Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 2:43 pm

It came up in the news very recently, some written information here:
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=19568447

The military said a new election would be held, it's in CNN right now. I wonder whether they have any kind of bias though.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 3:17 pm

Yes, CNN has a bias, and a very unrealistic one at that. I don't watch TV, but I've read enough stories from their site to know that they either matter-of-factly reported US meddling in Egypt or tacitly approved of it, because of their affinity for Obama. I can't say they never criticized the so-called Arab spring, but if they did, I'm not aware of it.

For my liberal critics: Yes, FOX is just as bad. It is run by the same neocon nuts.

If we Americans don't start demanding a better elite class, both Democrat and Republican, the next coup is liable to be here.

LAEMapsie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2013, 3:42 pm

British Media can be biased as well but mostly in newspapers.

I guess the BBC and Sky News both support peace in Egypt but as long as the ruler panders to western interests.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 3:45 pm

It's interesting you brought this up. An NT Scottish friend of mine sent me the following link on bias in the BBC this morning. Granted, it doesn't deal with Egypt, but at least Brits are coming to terms with their media bias, which is far more than can be said of the US press:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... eview.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 6:54 pm

Well, at least Jon Stewart's Egyptian counterpart isn't going to be arrested for making fun of Morisi anymore.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 7:27 pm

I had the delightful chance to speak with a 50+ YO Egyptian woman who came to each the news in the same place I was in, and she told me a lot of interesting information.
- When she heard the president had been overthrown she was joyful, and said it was about time and that she supported the military on this.
-She was proud of her fellow Egyptians standing up for her rights and said how such a big uprising was impossible to ignore.
- She said that the previous government had implemented sharia law (she most definitely used the worlds sharia law there) which had robbed rights from women and oppressed them, and that they were killing Christians there. She mentioned how people from other religions where trapped there because they had not enough money to leave anywhere else, and bordering countries are all Muslim. She showed disregard for fundamentalist Muslims.
- Egypt is a very traditionalist country; trying to implement Western values there was a big mistake, as people there are very proud of their customs. The culture clash has caused a lot of trouble over there.
- About the above, if women suddenly started to behave like their Western counterparts it would led to them being harassed and even raped (her literal words as well) although when I asked how women could keep going ahead or whether she thought it was desirable I couldn't make myself clear enough.
- She said toppling Mubarak had been a mistake, he knew more about the needs of the people of Egypt than his successor was.

It's a shame she had a thick accent and I couldn't understand some parts, but it was great otherwise

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 3:08 pm

Cnn is biased since when. There are only two main biased news channels. Fox News for the extreme Right Wing and MSNBC for the left. CNN is closet to the middle. Also who really thinks having the Muslim Brotherhood is good for human kind especially women?

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 6:28 pm

As an American I am ashamed of CNN. They have only gotten worse since 1997. They used to TRY and be a legitimate news organization. I think the Columbine massacre is a kind of benchmark in CNN's timeline, after which they became hysterical, footage-looping, helicopter-journalism jobber scum.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 6:58 pm

And the endless loud commercials every 5 minutes... most of them about their own programs. "THIS IS CNN". Like I didn't know that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 9:31 pm

I'll still take CNN over Fox any day of the week.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 10:10 pm

No duh.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 7:21 am

Fox news and CNN are both on the same low level, in my opinion. Yes, fox news is shamelessly biased, but that gives them focus and a certain aggression. CNN is completely empty and ineffectual.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 9:11 am

Staremaster, I agree. The difference between FOX and CNN is the difference between a fecal sandwich and fecal soup. I can't see why anybody would want either one.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 1:00 pm

I still feel I can get real news from CNN. Their only problem is, they've come to believe their own self endorsement, and have slipped from time to time with journalistic professionalism.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 2:08 pm

Well, then go to al Jazerra.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 6:58 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Well, then go to al Jazerra.

ruveyn

How reliable and propaganda free are they?