Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2013, 4:11 pm

I know many people on the spectrum do not like loud noises.

I do though so I was wondering if my excessive interest with loud noises (i.e. loud music, explosives, yelling, loud workplaces etc) could be at all associated with Autism. Yes I am diagnosed by the way.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2013, 4:34 pm

It can go either way, you could be overly sensitive to some things including noises, you could be under sensitive, or you could even seek out things that others would find unpleasant because to you it is comforting.
There is no one standard that everyone on the spectrum conforms to, that's why it's a spectrum, rather than a narrow bandwidth.

On the other hand it may just be your personal preference; it's really hard almost impossible to determine what makes up someone's personal preference, and ASD only complicates things further. An Aspie or Autie is just someone who has been diagnosed (or in many cases self associates with a label), and who fits a pattern of behaviour, thinking, or other variables to be categorised, but that doesn't mean that the ASD spectrum determines their whole personality, character, or their likes and dislikes - it most likely contributes to it, but no one is really sure how much or why.

The same goes for the whole brain function and size of brain and neuron components; some on the ASD spectrum have shown in scans to have larger parts of some brain and neural networks, and some smaller, some more connections some less than NT's, but as the brain grows and develops in the womb, and continues to do so throughout one's lifetime, it's very chicken and egg - does the brain have variances causing ASD, or does ASD cause the brain variances?
It's unlikely that anyone will know for sure in our lifetimes.

I'd be inclined to say if I were you that you are tolerant of and like loud noises, and that's part of your character - it may or may not be an ASD thing, but it doesn't really matter.
You may also find it changes over time, and ten years from now you won't believe you said you liked something you now hate!
What does matter is you should look out for your hearing and use ear muffs etc if exposed long term or at close proximity.
Once your hearing is gone it's gone, and you don't want to lose one of your senses just to indulge a liking of things others don't.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 6:55 pm

the LD-pyschiatrist of mine,who is very experienced in autism;though he only works with the severe and profound ends of it ,says that people with ASDs have a high arrousal system which makes us hyper vigilant to input such as how we are treated or sensory experiences,and in turn this can make us experience the world on a totaly different level to everyone else plus our brains react in various ways to input.
for example, due to having had a very tough and abusive upbringing,an abusive past in institutional care and a lifelong experience with severe bullying including cyber bullying this outputs in severe challenging behavior, and paranoid schizophrenia,except am not diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia because he sees the halucinations,delusions,paranoia,homicidal behavior encouraged by the voice etc as the brain translating input to output that am still not able to cope with yet.

am prescribed a atypical anti pyschotic; respiridone by him to lower the arrousal system,he says this is why it gets prescribed for autism, have just started it tonight.
think its a very interesting way of thinking and think this is why so many autists end up on tons of medications for issues such as depression; that arent working; because what theyre experiencing coud actualy be along the lines of what the pysch is saying as oposed to them having the illness.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2013, 7:23 pm

That makes perfect sense.
I often feel that if I could turn the stimulation down similar to how you can adjust the volume of a stereo or TV I could manage so much better.
Unfortunately most medications that can soften or damp down the overstimulation tend to have side effects as bad or worse than the cause of the problem making you seek medication for treatment.

For example if you were to take cannabis the initial feeling would be pleasant, but once the paranoia set in it would be a very unpleasant experience. For that reason, as well as legal reasons I avoid cannabis and other substances that could make my life more complicated, either by their legal status, or the fact that I suspect it is an easy slip into addiction if you find something that feels good.

Similarly with alcohol, if you were to drink when depressed the drinking could potentially set off a severe bout of depression.
We are sensitive in all sorts of ways, and that seems to be one of the things all on the spectrum have in common.

I suffered severe bullying at school, in the workplace, and even within my family.
So much so that I simply can't have anything to do with my family anymore, as I go into an anxious state which very quickly turns into dissociation, and in the house I grew up in, I would tend to go from room to room looking for items from my childhood that I have left behind, to try to feel back in control.

In the future I will have to discuss this with my 13 year old daughter, as she remains in contact with my family, but clearly that will have to wait until she is old enough to make her own objective judgement about how she feels, and be mature enough to understand this may not concur with my feelings toward them.

strawbie
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jul 2013, 7:43 pm

My 9yr old daughter who we suspect as having Aspergers is very loud…..and always has been!! :? She talks loudly, sings, shouts, turns the volume up on the radio and TV so that others find it unbearable. We had her ears tested twice when she was 5yrs as her teacher thought she must be struggling to hear as she shouted all the time-she gave the teacher headache 8O She has an electric guitar and turns the volume on the amp up waaaaaay too loud! The only time she is quiet is when she eventually falls asleep but sometimes she talks in her sleep too!! !!

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 9:21 pm

You mean like these fireworks I have to listen to? Yes, I hate them. :evil:

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2013, 9:35 pm

strawbie wrote:
My 9yr old daughter who we suspect as having Aspergers is very loud…..and always has been!! :? She talks loudly, sings, shouts, turns the volume up on the radio and TV so that others find it unbearable. We had her ears tested twice when she was 5yrs as her teacher thought she must be struggling to hear as she shouted all the time-she gave the teacher headache 8O She has an electric guitar and turns the volume on the amp up waaaaaay too loud! The only time she is quiet is when she eventually falls asleep but sometimes she talks in her sleep too!! !!

I use to do the same thing, minus the guitar, she will probably grow out of it.

INTJ

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2013, 9:37 pm

CSBurks wrote:
You mean like these fireworks I have to listen to? Yes, I hate them. :evil:

Just had one blow up in my face, ears are still ringing, I'm fine minus the ears.

On a side note, how do you multiquote?

INTJ

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 10:40 pm

Sheerboredom wrote:
I know many people on the spectrum do not like loud noises.

I do though so I was wondering if my excessive interest with loud noises (i.e. loud music, explosives, yelling, loud workplaces etc) could be at all associated with Autism. Yes I am diagnosed by the way.

    Perhaps more accurately would be to say we have sensory issues it can go both ways.
    Sometimes needing more input than normal, or even liking more input such as rubbing cloth or other textures.
    So this doesn't seem that weird to me.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 11:21 pm

I think its normal to like loud noises, for me It really depends on the noise itself, anything high pitched, unexpected, annoying, not smooth, the source etc. I don't like and can get a headache from. Some noises I do like loud and I get a real nice sensory experence from them, like listening music I like as the music I choose to listen to has already been screened by me for personal sensory compatabilty, same for my guitar as it has been setup by me for my sensory prefrence at the time. Where I can still get into problems though is with the duration of the loud sound as to much of a good thing can still lead to over stimulation, so if I go to a concert one day I don't plan much for the next day. Of course what is considered loud is a subjective term, I tend to like to stay around 90-100db loudest I think, anymore and i'm just hurting my ear drums. So if you like the noises you hear in a day you might just like them even better loud, perhaps more then others since you may be able to enjoy and apprecate the details of the sound experence better.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 11:55 pm

my sensitivity to noise is what got me into my rather involved hobby of audio restoration, just so I could get rid of those infernal clicks and pops on my collection of several thousand phonograph recordings [IOW those old-fashioned flat black round things with music on them]. most people can listen through the welter of surface noise to the music below, but I am not similarly equipped to do that. my techy saviors in this regard, are a CEDAR DCX declicker and CRX decrackler.