http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/news/ ... way-shapes

Autistics have distinctive facial features:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... res-study/

I've noticed I have similar facial features to the people in the article :o

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 8:18 pm

How many autistics are born -without- this airway anomaly. He she studied that part of the question?

ruveyn

atdevel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jul 2013, 8:29 pm

Good question, but I think there are several types of autism

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 9:38 pm

Hmmm, interesting. I have always had breathing problems, but never had them checked out by a doctor.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

velocirapture
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2013, 10:34 pm

I thought those were just common facial characteristics of children in general.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 12:33 am

The child in the picture could quite easily be my daughter with short hair.

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jul 2013, 2:54 am

As ruveyn already stated how many are born without this anomaly, and also I don't believe the article stated how common the anomaly is also.

Isn't the second one just an observation from CBS News, and the similar look could perhaps have to do with a lack of emotion in body language.

Neither of these seem to be breakthroughs in Autism.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 6:15 am

Sheerboredom wrote:
As ruveyn already stated how many are born without this anomaly, and also I don't believe the article stated how common the anomaly is also.

Isn't the second one just an observation from CBS News, and the similar look could perhaps have to do with a lack of emotion in body language.

Both findings are from research published in peer-reviewed journals, not originally made up by the news.

http://journal.publications.chestnet.org/article.aspx?articleid=1046581#tab1 wrote:
RESULTS: Bronchoscopic evaluations revealed the presence of initial normal anatomy followed by double take-offs in the lower airway (or "doublets") in 100% of the autistic population studied.

CONCLUSIONS: There appears to be a correlation between autistic spectrum disorder and airway anatomy. This is a small study of 49 patients. More investigation is warranted.

Here's the full paper on facial characteristics: "Facial phenotypes in subgroups of prepubertal boys with autism spectrum disorders are correlated with clinical phenotypes"
It's published in a journal called Molecular Autism.
http://www.molecularautism.com/ wrote:
Molecular Autism is a peer-reviewed, online open access journal that publishes high-quality basic, translational and clinical research that has relevance to the etiology, pathobiology, or treatment of autism and related neurodevelopmental conditions. Research that includes integration across levels is encouraged. Molecular Autism publishes empirical studies, reviews, and brief communications.

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jul 2013, 8:41 am

Anomiel wrote:
Sheerboredom wrote:

Both findings are from research published in peer-reviewed journals, not originally made up by the news.

http://journal.publications.chestnet.org/article.aspx?articleid=1046581#tab1 wrote:
RESULTS: Bronchoscopic evaluations revealed the presence of initial normal anatomy followed by double take-offs in the lower airway (or "doublets") in 100% of the autistic population studied.

CONCLUSIONS: There appears to be a correlation between autistic spectrum disorder and airway anatomy. This is a small study of 49 patients. More investigation is warranted.

Here's the full paper on facial characteristics: "Facial phenotypes in subgroups of prepubertal boys with autism spectrum disorders are correlated with clinical phenotypes"
It's published in a journal called Molecular Autism.
http://www.molecularautism.com/ wrote:
Molecular Autism is a peer-reviewed, online open access journal that publishes high-quality basic, translational and clinical research that has relevance to the etiology, pathobiology, or treatment of autism and related neurodevelopmental conditions. Research that includes integration across levels is encouraged. Molecular Autism publishes empirical studies, reviews, and brief communications.

Will read these when I get a chance to see if there any different then I will type up a more meaningful response.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 11:13 am

How many people not diagnosed with Autism have multiply branched airways? Has that been measured?

ruveyn

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 7:00 pm

In the comments section of the facial features like a study is cited, 100% of the autistic had branching airways, none of the controls did.

It does point to autism in the womb, ruling out vaccines, and other after birth causes.