Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sieanna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2013, 9:11 pm

When I was a child I was physical abused by my mother and stepfather. I was not allowed to fight back because I would be physically abused by both parents instead of one.
In high school I was taller and bigger than my Mother. They sometimes would threaten me or throw me around. I could always tell when my Mum was angry because I would hear her feet stamping toward my bedroom except I never knew what I did wrong. I would put my head down while my mother hit me. This went on for years and I never fought back. I runaway from home for fear of my life. I lived at three places which I was soon ask to leave. I remember one night I had no where to go. I went to a primary school and broke down crying because I didn't have any one and no on loved me.
I was still in high school.

My other siblings were never physically abused by our parents. I was the one that has been diagnosed with mild autism, as an adult. My Mum is a lovely person. She was very sorry for the way she treated me and she said if she had of known that I had a learning disability or mild autism, she would have understood and treated me differently.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 9:44 pm

You sound like you've turned out to be a well-adjusted adult. Kudos to you.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 9:52 pm

if my parents treated me like that, I woulda never forgiven them. I woulda written 'em off as personas non-grata.

wildcoyotedancer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2013, 9:59 pm

I am so sorry. I also was abused by my step father and step mother. My mother who was abused by my stepfather too often went along with it and I felt I had to protect her somehow or she would be sad. Looking back I also realize she often was worked and frustrated by my behaviors and tried to get help for me but there wasn't any back then. Later when I was an adult she often acted like something is wrong with me when it seemed to her I should be able to do something easily that overwhelmed me or stressed me out since I am now an adult but now that she knows I have Aspergers/High Functioning Autism she understands better sort of and feels bad but like I said there was no dx for HFA or Aspergers in the late 60's and early 70's. I do ok but could have done a lot more and be more successful instead of struggling at 45 if I had more help and support in school etc. I hope it helps to know you aren't the only one.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 4:49 pm

I too had similar experiences and as the only boy child bore the brunt of my mothers rages in particular.

I was also groomed and sexually abused just before I turned 14 by someone who took advantage of this situation, I was out of home and a streetkid at 15 and also rejected by most people because of my odd and maladjusted behaviour. I have only made it this far because of my country having a basic 'welfare' system and the good will of one or two key people over the years.

You give no real indication of where you are at now but I hope things are getting better and somehow easier.

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

RudeGoldbergMachine
Raven
Raven

07 Jul 2013, 11:42 am

My dad never intentionally abused me, but he was older when he had kids and his parenting was outdated. He would punish me and my big brother by hitting us with objects, just whatever was lying around, like a wooden stick or the wand attachment from a vacuum. My brother got the worst of it, having bruises, because he was the "unruly" kid and the older one and the boy, but I think it was traumatizing for both of us and damaged our relationship with each other and our dad. Both of us turned out pretty psychologically messed up-- even disregarding my AS. I know my dad didn't mean to hurt us though and he's a good person and a good dad to me in every other way, he was just doing what he'd been brought up to think was OK in the 1940's. So I forgive him, but it still upsets me thinking about it...

I wonder if people with AS are more likely to be physically abused by their families?