Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2013, 2:46 pm

Do you stalk your friends and others on Facebook in order to figure them out more?

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 2:52 pm

Alla, to answer your question, I don't stalk anybody at any time without some kind of really compelling reason. If you stalk your friends and get caught, they likely won't be your friends for long. I would discourage you from doing so.

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2013, 3:11 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Alla, to answer your question, I don't stalk anybody at any time without some kind of really compelling reason. If you stalk your friends and get caught, they likely won't be your friends for long. I would discourage you from doing so.

That wasn't what I asked. I asked whether you stalked the FB profiles of your friends, not stalk them in real life.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 3:18 pm

Alla wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

That wasn't what I asked. I asked whether you stalked the FB profiles of your friends, not stalk them in real life.

And I said I don't stalk "anybody at any time", which would include real life, the Internet, their profiles, or anything or anywhere else. Having spent time in naval intelligence, I will say there is a time and place for snooping, primarily on those hostile to our best interests. But it's also the case that when governments snoop on ostensibly friendly governments, such as those in Europe, hard feelings are the result, as we see from the Snowden and Assange affairs. I think you're playing with fire, and I would encourage you to quit. But that's up to you.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 3:24 pm

I know loads of people who stalk others through Facebook and other social internet sites. I have an uncle who recently had an upsetting divorce, and ever since he has been looking up his wife and the man she is now seeing (and was seeing before the divorce) on their Facebook profiles, without them knowing. He just can't get over his loss of having a wife, and just wants to know what they're up to. I suppose it's one of those ''I fear to see but cannot avoid because I am able to see'' situations, and I bet if they made their Facebook profiles more private he would then be glad, if you know what I mean. But because he knows he is able to view their profiles, he has an urge to look at it. And he's not the only one who does that either. I know others that do.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 3:26 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I know loads of people who stalk others through Facebook and other social internet sites. I have an uncle who recently had an upsetting divorce, and ever since he has been looking up his wife and the man she is now seeing (and was seeing before the divorce) on their Facebook profiles, without them knowing. He just can't get over his loss of having a wife, and just wants to know what they're up to. I suppose it's one of those ''I fear to see but cannot avoid because I am able to see'' situations, and I bet if they made their Facebook profiles more private he would then be glad, if you know what I mean. But because he knows he is able to view their profiles, he has an urge to look at it. And he's not the only one who does that either. I know others that do.

Joe, do you think your uncle's behavior is healthy? Or should he let bygones be bygones and move on with his life?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 3:28 pm

Not really. Whatever is posted on Facebook is for everyone to read who can see it. So I don't see how it would be wrong to stalk their page and seeing what they post there and knowing that about them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Enc
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2013, 3:41 pm

Not really. I do like to add random people just out of curiousty. But I do not stalk them.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 3:51 pm

Alla, League Girl raises a good point, meaning the ethics and practical consequences of what you're doing depend on how "stalking" is defined. I don't go in to Facebook, so I'm not familiar with it; all I know is about the FB stalking problems I've read of. Having said that, I do look at profiles here on WP, and don't feel in the least bit guilty about that. Then, I would hardly define that as stalking either. Again, it depends on how you want to define your terms.

belladonna25
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2013, 4:16 pm

Yes I do fb stalk. Fb Stalking is not like stalking in real life whatsoever, because a person will only be able to view the information that the user has willingly put on their profile for all to see. That is why I have a private profile, but if one chooses to not make their profile private then they should expect others to see what they have written.

Internet stalking is of course very real and almost as bad/scary as real life stalking. I was internet staked for 3 years on and off by a jealous ex boyfriend, although he hacked into my online profiles and installed soft wear on my PC to record every thing I typed anywhere.

So basically fb stalking is just a term it's not stalking it's simply viewing a contacts profile.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 4:39 pm

I don't FB stalk.

I have been internet stalked. Some people are so sad. And the mods never did anything either. :x

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 5:23 pm

I used to FB stalk in the way you describe your uncle doing it... Only it was a breakup for me and not a divorce. In some ways, there's comfort in it (in the sense that you know the other person is doing okay). In a very real way, though, it got sad when I spent my own time living in the past... trying to stay connected when we really weren't.

More to the point, though, I do review (to change the language) other people's profiles to see if we have any common interests that we could bond over. I don't think there's anything wrong with this as long as the other person has accepted a friend request and has made info public.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 6:55 pm

The question is this: who doesn't? Most NT's are admitted FB stalkers, and have no shame about it.

But of course, if you're going to intensely look at someone's Facebook profile, do so in moderation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 7:40 pm

Alla wrote:
Do you stalk your friends and others on Facebook in order to figure them out more?

Never. I already know all that I need to know from knowing them in person.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 8:16 pm

No. Facebook is a waste of time.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 10:38 pm

Alla wrote:

:lol: Thats the only thing I use my Facebook account for, stalking people. Thats the only thing Facebook is good for.