Making income when you can't work full time / outside the ho

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ourlostprophet
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Jul 2013, 12:34 pm

I am new around here but thought I would share some of the ways I make income in case they are of use to others. I have been unable to hold down a regular 9-5 for most of my life. My husband (also on the spectrum, but higher functioning in the job skills department) holds an IT position that is our primary source of income but I do some freelance things.

Some resources for freelance writing - the yahoo contributor network , Skyword, Helium. Yahoo will let you submit an article for review for upfront payment, plus you get money for page views. Helium is great for those with special interests because there is a list of articles in various topics that they need written. It's only 1-2 dollars an article but they are often easy to put out there. Skyword pays the most but you need for them to accept you into one of their programs, which may be a bit more work.

Etsy is good for crafty folks - I sell things I crochet and paint there. You can also do a decent business selling vintage things (20 years old or older), and craft supplies. I go to the thrift store and pick up some supplies there in bulk and resell - that also seems to work out nicely. Ebay, selling used books through a storfront, etc - all valid options. Be sure to look into what postal costs will be and what supplies you will need to get started.

There are also some data entry sites like VirtualBee for those with fast fingers.

A few tips- be sure to google and research anything you aren't sure about. A company's reputation will often be easy to find out- if it's legit and good to work for, then go for it. If it seems shady, move on to apply for something else.

You won't make 'thousands of dollars working from home!' Beware anything that promises you that.

Keep track of all income you make freelancing for when tax time comes. If you make over a certain amount, you will need to report your income as taxable.

Hope this helps some folks who are looking to get into freelancing.