Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Cfroi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2013, 8:00 pm

Background

It has been two months since I resigned my senior auditor position from big 4 audit firm and joined a real estate company to be an analyst. Recently, my current boss just get mad at me for no reason. I find myself feeling so isolated with no path to go. My current colleagues are trying to calm me down and express that my boss just get emotional. But I have more consideration than that.

Old firm

I have to consider which manager I should reach to rejoin, it's quite embarrassing indeed.
I work very well there in technical aspect. But I don't get along with managers very well since I totally have no ability to please them. There are three managers I am familiar with, Ms. T, Mr. P and Ms. J.

I worked for Ms T nicely for the first year, but the she gave me over workload in second year then our bonding turns down. She has my appraisal comment: very talented in tackling issue yet unwilling to take up challenges, spreading negativity during work.

Mr. P works with me nicely and cooperatively. But he's quite work focus and seldom talk about personal issues. And he wouldn't quite respond to me when he's busy. I doubted that his kindness are only job-related and only keep friendly superficially.

Ms J is very nice to me but I had frequent argument with her during one year of cooperation. Our argument has once escalated to the boss level (audit partner). It was actually my fault to have too much complains. She's leaving Hong Kong office in three days.

Making a decision
I understand that I should take my own charge in any decision. But I want some more different opinions, if you don't mind taking some of your time reading.

1) Despite my poor adaptation skills, stay at current position.
(some NT friends say I should give a longer try on this executive assistant role, yet, they don't understand I am incapable of pleasing boss. I got many difficulty that they can't imagine, e.g. I can't pick dishes from menu properly.)

2) Find another job.
(Some NT friends think I am able to find another job in my own financial industry, but again, they don't know I have adaptation problem.)

3) Rejoining my old firm.
(Quick access and minimize my anxiety to lowest level. My old colleagues say old firm would welcome me. But I don't get along with managers and boss well. So, I was wondering which manager I should ask for referral.)

Thanks for the patience of reading my story.

You are sort of neurotypical but shows signs of autism. You probably enjoy intellectual activities more than socializing or maybe you enjoy socializing, but you aren't genius at it. You could be autistic, but may not be.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 1:56 pm

First of all, did you notice that you had problems with your superiors on both jobs? Have you considered that you could be partially responsible for it?

Judging from your comments on your previous managers, you seem to be offended by relatively minor mistakes of them. You did not provide details about any of them, but here are my thoughts on each of them:

- Ms. T's greatest shortcoming is her negativity, which I admit is a very unpleasing trait. However, your motivation should not come from other people: as long as you like your job, her negativity should not affect. I have co-workers who are very negative, too: I get along with them and do not let them affect my work. About overworking you, did you try telling her about it? Why did your bonding turned down? Most bosses will keep giving work to you for as long as you let them: when you feel overworked, you need to tell them as nicely as you can.

- Mr. P is the most puzzling one. From what you said, he keeps things on a professional level. I do not see anything wrong with that: the workplace is supposed to be a professional place. As for not giving you much attention, you said he was busy. That is understandable. Besides, you said you work very well in the technical aspect and you were a senior auditor, which implies you do not need to be guided by your managers all the time. In this case, I think you are the one overreacting: I do not see anything wrong with Mr. P's behavior.

- Ms. J and you got along until you started arguing, which, by your own admission, was your fault. That is evidence that your problems with authority might come from you, rather than them. Anyway, you said she is leaving in a few days, therefore, she should not be considered in your decision.

- Your current boss seems to be a problem. If he/she gets angry for no reason at all, staying in this job is not going to help you. If there is actually a reason for your boss to be angry, you should see if you can overcome it.

In your place, I would try to get back to the previous job, but I would also try to be more flexible when dealing with my superiors. Not only their offenses seem minor, but they are also very common among managers everywhere. Besides, they are still your superiors: it is not wise to argue with them about such small things.

However, since you seem to have a good resume, I agree with your friends when they say that you could easily get another job. You seem to be qualified, you just need to take care of your problems with authorities. I still prefer the "get back to your old job" alternative, but if you really do not want to, I am sure you can get another job.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

Cfroi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2013, 6:42 pm

You really pin to the point, I got a lot of problem in following authority. Btw, I have started sending resume to Mr. P, hoping there is some feedback soon.

You are sort of neurotypical but shows signs of autism. You probably enjoy intellectual activities more than socializing or maybe you enjoy socializing, but you aren't genius at it. You could be autistic, but may not be.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 8:09 pm

Excellent. I think you have a good chance to get your previous job back.

Cfroi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2013, 12:24 am

Yesterday I called Ms T, talked for a while on my new challenges faced in commercial industry. She understands that switching from professional firm to commercial industry is needs lots of adaptation. However, in the end of conversation, when I ask her to let me rejoin, she replied: "I am not the one in charge, why dont you ask the HR partner directly" She shouldnt be responding in that way. Because I am only asking for referral, and it would more likely to be hired if she recommend me to the partner.

Months ago, I lots of argument with Ms J, who is the best friend of Ms T. I fully understands that my bad reputation has been built in her perception. That's why she's kind of reluctant.

On the phone, I further requested her to help me forward my cv to the partner. She agreed.

Without a positive feedback, my mood turns to the lowest level. I don't really have to ability to take up my current job right now. I am during the phase before meltdown, i believe.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 7:30 pm

She agreed to forward your resume to the HR partner. That is a good thing, even if she does not intend to give you a referral: at least you are already "in". It is a good idea to keep looking for other options just in case, though: if you stay idle, the meltdown you fear will surely happen, and that is never a good thing.

Cfroi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2013, 2:02 am

After my further call with Mr. P, he told me everything about the boss's consideration. On one hand the headcount is to be breezed, on the other hand, the partner level boss don't like me. Since I had some arguments about the strict policy before, the bosses would not accept a guy who had been "rebellious" before.

I am feeling so regret now. Being my misbehaviors in my prior firm. A lot flashes of past good times with my friends and colleagues comes to my minds. I wish time could go back again. It's like I am ruining everything I once built. :cry:

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 8:28 pm

William, if I were you, I would stop your negativity about your past firm. You hold on to your good memories and try to learn from the other memories. If your colleagues at your current firm already know of your troubles with your boss, I see no issue in your asking them to learn how you can better get along with them. Believe it or not, things can always have the chance to get better. And colleagues can give you some valuable insight. Also, try and get some training in teamwork skills.

Cfroi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2013, 6:50 pm

I will work hard to pass through my probation. Basically my current boss give me credit by extending my probation period from end of July to end of August. It's originally only three months of probation, now extended to four.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 9:47 pm

Would it be possible to get specific metrics about what you need to work on? Some bosses might be willing to explain. Some, though, just say 'everything.' At this point, it might not hurt to ask, so that you can get a game plan for change in place.

Cfroi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2013, 7:56 pm

My current role is assisting an executive in general management level in handling real estate business. Other than that, a minor part of my duty includes preparing monthly reports. But those reports are nobody.

She (the executive, also my supervisor) has asked me to study a real property project and assist her to negotiation with client. I get sucked in booking restaurant, printing powerpoints and giving factual evidence verbally. My whole body and mouth always get totally still all around. I know that I got analytical mind on excel work and on research work, but never had I have the ability to speak out those ideas verbally.

That's why I finally realised that I can't be suitable for this role.