The Male Restroom Situation? Stalls or Urinals?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

apequake
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2013, 8:58 am

I have notice this trait about myself for many years. In fact, I cannot remember when I did not do this. I have what many consider a shy bladder - meaning it's difficult for me to urinate in urinals regardless of anyone is in the restroom unless I can lock the door of the restroom. The thought is the closeness to another person, the difficulty in breathing and my mind can't release. I am able to do it more frequently if I have enough alcohol, but that is about it.

Many times if the bathroom's stalls are occupied, I hold it for another 15 minutes. I am the only one I know that really has this issue. I wonder if this is common among Apsies or if this is something a little more off the grid.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 9:07 am

:eew: I never understood the concept of males having communal urinals, it's gross. Who wants to see another person going to the toilet, I don't even approve of people doing that in front of their loved ones. It's like some weird alternative reality to me, it shouldn't be so.

I believe maybe the Romans (and/or others) used to sit on the "crapper" together passing "no. 2's" whilst chatting, it's revolting.

I don't even like it that the cubicles (stalls) often don't have floor to ceiling walls, just partitions with big gaps, so everyone is treated to the sounds of other humans doing their business and whatever foul odours accompany them.

Sounds like you are on a similar wavelength to me on these matters, I don't know if it's an Aspie thing, but an Aspie friend did tell me that Aspies are frequently disgusted by things. There are many things that do disgust me.

Even today, I was in the queue at the post office, and this woman in front of me started holding her nose and sniffing snottily, and I was so grossed out I had to move backwards.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 9:34 am

When I was in college, the dorm didn't have any kind of petition between the crappers. It never seemed to bother anyone.

Also, the shower room was one big room with eight showers with no petitions or anything. I really liked those showers. I would turn them all on hot and take a nice steam bath whenever I could.

I remember one senior who pushed his motorcycle up to the third floor of the dorm and overhauled it in the showers.

kvinneakt
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jun 2013, 9:36 am

Wait until you get age related pee slowdown. I now use the time to practice meditation, seriously. Just stand (or sit) and observe the many sensations. The hell with anyone paying any attention.

Re Roman toilets: it's true. I have seen ancient Roman toilets. I think they were unisex. There was even a space for performers to play music, sing, whatever to entertain the constipated captive audience.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 9:36 am

Yes, I agree, they're gross, embarrassing to use, and they should all be removed and replaced with proper cubicles. They are also messy and unhygienic. :eew:

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 9:41 am

Lintar wrote:
Yes, I agree, they're gross, embarrassing to use, and they should all be removed and replaced with proper cubicles. They are also messy and unhygienic. :eew:

Terrible idea. Replacing urinals with cubicles just means more and more urine on the seats.

apequake
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2013, 9:49 am

It's the personal space thing with me. I think the partitions height is a big deal though. I think the overriding factor is when people try to talk to you while your handling personal business - if that happens, regardless of my level intoxication, it's a deal breaker.

I am hygienic, but I tend not to get grossed out too much (although I generally notice everything - or take a mental inventory of "gross things"). The gross things for me is anything to do with seeing the death or results of death of animals. When I was eight, I saw a cat go after a mouse and I was extremely afraid of rodents for many years before I have gotten over it some in the past couple years.

Showers are entirely other thing. I usually held out until I went home if I could. I failed gym one semester because I intentionally did not bring tennis shoes to avoid that. I learned to not face anyone in the shower and bit the bullet later.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 9:52 am

Are you guys really incapable of lifting the seat and aiming, can't you lean forward or something!

Maybe this would be a good time for an Aspie invention, you know how hoses have attachments that you can vary how the water exits the hose..?

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

BookPerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2013, 9:57 am

Ugh, I never use urinals. Never knew why, but I just hate them. Partly the lack of privacy and just the standing up factor. Not to say something gross, but I could never really use the urinal without something getting somewhat wet.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 10:16 am

whirlingmind wrote:
Are you guys really incapable of lifting the seat and aiming, can't you lean forward or something!

Maybe this would be a good time for an Aspie invention, you know how hoses have attachments that you can vary how the water exits the hose..?

:lol: A little OT, but my youngest will keep chatting away while taking care of business, and his attention wanders along with his aim. I've been emphasizing keeping the door shut for privacy/less distraction, and then keeping my fingers crossed.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Jun 2013, 2:14 pm

Last year I went to the local music festival. Queued up for a wee, but when I got to the front, I realised that there wasn't a urinal there at all, and people were just urinating against a metal fence (like this one: http://www.evetrakway.co.uk/image/produ ... y/GS71.jpg ). From both sides.

Needless to say, I pretended to do a wee (actually I just played with the buttons on my shorts), and then joined the long queue for the toilets.

whirlingmind wrote:

Mostly, yes. Some people don't bother, unfortunately, and of course there will always be intoxicated people. Plus sometimes your aim can be off if the urethra is partially blocked, which has an effect like the hose you speak of.

apequake
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2013, 2:35 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Needless to say, I pretended to do a wee (actually I just played with the buttons on my shorts), and then joined the long queue for the toilets.

Haha. I have done this more than once! :)

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

I can't stand urinals either, I find it really creepy to be doing by business with someone else standing not 2 feet to my side. I always use the stalls regardless.

whirlingmind wrote:

Well, this is really more of a physics question! It's not so much the aiming that's the issue as it is the splashing...even with perfect aim a few errant drops splash out now and then. Not to mention those rare moments when you end up with 2 streams going in different directions, a total catch-22 situation! (it's happened to me a few times, fml) And lifting the seat...I always do at home, but I'll admit in some of the grosser public bathrooms I won't, just because I don't want to have to touch those things with a 10-foot pole!

mitch413
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2013, 9:28 pm

apequake wrote:
I have notice this trait about myself for many years. In fact, I cannot remember when I did not do this. I have what many consider a shy bladder - meaning it's difficult for me to urinate in urinals regardless of anyone is in the restroom unless I can lock the door of the restroom. The thought is the closeness to another person, the difficulty in breathing and my mind can't release. I am able to do it more frequently if I have enough alcohol, but that is about it.

Many times if the bathroom's stalls are occupied, I hold it for another 15 minutes. I am the only one I know that really has this issue. I wonder if this is common among Apsies or if this is something a little more off the grid.

I have this exact same problem as well. Why? I don't know. It may or may not be an Aspie thing, but I can relate.

Regardless, it's a frustrating problem that doesn't seem to have a solution. I'm usually okay in a stall, but a urinal in a restroom with no lock is much more of an issue and I've done the fake piss many times before.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jun 2013, 10:00 pm

I use the stalls if I'm not alone in public restrooms.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

27 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm

I cannot do it in front of other people. No way!! Stalls for sure.