Where did you find diagnostic resources?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

denning
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jun 2013, 8:55 pm

Hello,

I suspect that I may meet the criteria for ASD or similar, but I'm unable to find affordable resources in the community.

There are a number of factors which make me think it is a possibility which I should explore in more detail. I've taken the usual battery of online tests over the past few years. I've tried to be as objective as possible when taking these tests and I've bounced my answers off of my partner each time to ensure that they are reasonable responses. There have been others, but the recent numbers that I recall:

- AQ score: 32
- EQ score: 21 (the version found on guardian.co.uk)
- RDOS aspie quiz: 126 out of 200 (final version 2)
- Diagnosed with major depression, social anxiety, ADD, ulcerative colitis*

(* I've misplaced my research, but I have a vague recollection there was one or more study suggesting a correlation between ASD and these conditions. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

For what it matters, I've had a long history of intense, all-consuming interests (which generally last 1-12 months - not enough for me to become an expert, but sufficient enough to cause a significant disruption in my life - I'll sometimes spend 16 hours straight working on something, barely pausing to eat or drink):

- Morse code
- Shortwave radio
- Cryptography
- Programming
- Bike mechanics
- Plants
- Dwarf Fortress
- Lockpicking
- etc.

Probably the above is superfluous information, but the simple point I'm trying to make is that I think there is something here worth investigating. I've reached an impasse in my life, and I'm having intense trouble dealing with day-to-day matters that many/most find fairly straight-forward. I'm unsure how to deal with these things and feel that a diagnosis may assist me in being able to better understand myself and find useful supports.

Has anyone been able to access professional ASD diagnostic resources in Canada? I'm ideally looking for resources which are free or nearly free and in the Lower Mainland, B.C.

Thanks very much for reading this. I appreciate any feedback that anyone can provide.

-----

Edit: Since it's a relevant, material factor and wasn't stated previously -> I am an adult and would not be eligible for any diagnostic resources which are only available to youth.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 9:02 pm

I actually saw a psychologist to get a diagnosis in November of 2006. It is a long story of how or why I saw that psychologist, but I can perhaps tell that story upon a future post. I did take an Aspie quiz before the official diagnosis, and got 38; thus the test suspected that I am most likely an aspie.