If you were bullied at school, did it...

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

If you were bullied at school, did it...
make you stronger.:rambo: 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
break/devastate you.:cry: 75%  75%  [ 40 ]
I was never bullied.:shrug: 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I was the bully.:twisted: 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 53

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 5:14 pm

I'm still negatively affected today. In my opinion the only thing bullying did was made me jaded, angry and bitterand I missed out on so many opportunities because I didn't trust anyone. It further doesn't help that I look like a bouncer now so few REALLY believe my tales of having 20 people (boys and girls) taking turns attacking you.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 5:15 pm

Erlonman wrote:
Being bullied helped me learn how not to cry and hardened me a great deal, so I guess it made me stronger.

Exactly, I feel the same way. Plus it taught me not to give a f**k what people thought of me. To this day people can piss me off, but they can't hurt my feelings.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jul 2013, 5:16 pm

There needs to be a middle option.

Bullying did me no good, but it also didn't devastate me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 5:18 pm

I once posted a thread here asking if bullying people toughens them up just to see if anyone else got tough and if it worked with them or not. I have heard it does toughen people up and I think it's true for some people like me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 5:21 pm

hanyo wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this but don't most schools have that one weird kid that pretty much everyone rejects and hates? When I was in school I was that kid.

I'm pretty sure there is more then one at every school. But if you are the victim of bulling, I can see how you would feel that way.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 5:35 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I think bullying led me to years of isolation, depression, suicidal ideation, drug abuse, addiction and homelessness.

Are you sure all of that was the result of bullying, or were there other contributing factors too?

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 5:40 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
There needs to be a middle option.

Bullying did me no good, but it also didn't devastate me.

Just pick which ever one is more true.

elsing
Raven
Raven

01 Jul 2013, 5:54 pm

I wasn't bullied, I was ignored and avoided and that hurt but I adapted to this and no longer think about it.

A group of girls tried to bully me, I found the experience quiet forgettable. It was unpleasant when it was actually happening. I suppose they got bored in the end I don't think I reacted the way they wanted me to.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 5:56 pm

It wasn't the men that I had a problem with, it was always the girls that would come after me.. If any guys would try to beat the living daylights out of me, all I had to do was talk to my friends in low places.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 6:05 pm

I don't think it helped me any, all it did was make me feel like crap about myself and contribute to all my mental problems, I still get to deal with on a daily basis. I also find it hard to trust anyone too worried of what they might do when they find a weakness I have, like how they could use it against me. Most of the time I find it very hard to believe it when people don't think badly of me, like I usually don't know how to react to compliments.

Forkliftoperator
Raven
Raven

01 Jul 2013, 6:55 pm

For me, it made me stronger in some ways....I show less emotion and feel I can handle any task thrown at me....If I get a large truckload of freight and feel overwhelmed, I take the bull by the horns and get the job done....it could be worse, I could be sitting in high school getting bullied. The bad things include random events that trigger flashbacks as well as nightmares about my old bullies coming into my workplace and harassing me......luckily, if that happened, my boss and coworkers would chase them out. I also have moments of anger and bitterness and come off as a grump towards teenagers. The bitterness comes from having a part of what should have been the easiest part of my life, the hardest and most difficult instead. On top of the bullying, there was the unstable home life due to my father being unable to work and pay the mortgage due to an injury. Step moms job was not enough to pay the bills, so I had to work during my school years as a teen to keep a roof over my head and food on the table. I still passed and went on to college, but sacrificed my full academic potential. I gained independence and life skills. I had no choice. My school years as a teen were about keeping a roof over my head and persevering through the bullying. College was ok. My parents did not pay any tuition or help me during that time. I got scholarships and a grant that enabled me to go. I graduated and paid off what debt I had from college on my own. My parents did not know about the bullying in high school. I did not tell them since I felt they had bigger things to worry about. I survived all of that and have a decent job although I still do have the bitterness anger, nightmares, and flashbacks.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 7:33 pm

I think it really negatively impacted my mental health and I think bullying is the reason why I have low implicit self-esteem. I really want to be a super happy and cheerful person with no mental health issues whatsoever. Thanks to the bullies, I need to pay money to see a shink to ensure I am the kind of person I was as a kid. The trauma and the self-talk is very, very difficult to get rid of.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 7:46 pm

Closest option - bullying broke/devastated me, made me :cry: I wouldn't be that melodramatic if I were to describe it but it negatively impacted my self esteem, my mental health and consequently my life as a whole. It certainly did not make me stronger.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 8:03 pm

Although the bully problem for me was bad. I learned how to not get mad but get even. After all, I was all brains and no brawn so getting into someones face was not an option for me. So most of my getting back at my bullies at school where mostly sneak attacks. One of my favorite ones was I would get a hall pass in the middle of class while nobody was in the halls. then using a master key. I would go into my enemy's locker bull out the thermos from his lunch box and pour a small cup of my urine into it. And when lunch time came around. There was nothing more satisfying then watching your worst enemy drinking your own piss. Of course, I wanted to put as much in there as I could. I still had to be careful not to put too much in there otherwise he might taste it and it would've given it away. So if you ask me? Yes. bullying suck and it would've been nice to have friends in school but at lease I has a means of recourse to boost my morale.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
Although the bully problem for me was bad. I learned how to not get mad but get even. After all, I was all brains and no brawn so getting into someones face was not an option for me. So most of my getting back at my bullies at school where mostly sneak attacks. One of my favorite ones was I would get a hall pass in the middle of class while nobody was in the halls. then using a master key. I would go into my enemy's locker bull out the thermos from his lunch box and pour a small cup of my urine into it. And when lunch time came around. There was nothing more satisfying then watching your worst enemy drinking your own piss. Of course, I wanted to put as much in there as I could. I still had to be careful not to put too much in there otherwise he might taste it and it would've given it away.

:lol: I would love to surreptitiously slip piss into my childhood bullies' morning coffee, even today. I'd pay a lot for that opportunity.

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jul 2013, 8:33 pm

I can't choose. "Break" and "devastate" are too extreme and "make me stronger" feels to me like it's giving too much credit to the bullies. They didn't make me stronger. They were trying to boost their own low self-esteem by putting me down and if I am stronger because of it, it's all due to my decision not to keep thinking about it and letting it ruin my life.

Though, that said, the bullying did have an effect that lasted for years, making me shyer and more wary around people and always feeling that people who seemed to like me were just tolerating me and being kind. It certainly doesn't help someone who has an inborn trouble deciphering social cues be any less anxious trying to fit in with people -- conversations, etc. -- even now.