How Well do you Breathe Through your Nose?

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How Well do you Breathe Through your Nose?
Very Poorly 23%  23%  [ 14 ]
Poorly 23%  23%  [ 14 ]
Alright 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
Well 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
Very Well 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 60

Luinil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2013, 3:52 am

I have always had trouble breathing through my nose and I often feel that my sense of smell is usually almost nonexistent. I have nasal allergies every day of the year, as well as some recently developed food allergies. I had a severely deviated nasal septum that was surgically corrected when I had my (rather large) tonsils removed back in 2011. I don't know about the difficulty breathing = shy part, but it sounds like an interesting line of thinking.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 5:46 am

I'm one of those mouth-breathers who look like a fish out of water.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 6:23 am

If there actually would be a correlation (a poll is not sufficient research) that wouldn't make difficulty breathing through the nose the cause of autism. It could be because of the link between autoimmune disorders and allergies and autism.
I find it ridiculous that some of you argue with actual research just because someone who posted ideas you didn't like mentioned it. :roll:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 8:30 am

atdevel wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
atdevel wrote:
I'll explain when I get enough votes

OP: you are very quiet, and as you are a new member, I can't help but have a little suspicion that this is a troll trying to have a laugh at our expense.

Perhaps you could put my mind at rest and explain what this is all about?

haha whirlingmind!! This is funny that you should criticize me for being "very quiet" as autistics tend to be quiet. This is exactly why I believe some Autistics do need treatment.

I also tend to lose track of time, another feature of Autism.

I am sure you will also know, that we have trouble waiting too.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 11:18 am

Anomiel wrote:
... I find it ridiculous that some of you argue with actual research just because someone who posted ideas you didn't like mentioned it. :roll:

I don't know the poster well enough to like or dislike him.

ONE study does not a principle make.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 7:30 pm

atdevel wrote:
Ok guys I don't have all day to spend on this site, thats why I haven't replied yet. But the reason was that I read in a book called "Shyness and Love" by Brian Gilmartin that half the people he studied had difficulty breathing through their nose. This was a book on people that had difficulty approaching potential romantic partners. This was written in the 1980s, before the term Asperger's was invented. A lot of the subjects had autistic-like symptoms.

Love-shyness is more than involuntary datelessness. The unemployment rate is 5x the national average, and a third of love-shies have seriously considered suicide. “In fact, they (the Love-Shies) are about as severely cut off from these normal social gratifications (daily social interaction) as they would be if they were serving a life sentence in a federal or state prison.", Gilmartin says.

I was just curious to see how many people had difficulty breathing through their nose on this site. I had difficulty myself, but wasn't aware of it since I breathed through my mouth. It's important to breathe through the nose since breathing through the nose is associated with freedom. If anyone here has difficulty breathing through the nose, they should see a doctor, since it's a health issue.

It seems that about 40-50% of people have it on this forum, which parallels his book.

I support neurodiversity, but I also support autism research. I believe that there are some people with autism that need treatment. From reading the book, I learned that I have this problem, and got treatment for it. I can think and socialize better now.

Well now that Fnord has bludgeoned you into a bloody quivering pulp for the crime of not pleasing him lets get back to the topic.

My question is this:

What IS the topic?

So: someone did research that suggested something, but didnt prove this something yet.

Suggesting something without proving it is not a crime.

But what did this study even suggest?

Mouth breathing correlates to datelessness. And other stuff correlates to datelessness (though not necessarily to mouth breathing) like unemployment ( well duhhh...unemployed guys cant pick up their dates in Farraris.).

So what does it all add up to?

Half of your respondants here are mouth breathers. Assuming that NTs have a lower rate of mouth breating (which is an assumption) and assuming the respondants here are representative of spectrumites-what would that even mean?

That mouth breathing CAUSES autism? Or that it is a result of autism?

And when I had my septum surgically straightened -it doubtless changed my behavior in some subtle ways- and did so towards the more confident and positive because I could breath better. But apparently it didnt cure me of aspergers. I was still officially dxd ten plus years later.

I dont get it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 7:34 pm

atdevel wrote:
Ok guys I don't have all day to spend on this site, thats why I haven't replied yet. But the reason was that I read in a book called "Shyness and Love" by Brian Gilmartin that half the people he studied had difficulty breathing through their nose. This was a book on people that had difficulty approaching potential romantic partners. This was written in the 1980s, before the term Asperger's was invented. A lot of the subjects had autistic-like symptoms...

So you made the assumption that Gilmartin's observations have a causal connection with Autism - is that it?

By the way, Asperger's Syndrome was not "invented", it was "defined" in 1944, which is before Gilmartin wrote his book in 1987.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.