Will the neurodiversity movement ever be as popular as LGBT

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jun 2013, 10:06 pm

So, here's a question I was thinking: with the recent SCOTUS decision of same-sex marriage and the fight to end discrimination against gays, lesbians and others, will the neurodiversity movement ever gain the same kind of traction the gay rights movement has over the years.

Over the years gays have made strives in accessing their rights and ending discrimination in the workplace, housing, etc., but I feel that now it is our turn to achieve the same kind of things that the gay rights movement is achieving.

What are your thoughts on this?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 10:47 pm

gays are 10% of the population. we are 1%. perhaps if we banded together with other groups , we'd have a better chance.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 10:52 pm

Making accommodations for people like us in the workplace would be nice. I don't know how that would work, though. I'm employed in a place where the traffic/noise/call bells/distractions are continuous. Toning that down seems impractical.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 11:04 pm

cathylynn wrote:
gays are 10% of the population. we are 1%. perhaps if we banded together with other groups , we'd have a better chance.

Yes, But being gay is a choice. being neurodiverse however is not.

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jun 2013, 11:11 pm

cathylynn wrote:

As long as autism is considered a disorder, you will never succeed at it.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 11:12 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

I don't see how being gay is a choice. I couldn't be anything other than heterosexual, not a choice. I just am not sexually attracted to females. I was born this way. I have sometimes wished I were gay, because I got along with my mom and three sisters, but had a scary dad. relationships with women were just easier. i'm happily married now, but it took a lot of growing on my part and a special guy.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 11:52 pm

I used to wonder why there weren't any Autism Pride parades...and then I realized how hard it would be for a bunch of Autistic people to 1) get together 2) decide to have the parade 3) organize the parade 4) set it up so they could legally have the parade and 5) actually HAVE the parade.
Unfortunately for us, most of us would have difficulty making such a movement "popular" just by our nature. It's a lot more than just numbers.

cathylynn wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

I don't see how being gay is a choice. I couldn't be anything other than heterosexual, not a choice. I just am not sexually attracted to females. I was born this way. I have sometimes wished I were gay, because I got along with my mom and three sisters, but had a scary dad. relationships with women were just easier. i'm happily married now, but it took a lot of growing on my part and a special guy.

Don't pay attention to this troll. It's not worth it.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 11:57 pm

My first thought...the 10% v.s. 1% thing. Exactly.
We'll never be as popular. It's just not gonna happen.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 12:19 am

MoonCanvas wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

As long as autism is considered a disorder, you will never succeed at it.

what about disability advocacy groups?

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 12:39 am

diniesaur wrote:
I used to wonder why there weren't any Autism Pride parades...and then I realized how hard it would be for a bunch of Autistic people to 1) get together 2) decide to have the parade 3) organize the parade 4) set it up so they could legally have the parade and 5) actually HAVE the parade.
Unfortunately for us, most of us would have difficulty making such a movement "popular" just by our nature. It's a lot more than just numbers.

Without speaking to the rest of the thread, according to This WP thread, there is a parade. KenG should be able to provide more information on it.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5167549.html#5167549

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Jun 2013, 12:42 am

MoonCanvas wants us all to believe that autism doesn't exist.

I think the best bet if you want to work toward acceptance is to do disability advocacy work and not necessarily autism-related or neurodiversity-related work.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 4:28 am

Verdandi wrote:

I think the best bet if you want to work toward acceptance is to do disability advocacy work and not necessarily autism-related or neurodiversity-related work.

MoonCanvas is NT, according to his profile. He's no better than Mike Savage or Rush Limbaugh.

MoonCanvas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2013, 4:43 am

Meistersinger wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

MoonCanvas is NT, according to his profile. He's no better than Mike Savage or Rush Limbaugh.

Well I'd be more inclined to make autism less broad, and if someone with issues is still not able to be diagnosed with the new autism then they get diagnosed with something else. Most definitely things would be better off if brain scans could determine autism, which current scans can't show. Once autism can be viewable by brain scans, it might not be called autism anymore, just autism2.

l0st0ne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2013, 5:22 am

LupaLuna wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

being autistic IS a choice just snap out of it and be normal i mean you've only been that way from childhood/birth.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 5:32 am

cathylynn wrote:

If you count bisexuals in there, then there's more than 10% of the population - but they mostly only count us in as lip service.

Aspies would need to band together with other neurodiverse conditions - if we got all the dyslexia lobbyists in (I work in education and there is like a dyslexia lobby) we'd have a decent number.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 7:18 am

cathylynn wrote:

Actually, they aren't even 2% of the population.

However, they are more visible and more "celebrated" than autistic people are.

Maybe if we were prone to be fabulous hairdressers and fashion designers, we'd get more positive attention rather than regarded as an object of pity.