NVLD and a job that is incompatible

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

drut
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jul 2013, 2:16 pm

I did not know I was a NVLDer until I lost my job as a surgical tech. For those who don't know, a ST stands next to or across from the surgeon and hands him/her the instruments they need. ST's arrive in the OR early, set up, scrub in, and finish setting up all the sterile stuff. I found wearing the mask severely limited my ability to hear what was spoken of all things. I did not know I needed to see more than the eyes of the person I'm communicating with in order to hear. I'd also 'lose'my instruments, that is not be able to see them even though they were right in front of me and I was the one who put them there!

One day the surgeon asked for what I heard as a Wife Beater. I said "say again. please?" WIFE BEATER! he shouted back. Finally, I said "What's a wife beater?" Then I heard an exasperated "BIG DEAVER" which is a large retractor.

I had to resign before getting fired, and got tested. NVLD. s**t.

murbark
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2013, 6:59 pm

Sorry but I kind of laughed at that...do you think you will have to change careers? That can be stressful, it happened to me.

drut
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jul 2013, 8:19 pm

The whole wife beater episode just about sent the anesthesiologist off his chair. I am going to have to change careers. Two years of school down the drain.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2013, 9:20 pm

Please. whatever you do, stay away from nursing!

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2013, 10:12 pm

Drut,

I hope my situation gives you some hope. I lost my job a year ago in a similar manner that you lost yours. Though mine is a different job, I found work at a place that was willing to 'work different'. I hope that wherever you are hired is innovative enough to realize that they can benefit from the many good things that are the flip side of NVLD.

Right now, you are probably angry and scared, and I don't blame you. I am not sure I have completely forgiven my last employer, given that my current manager is so much more awesome. The time you spent at school is never wasted. You have learned a lot, and your failure at this job is part of your learning. The more important thing is that you have seen what has gone wrong, and can hopefully get some coaching to set up a game plan to navigate them. You might even find that something as simple as getting tinted lenses can help. Or 'telling yourself' what to do, so that you can translate visual items into auditory info, so you can process the world better.

What I would focus on now is getting a job to stay employed, ideally in your area. Focus on the positives that NVLD has. I had to do that with my AS last year, which I was convinced was actually NVLD while I was applying for new jobs. Talk about your skills with your new supervisor and invest the time necessary in doing this preemptively so you don't get fired. And keep your 'self observations' in these talks positive, so you can keep your sights on what you do well and how you can accommodate your weaknesses. That has meant my job to me, and I hope that it will help you.

If you have questions, I am always happy to help.

murbark
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jul 2013, 2:14 am

drut wrote:
The whole wife beater episode just about sent the anesthesiologist off his chair. I am going to have to change careers. Two years of school down the drain.

Be good to yourself. Don't think of it as two years down the drain but as another stepping stone to finding your place. It's out there...just keep looking and reaching out.

drut
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jul 2013, 6:51 am

Thanks, everyone. I think I've gone through the steps of grief to acceptance since being diagnosed last November. I'd like to stay in healthcare and there are jobs I can handle like sterile processing and other support positions. But as redrobin suggested, direct patient care is better avoided. The scary part is finding out about this in my fifties, yet it explains why so many other jobs haven't worked out.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 8:01 pm

I just wanted to make sure that you knew what you are going through is a shared experience that many of us here can relate to.

Now get that job :)