Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

desert_rat
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jan 2007, 6:52 pm

I have a brown streak in the middle of my left eye. Also, I'm missing a bone in my neck.

Aardvark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2007, 9:47 pm

Abt the 2nd toe being longer than the first and left handedness-- those are DEFINITELY, especially the first, NOT considered deformities.
Left handedness seems to have a corelation to a lot of conditions thouh but thats it.

Shale
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 10:27 pm

I've got that random extra blot in my eye too :? It's the same colour as my iris, which is brown...so it doesn't look great ><;

Prescott
Raven
Raven

24 Jan 2007, 11:03 pm

katrine wrote:
On a more serious note :)
A lot of minor birth defects are associated to autism. I read this in a book called "the biology of autism" by Christoffer Gillberg. The only one I can remember - because my son has it - are webbed fingers and toes. My son's 2nd and 3rd toes are webbed. There is no "scientific" explanation why, only the statistical facts.
Programmed cell death is supposed to unweb the webbed digits we all have in the second/third month of fetal life. I have speculated some gene variant may effect apoptosis more generally i.e. both digits/CNS causing too many cells - but its just my own little theory.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. I'll go look for that book, I'd like to read up on that. I've always thought that my sons' hand was somehow tied to his being so unique. I guess it really is.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 4:39 am

My dad has a black blob on the iris of one eye. It makes it look like his pupil is a funny shape.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 6:07 am

I have a mild form of spin bifida as well. It affects three vertebrae just below my neck.
I'm lucky that I haven't needed surgery and don't have problems walking. I do have a lot of nerves tingling and numbness that happens off and on, I'm used to that, though.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 6:47 am

My hands take on a more masculine appearance than the hands of most women.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 10:13 am

renaeden wrote:
I have a mild form of spin bifida as well. It affects three vertebrae just below my neck.
I'm lucky that I haven't needed surgery and don't have problems walking. I do have a lot of nerves tingling and numbness that happens off and on, I'm used to that, though.

Just below your neck? Wow, haven't heard of it being that high before. Good thing it's mild...

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 9:13 am

neongrl wrote:
Just below your neck? Wow, haven't heard of it being that high before. Good thing it's mild...

Yeah, the orthopaedic surgeon who took the x-rays said he'd only heard of it being that high but not actually seen it. Guess I made his day. :wink:
When I hear about the troubles some people have with spina bifida, I'm glad mine is mild. If it weren't, I would have a lot of trouble with my arms as well as my legs.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 9:25 am

neongrl wrote:
MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
so really not sure what the incidence of birth defects common with AS where AS is neurological...

I would think that most birth defects would be essentially neurological in their origin too - a glitch in the messages being passed down from the brain or spinal cord during the baby's development in the womb. (I guess genetic/chromosomal problems wouldn't apply though.) Maybe I'm wrong, that's just how someone explained it to me once.

Actually visible birth defects would be more likely chromosonal/genetic in nature due to chromosome deletions, inversions, or duplications.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 2:36 pm

I was born with congetial diapharmataic hernia.

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

prism97
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2007, 10:49 pm

I have crooked fingers, unusually long limbs for a short woman that make me look like a gangly teenager, a freckle brown pigment
on my right eyeball, I'm left-handed, don't age or gain weight, have extremely sensitive skin but other than these things, I'm fine! I don't consider these things to be defects (except by narrow NT standards!) merelt variations amongst humans much like As!

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2007, 10:53 pm

Weird, my head is also a bit larger than others'. Also, for whatever reason, my pointer finger and ring finger are the same length on my left hand, but my ring finger is noticeably longer on my right.