WD Hard drive without the click of dead just completely dead

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 6:08 pm

Hello,

Western Digital Hard drive without the click of dead just completely dead, does this mean PCB?
or some internal parts have broken?
i heard boot linux usb distro would fix it? (never used before so i wouldn't know)

whats the best way forward?
Any advise from someone who has personal experience with there own data recovery would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Spec:
WD 250GB
MDL: WD2500JB-00REA0
DATE: 31 MAY 2006
DCM: DSCANTJAA
S/N: WCANK4027070
TYPE: IDE 3.5
PCB sticker: 2061-701292-C00 AB XC 3E06 04JE 7 0005470 6475
PWB: (2060701292-001 REV A)

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 8:24 pm

Define dead, does the computer simply not boot and complain about no hard drive or does the drive not show up at all in the bios? If the drive appears in the bios than yes you can probably save your data otherwise I am afraid the data is gone. Also if its a secondary hard drive and simply does not appear in windows than yes booting into Linux may solve the problem. The drive has to appear in the bios to be readable by any operating system to my knowledge.

Try a Linux disc with gparted installed - click here for one

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 10:49 am

It was an external drive, I plugged it into a caddy but it doesn't power up, I was debating whether to replace the PCB but can't figure out whether its the PCB or damaged internal parts? (plus I heard you have to swap the BIOS chip over unless the doner PCB has the same BIOS)

From what you said I expect its dead and gone.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 2:33 pm

I have no experience replacing the PCB. All I've heard is that you have to have the same exact drive, model number and everything, to replace the PCB and its usually not worth the trouble.

Sorry I can't help you with this, anyone else have advice?

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 11:25 am

dcj123 wrote:
I have no experience replacing the PCB. All I've heard is that you have to have the same exact drive, model number and everything, to replace the PCB and its usually not worth the trouble.

Sorry I can't help you with this, anyone else have advice?

I found some Hard Drive Diagnostics:

Does your hard drive spin? Try to listen, touch it, or slowly lift it. If it makes a buzzing sound or a sound like it is "trying" to spin, the failure is most likely a spindle seizure and has nothing to do with the circuit board. If you hear 1 tick, or do not hear or feel anything at all, likely the PCB has fried.

My symptoms are "do not hear or feel anything at all" they are suggesting its likely the PCB has fried.

So I reckon if I can get a doner with pretty much the same Model Number and PCB Sticker its worth a try how ever £30 for a PCB is not cheap if it doesn't work...