Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 11:21 am

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
beneficii wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Popsicle wrote:
Are people in your life annoying you, or placing too much stress or expectation on you?

Yes. I got Dish Network, forgetting to talk to my landlord first, and apparently unlike last time I stayed in that complex, they are now banned. They put screws in the building and she now says I'm liable for the screws.

She also told me I must clean up my apartment, whatever that means. To me, that means get ridding of everything except a bed and kitchen stuff.

You don't have to throw everything out. Think "visually organize". Create open areas in each room for the eyes to rest on. File cabinets or a basket system do wonders. :)

I never seem to do it. I don't have much patience beyond a limited time. I don't know wat stops me, though.

Set a timer, right now if you can. Maybe for ten minutes. For ten minutes, just start sorting one area. After time is up, you can keep going if you get into it. If not, just step out of the room.
If you come back and look after a break, you might be surprised what you accomplished. Then repeat....
Inertia sucks, and cleaning is boring but important. Putting on music really helps me, too.

I'm currently at my parents' house and I'm lying on an air mattress and don't feel like moving.

I'm thinking of fleeing. Just cutting everything off and just starting somewhere new, better. I have no idea where, though.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 11:35 am

beneficii wrote:

I'm currently at my parents' house and I'm lying on an air mattress and don't feel like moving.

I'm thinking of fleeing. Just cutting everything off and just starting somewhere new, better. I have no idea where, though.

I know the feeling, but it never works. Trust me, I've tried. Repeatedly.

Nothing wrong with going for a long walk though.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:00 pm

I think I'm more motivated to just throw stuff away than to organize it, because in so doing I can express my anger.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:09 pm

beneficii wrote:
I think I'm more motivated to just throw stuff away than to organize it, because in so doing I can express my anger.

There you go. Pinpoint what exactly is making you angry about the situation. Try to find the most appropriate way to express that anger. As for throwing stuff out, if you won't miss it then have at it. If it's something important to you, then you're really punishing yourself because someone/something else made you angry. May not be the wisest course.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:16 pm

MMM always has sound advice.
I think we all feel like fleeing sometimes, it will be better if you can find a way to deal with this.
Just one little step at a time.
I'm sure the dish was installed correctly, it will not damage the building, is easily removed and the holes can be filled. That just sounds like a reason to have a moan to me.
Good luck, more power to you.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:23 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
MMM always has sound advice.
I think we all feel like fleeing sometimes, it will be better if you can find a way to deal with this.
Just one little step at a time.
I'm sure the dish was installed correctly, it will not damage the building, is easily removed and the holes can be filled. That just sounds like a reason to have a moan to me.
Good luck, more power to you.

Well, she yelled at me for it and said I was liable. I don't know how much that would cost. Maybe I can ask the Dish people to fill the holes.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:27 pm

What is it fixed to, is it masonry, like brick or concrete, or wood, or something else?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:31 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
What is it fixed to, is it masonry, like brick or concrete, or wood, or something else?

I'm not sure. What they did was set up a wire through the window, ran it by the walls of the bedroom and living room and attached it to the wall. My landlord also said that there was a box they attached to something which she said I would be liable for.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:32 pm

I'm also kinda mad she went into my apartment without first notifying me. The contract says she needs to give 24 hours notice.

SteelBlu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2013, 12:34 pm

Prioritize. There's nothing you can do about the screws now. Worry about that later, when your immediate living environment is no longer overwhelming. Worry about that after you've fixed what you CAN fix. If all else, you likely have a security deposit on your apartment. That will pay for the repairs.

When you think about what is upsetting you, what is the first picture that pops into your mind? The picture of a table in disarray? Or is it a smell? The smell of dishes left for a week? The feeling of tripping over something? Whatever that thing is, that's likely what's bothering you the most about the mess in your home. Whatever that first thing is, that thing is first priority. So, clean the table/rinse out the smelly dishes so they don't smell anymore/pick up what you've been tripping over. Now, you're in "cleaning mode." Say, you just rinsed out smelly dishes. Now, what do you see? A pile of rinsed dishes that could be washed? Do that. Now that those are gone, what do you see? A dirty counter? Wipe it with the dish sponge. Now that that's clean, what do you see? A wall that could be wiped down? Use the dish sponge for that, too. Use the ability to focus on little things to your advantage, to take cleaning in little bites like this, beginning with whatever is causing you the most distress in your environment.

This works for me, because I find that the "big picture" of a situation (like a trashed apartment--I've been there!) can be way too overwhelming. But, one task? Yeah, I can do that. And, when that's done, I can usually segue from that into another, nearby task. It's the difference between going, "Ahh, I have to pick a bushel of berries. There is a massive field of berries in front of me; where on earth do I start?!" and going, "Oh, look in front of me. One berry. I think I'll pick it up. Oooh, look, right behind that berry on the path, another berry! I'll pick that one up, too!" as you slowly follow the trail of berries down the path to where you want to go, you'll eventually have the same bushel of berries. I hope that made sense; I'm not always great at explaining things like this.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:35 pm

Do you plan to stay there?
How long ago was the dish fitted?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:42 pm

Actually, nothing in particular bothers me. I was considering a professional organizer because I felt like I had to clean up, though it turned out to be too expensive. I make sure to take care of food and stuff so it doesn't stink; I do care about that.

It's just in the context of my landlord yelling at me and telling me I have to clean my place. I'm realizing I have no motivation for that, and I feel trapped between my apathy and my landlord.

I've long been wondering if I should just live Spartan-style.

I kinda am already, considering I have no chairs or tables in my apartment; just a box I set my bowl or plate on top of while I sit on the floor.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:45 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
Do you plan to stay there?
How long ago was the dish fitted?

I have a 6 month lease up in December. I guess I can try rooming again. The only problem is that I start getting intense anxiety when I'm near the person.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:46 pm

I'm kinda mad too, because now I won't get TV Japan. :x

SteelBlu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2013, 12:48 pm

If you're happier living in a more spartan way, then absolutely do what will make you happy. But, if you feel like living a spartan lifestyle is just the only way you know how to cope with your landlord's demands, but would make you miserable, then I think it would be better to find a way to work with what you have. Personally, I can see the appeal of cutting down on possessions. It does make things simpler!

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:49 pm

It does sound like your landlord was out of line. If they were upset about the lack of notification, that might have carried over into a "And by the way... :x " Just make an effort to appease.

Your furniture situation is probably a big part of the problem. Living sparsely only works if it suits your personality. Some people thrive on chaotic surroundings. :shrug: