Few Career related questions after "High School / Speci

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

zain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jun 2013, 11:32 pm

Hi there,

I am a father of a 11 year old boy with HFA. He is a sweet and social kid. However, he is in special ed class, he has focus issues when it comes to academics.

Per his "current" interest and our road map, he might end up as a computer programmer or healthcare field, such as "X-ray technician".

So the question is, if a child graduates from special ed class, does he still have a chance to get admission? or they're not taken seriously by colleges / private institutes?

Also, can he legally drive in the State of California even though he has an Autism diagnosis? Cuz if taught, he'll be able to drive.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance

Ed (Zain's dad)

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 8:30 am

The ability to drive has no bearing on Autism. Either he can manage it or he cannot. I don't know of any state law saying having Autism means you can't drive.

The problem I see is that if he goes through "special ed" his academic credentials will not be competitive. Mind you, some of what he wants will be focused on the college level. Nobody cares what you took in high school.

So, you want to be sure his high school classes won't deprive him the ability to attend a decent community college (ideal for getting his foot in the door) and/or college/university. Once in college, he will have to perform as an equal to other students. If he needs accommodations to do well, he might get a degree, but there will be debate on if he could ever secure a job...especially in any field related to medicine.

zain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jul 2013, 9:34 am

Thank you so much for your input.
I totally agree. So far, at 11 years of age things are looking good. But as we know, who knows how he'll be 5 years or 10 years down the road. We will do our best but in the end, let's see what works out best for him.

Regards & God Bless!