glad you found a solution. Have to run to work!

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 6:44 am

Just get a prepaid phone like one of these, there's one that's $15.
You pay for minutes and when those run out you buy more, they are good for a certain number of months depending on what how much you get. No plan or monthly fee. Not a smart phone, he won't be downloading Angry Birds or anything like that.

However even the cheapo phones will use minutes to connect to the store for ringtones and unnecessary stuff like that.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/device ... hones.html

*edit

Sorry I did not read to the end to see you already got a phone. I will leave this response for people's future reference.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKidsPictureShow

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 10:33 am

ASDsmom wrote:
Thanks for all the feedbacks. I did purchase a cell phone today but it won't arrive for another 7 business days. I'm also not going to present it as "his" cell - it'll be the "family" cell. He will use it as need be and won't be taking it to school. I bought a new cell but without a data plan, without texting option and without internet access. It's strictly for calling me when he's out and about alone.

I am so angry with his behavior lately, though, I could run off. The disrespect is unbelievable!

What you're doing is awesome. You are so right. This isn't an autistic moment. This is clear disrespect. All I have to say is good luck. If you want to know what makes me feel better. I make myself a nice wet and soggy tuna fish sandwich with goobbing gobs of may. :wink:

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 3:33 pm

Well as it turned out, adding a new phone to my plan saved me $30 per month WITH a free phone and second line. So, not only did it not cost me anything, I actually saved money.

I had a rough morning last night and this morning.. I burst into tears this morning over a banana!! Just not happy with where he's heading and I can't imagine what high school will look like.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 6:11 pm

We found out the same thing when we got my son a phone. Makes no sense, but whatever, right?

Hang in there. Don't forget - since middle school/early high school sucks for everybody, it sucks twenty times more for kids who are delayed: he is under a HUGE amount of stress. I really liked this article some one (Ettina?) linked earlier about middle school - http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html It expresses exactly what our kids are dealing with, and why they are frustrated and so often appear rude.

I am guessing that once his peers start to regain their sanity, so will he.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 7:36 pm

ASDsmom wrote:

I had a rough morning last night and this morning.. I burst into tears this morning over a banana!! Just not happy with where he's heading and I can't imagine what high school will look like.

Every child is different, and there are no guarantees, but for us, High School has been miles better than Middle School was. Just hand in there.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 9:03 pm

Well there are a lot of variables here:

1) Chelation Therapy
2) Hormones
3) Graduation - leaving his school - transition - fears
4) Social - he's butting heads with his friends (they're not wanting to hang with him anymore.. or so it seems)
5) Testing boundaries (typical of his age-group)
6) Probiotic die-off (I've restarted this to help his stomach issues)
7) Encopresis

So ya, there's a few things going on in his life.. doesn't make it easier for me though, who's constantly worried and is being verbally attacked (sometimes physically too). I was just so happy when the GAPS program was working so well (IMO) and now I feel like he's regressed .. PLUS having to deal with Encopresis issues .. which is spilling into "shower" issues.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 10:46 pm

Quote:
1) Chelation Therapy

8O Do you believe in the vaccine theory of Autism. This theory has been disproven and is unsound. If you're doing chelation you need to STOP NOW. You're doing it based upon pseudo-science. This may be playing a factor.

Quote:
2) Hormones

I agree.

Quote:
3) Graduation - leaving his school - transition - fears

I agree.

Quote:
4) Social - he's butting heads with his friends (they're not wanting to hang with him anymore.. or so it seems)

This may be happening.

Quote:
5) Testing boundaries (typical of his age-group)

How do you know he is testing boundaries?

6) Probiotic die-off (I've restarted this to help his stomach issues)

The chelation therapy may be affecting his stomach if you're doing chelation therapy.

Quote:
7) Encopresis

So ya, there's a few things going on in his life.. doesn't make it easier for me though, who's constantly worried and is being verbally attacked (sometimes physically too). I was just so happy when the GAPS program was working so well (IMO) and now I feel like he's regressed .. PLUS having to deal with Encopresis issues .. which is spilling into "shower" issues.

Again, it may the chelation therapy. Like I said, it is a pseudo-science and the vaccine theory has been discredited. I am asking you to please stop the chelation therapy.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 11:10 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Do you believe in the vaccine theory of Autism.

No I don't. He was tested for metals and tested high.

Quote:
How do you know he is testing boundaries?

Because, for example, he came home at 11pm without even telling me where he was. He's never done this before. He is always very good at "checking-in" with me by the hour.

Quote:
The chelation therapy may be affecting his stomach if you're doing chelation therapy.

Yes and we are being careful with that. I didn't realize how serious this process is.