Why do I feel sexually assaulted when called woman?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

robsten1990
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jun 2013, 5:49 am

As far as I have understood (from NTs), women should be happy when called "women" because it makes them feel sexy. However with me it´s quite the opposite, I feel sexually assaulted. It can be because I don´t "feel" like a woman completely, however I don´t really feel like a man either. I have never been assaulted but I have been bullied alot when I was younger.

Another thing. Up until a few years ago I had no problem with touching my genitals but now I always shut down after I have done it. I´m pretty sure I have vaginismus. Probably started to develop it after I couldn´t put in a tampon correctly, along with all the bullying, me not knowing my sexuality and me being anxious in general. I´ve never been able to put something in there and the idea is kinda gross to me but it wasn´t before.

I don´t want to feel this way. I have thought of going to a gyn but I fear they won´t know what vaginismus is and I´m scared it will hurt.

Diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 22 years of age.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 8:10 am

I think the one thing that could possibly help you is psychosexual therapy because that's probably what's causing the vaginismus. It sounds like you have some gender issues, but I'm not qualified to say what. If you got to a gynaecologist, they normally just give a set of cylinders to dilate your vagina and some lube, which I don't think will help in your case.

I've never had vaginismus or objections to being called a woman but I know people with the same issues as you. Normally the doctors can't help very much but I don't know about psychs.

robsten1990

30 Jun 2013, 8:42 am

Yes I do have some gender issues. But I think the problem is how the word "woman" is approached, mostly from my own perspective. I associate the word "woman" with dresses, make up, nail polish, gems and so on. I´m not that. I have no problems with being called a girl though. It´s like I don´t feel mature enough to be called a woman. Sometimes I feel like a girl, sometimes I feel like a boy. It irritates me that I can´t feel like just ONE gender.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 11:05 am

I feel suffocated when people call me a woman or a girl. It feels like I'm first punched in the stomach and than choked in a stronghold. Miss is another word that does that to me. I prefer that people call me by my name or my nickname. I also feel assaulted when people are gender specific with me. I'm anatomically female except for my handsome Mick Avory face, but I've felt male on the inside since I was 2. I even used to try peeing in the toilet standing up.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 2:55 pm

Being called a "lady" bothers me for the same reason. To me a "lady" should always dress perfectly, act with perfect manners, etc. I hate the term "ladylike". If someone tells me "thats not ladylike" I dont give a s**t. I sit like a man, and I dont care.

the_grand_autismo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2013, 8:58 pm

I feel similar to you, robsten-- I feel very violated when anyone thinks of me as a woman. I'm not sure why that is, although I have some guesses. I definitely have some gender issues to work through.

Part of it I think is that from puberty onwards (and sometimes even before that, :( ) being female is associated with sex and sexuality. Men are the gender that is considered default human beings; women are the gender that is considered sexual objects. A woman's body is automatically sexualized just having certain body parts and by appearing feminine in any way.

It's just a guess, but this may be why you are more comfortable referring to yourself as a "girl" since it is a return to a time before you had to deal with all of that sexualization, and you could be just yourself instead of being seen as a sexual thing.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Jun 2013, 9:48 pm

robsten1990 wrote:
Yes I do have some gender issues. But I think the problem is how the word "woman" is approached, mostly from my own perspective. I associate the word "woman" with dresses, make up, nail polish, gems and so on. I´m not that. I have no problems with being called a girl though. It´s like I don´t feel mature enough to be called a woman. Sometimes I feel like a girl, sometimes I feel like a boy. It irritates me that I can´t feel like just ONE gender.

These are reasons why I really dislike being called a "lady", although I do wear makeup, dresses, nail polish, and jewelry when I feel like it.

I accept being labeled as a woman because that's how I appear to people, but I wish it were easier to get people to recognize I don't have a gender. Not worth the work to me to get that acknowledged, though.

Many people experience the sense of not feeling like just one gender, too. I don't remember what it's called right now, but google may be of assistance.

the_grand_autismo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2013, 12:03 am

Verdandi wrote:
Many people experience the sense of not feeling like just one gender, too. I don't remember what it's called right now, but google may be of assistance.

If you feel like two genders, that's called "bigender". Three would be "trigender". You could probably use "polygender" if you felt like more than that.

You can also use the term "genderfluid" if you feel like your gender moves around time to time.

Some people who feel this way identify as "genderqueer" as well, although not everyone who is genderqueer has more than one gender.

Robsten1990, you might be interested in some of these options if you don't feel like you are (just) a woman or female.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jul 2013, 5:20 am

the_grand_autismo wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

If you feel like two genders, that's called "bigender". Three would be "trigender". You could probably use "polygender" if you felt like more than that.

You can also use the term "genderfluid" if you feel like your gender moves around time to time.

Some people who feel this way identify as "genderqueer" as well, although not everyone who is genderqueer has more than one gender.

Robsten1990, you might be interested in some of these options if you don't feel like you are (just) a woman or female.

Bigender and genderfluid were the labels I couldn't recall.

I describe myself as genderqueer sometimes, but it's not a very specific label.

robsten1990

01 Jul 2013, 1:18 pm

the_grand_autismo wrote:
I feel similar to you, robsten-- I feel very violated when anyone thinks of me as a woman. I'm not sure why that is, although I have some guesses. I definitely have some gender issues to work through.

Part of it I think is that from puberty onwards (and sometimes even before that, :( ) being female is associated with sex and sexuality. Men are the gender that is considered default human beings; women are the gender that is considered sexual objects. A woman's body is automatically sexualized just having certain body parts and by appearing feminine in any way.

It's just a guess, but this may be why you are more comfortable referring to yourself as a "girl" since it is a return to a time before you had to deal with all of that sexualization, and you could be just yourself instead of being seen as a sexual thing.
You make some very good points here, I HATE feeling sexualized. I feel like a victim. I learned at a very young age that when a woman shows her breasts on TV then it (mostly) has to do with sex but not when men show their chest. I do like some of my feminine sides, like being sensitive and emotional (even though it can be horrible at times when bad things happen).

whirlingdervish
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Dec 2016, 11:39 pm

Ive had this issue too, for the longest time. I don't feel sexually assaulted, but i certainly do feel that something is expected of me that doesn't come naturally to me. I too have no problems being called a girl. But woman is too much.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 7:28 am

When i got my first period, I was told that I was now a woman. My first period was an extremely miserable time physically and emotionally! Since then, I've associated the word "woman" with weakness and loss of control. Before that, I considered myself a tomboy.

I've also been sexually abused at various times, so that could have contributed to my negative feelings.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 11:58 am

I've never felt comfortable being called a 'woman' either. 'Person' feels best to me. I've been abused as well (which doesn't help matters) - but was a tomboy before that anyway, so I think I'm just inherently 'agender'.