Anyone here military/diagnosed while serving active duty US?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2013, 8:30 am

I am wondering if anyone here is/was active duty military US and received an autism diagnosis while still serving active duty? I was already told by my "off base" psychologist that she is almost certain that I have AS, but I also see an "on base" psychologist and psychiatrist. The reason I ask is because that if you have autism, then it's a dis-qualifier for entry into the military, but there are no clear rules on if you are diagnosed while already in.

My on base psychologist pulled out her DSM last visit and started to pathologize my symptoms. I was sweating that she would go directly to ASD. She ended up going over the symptoms of Social phobia, Generalized Anxiety, and Dysthymia. The thing that bothers me is that my off base psychologist also started with these things to eliminate before moving on to Aspergers.

I am working on my final years of service and don't want to get the boot. If anyone has experience in this than please share and thanks.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 29 of 200
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2013, 8:41 am

Yes.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2013, 8:45 am

Yes and then they kicked you out?
Or, yes and you were allowed to continue serving?

Thanks, I am nervous and looking for advice on this.

Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2013, 8:51 am

I was in the Air Force.

My psychologist recommended they give me an administrative separation, but my squadron commander didn't agree and allowed me to serve out my contract.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to what your leadership thinks. FYI: I was DXed by a military psychologist at age 26 when I had three years remaining on my second enlistment.

Hope that helps.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2013, 9:19 am

Thank you, that is good insight. I have 6 years left and want to retire.