Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 10:21 am

Anyone ever make bento boxes for lunch? I'm starting work soon, and won't have time/money to go out to eat, and lots of American food doesn't really keep well in a lunch box, and requires being reheated/etc, so bento seems a bit more logical. Plus I'd be kawaii desu ne.

Anyone have some fairly easy bento box recipes? http://justbento.com/ I'm on there now reading, but my main problem whenever I cook any Japanese food is...I suck at it and my presentation always looks like crap. So... Help?

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 8:51 am

My mother used to make bento for lunch when I was in high school but I've never really made it myself.
I made one for my daughter once when she was little. I made a Hello Kitty onigiri, sausages shaped like octopuses, eggs with seaweed and some vegges. It was super-kawaii allright.
But I can't do it everyday, it's too much work.
I've always admired people who could get up every morning early enough to make bento.
It's so much easier to just to make a sandwich and put it in a ziplock bag.

So I can't help you with this at all but one thing I know is that putting Umeboshi on the rice in bento delays the spoiling.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 9:08 am

There's a ton of books/ websites on bento ideas. I haven't made them in a long time, but I think this is the website I used to like. wendolonia.com