Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2013, 3:46 am

I have found that, regardless of where I work, I often like people that everyone else dislikes and/or makes fun of and I dislike people that everyone else seems to love. Does anyone else experience this? Could it be due to not reading social cues, intentions, and motives the way other people do?

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

ChromaticRaven
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jun 2013, 4:12 am

It could be that, or maybe you just are more of a caring person than the rest are - seeing people for who they really are. Many people tend to just "follow the crowd" before even have given the person/situation a chance - they just jump to conclusion that all of those people are correct so there's no need to look for the real truth, they tag along like a lost puppy finally having found his pack. I find it very annoying that people do this, but it's very common nowadays for people to be more concerned about doing what everyone else is doing (in order to be accepted), instead of making more choices of their own.

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2013, 4:16 am

I don't like it when people talk behind someone's back. I was bullied constantly when I was growing up and often overheard or found out from someone that people were saying very cruel things about me when I wasn't around. My view is that if you don't like someone, either tell them and get it out in the open, or keep you mouth shut and ignore them.

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

ChromaticRaven
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jun 2013, 4:29 am

Teasaidh wrote:
I don't like it when people talk behind someone's back. I was bullied constantly when I was growing up and often overheard or found out from someone that people were saying very cruel things about me when I wasn't around. My view is that if you don't like someone, either tell them and get it out in the open, or keep you mouth shut and ignore them.

Sorry to hear that, i experienced the same as a kid to. I guess since you know the feeling you can imagine what it would have been like if those people being talked about behind their backs at work were you. You empathize with them, but also it brings you back to thinking about your own past. I think what you'r saying about telling something to someone's face whenever you've only got bad things to say about them (or better just keep the garbage to themselves) is something everyone should keep in mind and follow. People who trash talk about someone whenever that person is not around only proves themselves to be weak people, not to forget selfish. Keep doing what you do, i think it's a good thing. And you can also consider telling those people that you do not think it's OK for them to do what they are doing, since it is not a professional thing to do while at work, and that they should have outgrown such childish behavior by now.

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2013, 5:06 am

Usually the people who are doing the bad mouthing are at the center of the group. They seem to be the leaders of a particular clique (yes, clique). Sadly, sometimes I feel like I have never left high school. Whenever I hear someone saying mean things about a person who isn't there, but I see them be nice when that person is around, I start to wonder what they say about me when I'm not there. Yeah, definitely brings up bad memories and feelings. One of the things I hate about working with so many women.

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

SaveTigers
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2013, 8:45 am

Teasaidh wrote:
I have found that, regardless of where I work, I often like people that everyone else dislikes and/or makes fun of and I dislike people that everyone else seems to love. Does anyone else experience this? Could it be due to not reading social cues, intentions, and motives the way other people do?

Yes! This is the story of my life. I've been that way since I was a little kid. I'm still that way. I remember working as a temp in an office once, and everyone shunned the IT guy for some reason I couldn't fathom, but actually, to me he was the only really nice and genuine person in that whole office. He seemed very surprised that I was nice to him, like he couldn't believe it.
The "popular" people are usually either mean or condescending to me or just plain ignore me, which is fine, because I usually don't like them much either.

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 1:55 am

To Teasaidh: Yes, story of my life too. I mentioned on Wrong Planet before that many unpopular people seem genuinely nice (in my opinion) whereas many popular people seem psychopathic to me. I even have the tendency to empathize with unpopular fictional characters rather than those popular fictional characters that lots of people go gaga over. I once discussed this phenomenon with somebody. He replied, "Oh I see, so you sympathize with underdogs."

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

30 Jun 2013, 4:42 am

When I was younger, I always liked villains better than heroes. Still do. They seemed more real. The heroes always had complex motives and lots of interpersonal connections. The villains were simple. Plus, they dressed better and were usually smarter. :)

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2013, 2:40 pm

icyfire4w5 wrote:
To Teasaidh: Yes, story of my life too. I mentioned on Wrong Planet before that many unpopular people seem genuinely nice (in my opinion) whereas many popular people seem psychopathic to me. I even have the tendency to empathize with unpopular fictional characters rather than those popular fictional characters that lots of people go gaga over. I once discussed this phenomenon with somebody. He replied, "Oh I see, so you sympathize with underdogs."

Yeah, I know what you mean, many times I've run into that too. I get along with the "underdogs" and different people more than I do with the "popular crowd."

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2013, 2:43 pm

Teasaidh wrote:
When I was younger, I always liked villains better than heroes. Still do. They seemed more real. The heroes always had complex motives and lots of interpersonal connections. The villains were simple. Plus, they dressed better and were usually smarter. :)

Sometimes I do too. Many times I think they do have legitimate gripes although most of the time I do not like their actions. Overall, I liked the superheroes in the Marvel Comics over DC since the latter's superheroes seem too "squeeky clean" (except Batman) to me, especially Superman.

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

04 Jul 2013, 6:18 pm

To NowhereMan1966, I've always preferred Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" books the best.

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson