Starving artist wants a dating life, and learn how to dress.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

L4mia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jul 2013, 10:53 am

Yep. Hormones raging at 21. I was also anon811 on the irc that other day in case anyone is curious. I already got some good advice at the irc but I will ask again to see if I can get more input.

I'm a visual artist - an exceptionally rare kind. I'm a pixel artist who doesn't focus the 'lazy' 8-bit or oekaki styles. I can't post links right now but my main handle is Pix3M. I make money from commissions for game graphics, I only make so much money. Luckily, I can throw money around because I still live with my parents so my cost of living right now is virtually zero. I don't make enough money at the moment to do much else. I guess 'starving artist' is a good description of where I'm at financially. I may go back to college to get a degree in graphic design but otherwise, my direction in life is probably gonna be that I'm not terribly rich, but I just indulge in the simpler things in life that makes it awesome. :p

Since I couldn't promise very much financially in the long run with an unstable 'career', the idea of casual dating without worrying about commitment seemed good... It's mostly primal needs I wanna deal with at the time. I later realize that I'm not quite alpha since I wasn't dealt the best cards and I may have an easier time focusing on something more passionate and long-term... even then the casual relationships I was interested wasn't purely physical but with a more passionate touch, just without commitment.

How is my potential dating life if I'm not gonna be a huge money maker, or am I gonna hope I can cheese though this as a house-husband? o__O (lol more women than men graduating from college nowadays anyways)

Also, I figure that if I'm gonna tell the world that I'm an artist, I probably want to present myself as if I do have an eye for aesthetics. I've seen girls who dress rather well and my own clothes stuck out to me when I look at myself. Time to stop having my parents dress me up by wearing whatever they give to me.

I'm probably off to a good start when I learn the basic common-sense fashion tips - wear stuff that actually fits you, but overall clothes must be purposefully picked to go with your body (also learned why skinny jeans for men are meh... they exaggerate the hips which doesn't make sense on a guy. eh.).

A good artist should be able to see mood, tone, and personality, in about everything from trees, clouds, etcetc. I am probably already off to a good start because I'm already an artist, but I need contextual information. What are these 'brands' I suddenly need to start caring about? Am I right to say they seem to try to sell a specific style and a specific lifestyle instead of just being a name people mysteriously pay extra money for?

Stoic. Laid back. Philosophical. Low-maintenance. Probably some of my bigger personality traits. As of now I seem interested in a minimalist/casual style - which would likely result when I wanna avoid brands/names I have no clue about. Does that sound like an appropriate style for me to try to master? What kind of styles or what designers/stores should I look out for?

And when I start being good with knowing the brands out there, is it okay to mix brands, or does it risk creating a setup without much unity with seemingly random brands stamped all over me... each brand coming with its own connotations unknown to me?

Again, I mostly need contextual information instead of trying to judge clothing on my own. Anyways, hello all of you, and I hope this community will be very supportive.

L4mia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jul 2013, 1:11 am

My thread is a bit difficult wasn't it?

(Also have no idea about this place's policy on double posting)

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 9:44 am

I don't know a lot about art fashions so I can't comment on that but...

There def are starving female artists, who don't value money but value art. That might be someone you want to meet. Hit up the art scene and see. I mean some of the starving female artists might be looking for a sugar daddy, but some won't be.

Perhaps doing an art work on the motiff "Money talks, merit walks" and hit up women who seem to disagree.

L4mia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jul 2013, 10:54 am

Motifs? I'm an industrial artist who makes stuff with practical use so that would be something interesting to try out.