Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

starrynightmare
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2013, 4:39 pm

I find that I interrupt people while they're talking to me in a conversation a lot. I feel like they are talking too slow, or I already got enough information from them to continue the conversation on my end. This especially happens at work, when I am collaborating with others in an office environment. I feel bad, but I hate wasting my time listening to a probably not needed bit of information from the person's sentence before responding.

Does anyone else struggle with this? Or does anyone have any tips on slowing down my lightning-speed thoughts or actually caring about what people are saying 100%?

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 5:06 pm

I have this problem pretty bad too. Mostly over the phone though. On the phone pretty much every sentence out of my mouth ends up interrupting the other person. I don't mean to, but I always think they're finished talking, then they start up again right when I do. In person I'm a lot better since people will usually give you some sort of visual clue that they're done talking and you can speak up.

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 5:16 am

Yes, I have this issue too. A lot of people just take waaaay too long to convey information. I just try to keep telling myself at work that it is considered really rude to interrupt people all the time, and just wait until they have finished. Failing that, if you hop up and down (not literally!) with an impatient look - I often put my hand up as if I am in class waiting to say something - then sometimes people will let you cut in. I try to save that for when I am in a real hurry though.

Try to think how you would feel if people kept interrupting you. It is as if your opinion and thoughts are not valued or considered important.

I know what you mean though. I am getting better at not actually interrupting, but I still find waiting for most people to finish speaking incredibly frustrating. It is just one of those things you need to learn to fit in with society.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2013, 10:55 am

Yup I have this problem too. I try to keep quiet and then I wait for them to finish but I start repeating what I want to say in my head the whole time so that I do not forget what I want to say. That is why I think I blurt out... or interrupt people most of the time.

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2013, 1:37 pm

I tend to interrupt people over the course of a conversation. I'm not always sure about the length of pause when people have stopped talking. Also, like others, I tend to have lightning quick responses ready that I would like to get out before the opportunity has passed. I try not to interrupt people and I try to listen to them.

Over the phone, I interrupt and sometimes talk over the other person.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 9:27 am

I do this a lot! For me though, my interruption is almost always trying to finish what they were saying for them so I can barrel straight into what I want to say on the matter.
I agree that it's probably because I feel like people take too long to say what they need and once I've gotten the information I want to move the conversation along quickly.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2020, 1:19 pm

I have this problem. It caused me issues with my student teaching internship, because I was told that it is "unprofessional behavior". I have no idea that I am doing it when I do it, it's like a tic of some kind. I really have no control over it. It seems to happen mostly when I am stressed, upset, angry, or excited. My mom sometimes yells at me for it and says "Can't I ever finish a sentence!" I try really hard but I've never found a way to stop interrupting. I wish I could.

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard