Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 10:20 pm

I'm a nurse in a nursing home. Most, if not all, of the aides and nurses are foreign-born. I guess Americans shy from these jobs because they're "over the top" stressful. I wish there were accommodations for spectrumites but that doesn't exists. Simply put, I took the job because I need the money to pay the rent.

Everyone's the boss where I work. You don't get a break all day. There are people everywhere. Residents are constantly screaming, yelling and wheeling their chairs into the walls or each other. Call-bells and lights are constantly buzzing. The distractions can easily cause you to make a med error. Your work load is heavy.

When I leave at the end of the day, I'm so drained and tired, I just want to go home and sleep. I don't feel this occupation is conducive to my mental health but I don't have a choice. Yes, I drink, but I feel there's no way I could give that up. I know that's destructive, but I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 11:25 pm

I feel you, and it sucks. I have it easier because I only work part time time and do get breaks, but I feel so drained from my job quite often. I tip my beer to you...

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 1:11 am

Thanks. I don't generally ask for help (Aspie Pride, I guess). I feel like I am drowning, though.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2013, 9:45 am

Hi redrobin62,

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties with your job. I guess it's difficult for there to be accommodations when the nature of the job is already stressful. Have you looked into trying to change jobs?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 10:27 pm

Hi WrongWay. Yes. Over the past 20-something years I've worked at McDonald's and various other job sites. All were entry level and never paid enough to get me an apartment. The money I also made as a recording engineer and band member wasn't enough so, by default, I always ended back up in nursing.

This thread should probably be in The Haven because it seems like I'm on a collision course to my own defeat.