Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 7:05 pm

Is anyone else here a vegan, or an aspiring vegan? I.e. someone who not only does not consume meat but who also abstains from dairy products?

I started eating vegan around 2004 after I was very sick... it did improve my health significantly. I almost never get sick anymore, and when I do, it's a milder version of whatever cold the rest of the household has. I used to be wiped out by colds but now my immunity seems much improved.

I do sometimes eat meat or dairy but my goal is to be 100% vegan.

I take a multivitamin for B12 and get calcium from greens and fortified juices. Dandelion greens and bok choy contain more absorbable calcium than does milk.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 7:09 pm

Count me out.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 8:43 pm

I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 9:03 pm

um...hi un luna elsa

I'm sort of on the fence. The thing is the last time I went vegetarian, I felt great, AND I absolutely got a kind of puky reaction to cheese and milk.

Though I got a lot of sh@t from my coworkers at lunchtime when I went for a lettuce sandwich in the roastbeef facility. I never could figure that.

Basically, I am at times a changeling. Right now I am transitioning back to vegetarianism. I think suppliments would be great. As a rule the only great meal I know how to make is tofu stirfry teriaki (tastes just like chicken)

Not for any green reasons other than that is the best diet for my body/blood type, and its where I don't feel clogged down.

And I'm just craving cans of spiniach and growing things.
And...I like to think that if I couldn't kill it myself I shouldn't be eating it.
I miss having never known a world where hunting was driven by hunger and eating invoved the satisfaction of curbing starvation.

Though...I change clothes often enough if I NEED meat-I'm going to eat it.

I'm MOSTLY vegan. soy milk lattes and all that. I'd even switch to soy cheese. And I LOVE garden burgers. The bean type better than the potato type.

I don't pass the vegan test though. so no.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 9:06 pm

ahayes wrote:
I don't eat anything that casts a shadow.

all your food is grown underground? and groundhogs?

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 1:06 am

A read a study that the greatest predictor of developing cancer in old age is the amount of non-vegan products (including dairy) that a person consumes. So the more meat and dairy you consume, the more likely you are to develop cancers. I also read a study that many cases of Alzheimer's actually turn out to be mad cow disease, but this is suppressed by the meat industry.

And if you look at the diet of primates, their diet is 98% vegan, 2% meat. Apes are one of the strongest creatures on the planet.

Tim_Tex wrote:
Count me out.

Tim

:lol:

Oh well, maybe someday, right? I guess asking a Texan to go vegan is a bit much.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 3:06 am

en_una_isla wrote:
Oh well, maybe someday, right? I guess asking a Texan to go vegan is a bit much.

Yeah... :lol:

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 7:34 pm

I try, but really only manage to avoid meat, however I have managed very long periods as a vegan and I don't think you need suppliments, just the correct diet and lifestyle.
peace j

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2007, 9:49 am

I'm vegan but will probably go back to eating meat once in a while when my girlfriend moves in, free range organic. She couldn't tolerate keeping the apartment vegan, gluten free, soy free and low sugar, and the other things I can't really compromise on. Seen too many positive changes. It seems some vegans are motivated by emotions, but for me it was a much more calculated decision because of the treatment of animals before they're slaughtered. I have no issue with the slaughter itself. But I have found since going vegan that I'm a bit more emotionally sensitive to the suffering of animals. Still won't hesitate to swing a broomstick at a mouse in my house or swat a fly.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 1:49 pm

vegans destroy the lives of my food twofold: they munch its food away and dont buy their products, therefore being responsible for a massive surge of poverty among cows. ;)

nah, seriously: i enjoy meat a good bit too much to become vegetarian, let alone go vegan. in terms of health, i subscribe to the doctrine of a "good mix" - nothing in abundance (exceptions like meatless days or bbq meat-only feasts exist, though...) and to follow my appetites as much as possible. when i crave a good bit of beef, how could i deny my body what he wants? same with salads, different spices, beverages and so on... just go with the flow, and i somehow manage to get a little bit of everything.
and the whole ethical business, i dont share. period. i am okay with people who, for themselves, dont want to eat meat, for whatever reasons, but that doesnt make anyone a morally better person (except, maybe, in that persons own eyes - and so be it, but leave me alone) and i prefer to not be treated as if i was a sinner who needs to be converted to a random belief system (regardless whether its religious, ethical, political or whatever) for salvation.

what bugs me a good bit more is: how is veganism in any way related to games, sports or fitness? maybe it could be shoehorned into a connection to health-related topics but id rather put it to fashion (not saying that all of you vegans are following a fad without thought - but its far more related to fashion in terms of it being a very much en vogue topic AND being dependent of a certain amount of luxury).

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

11 Sep 2007, 8:04 pm

en_una_isla wrote:
Is anyone else here a vegan, or an aspiring vegan? I.e. someone who not only does not consume meat but who also abstains from dairy products?

I started eating vegan around 2004 after I was very sick... it did improve my health significantly. I almost never get sick anymore, and when I do, it's a milder version of whatever cold the rest of the household has. I used to be wiped out by colds but now my immunity seems much improved.

I do sometimes eat meat or dairy but my goal is to be 100% vegan.

I take a multivitamin for B12 and get calcium from greens and fortified juices. Dandelion greens and bok choy contain more absorbable calcium than does milk.

I am vegan...but have had the complete opposite reaction to you.
Instead of not getting as sick, I am getting more sick, a lot more frequently. I'm getting the flu often and have been getting fevers every two months or so.

I also take multivitamins but have no idea why I am getting sick more often.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 2:32 pm

En Una Isla, I must say that you at least have a good reason for being vegan, it's for health. A lot of people are against dairy because they think some how milking a cow is causing it harm.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 2:34 pm

I'm not anti-vegan btw, I just don't grasp the argument that milking a cow does it any harm.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2007, 4:22 pm

I have read that being vegan is not healthy because you do not get all the nutrients that the body needs. I have also read that vegans can eat special foods that will give them the necessary nutrients. I am not vegan myself, and do not plan to be, but I have gone vegetarian for a few weeks. That does not seem long, but it was quite a feat for me to avoid certain meats just that long. I may return to vegetarianism that since I am now becoming interested in Buddhism.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2007, 9:55 am

I feel bad for the animals and everything, but... They just taste so good.

kindofbluenote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2007, 10:04 pm

I don't eat things that were killed, but I do consume eggs and dairy. However I make sure the eggs come from cage free chickens, and I try to get cruelty-free dairy, but it's not always easy. I don't do it for health, but I just don't want animals to suffer for me to eat, as long as I have an alternative.