Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

0bey1sh1n0b1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2013, 12:29 pm

So I'm a huge BBT fan and I can't help but notice my traits to be more like Sheldon and Raj. To me both these guys have Asperger's. Now an interesting analysis is that even though they both suffer from the same cause you have two different coping mechanisms. One is a mute around women and the other is insanely OCD. I being a self identified Asperger's can't help but notice the stark difference in them and a co-worker of mine who is also Asperger's. I tend to lean on the side of mutism while he is out there nothing phases him yet those around him see his awkwardness. Has anyone else noticed this in themselves or someone else?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 1:38 pm

My Asperger's manifests itself differently, actually. I tend to talk endlessly about history, politics, or current events. Not nearly to the point I used to, when I could talk to someone till he or she was blue in the face. With life experience, I've learned to tone it down somewhat.
As a note of interest, the real life inspiration for both Sheldon and Raj had been a computer programmer who was like Sheldon in every way, except he could only talk to women while drunk.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 1:58 pm

My analysis of "Big Bang Theory" is this: It's a dumb show with dumb characters making dumb jokes.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 4:51 pm

maybe Leonard is the b'tween and b'twix character, neither connecting with other Aspies nor with civilians? (except when he's grooving with Penny of course)

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2013, 5:28 pm

They're all Aspies - even Penny! Just none of them have been diagnosed.
I tend to be somewhat mute in the workplace, especially in a team environment, but then if a supervisor or manager wants input about the efficacy of processes, or what improvements we can think of I rattle off pages of contribution, whilst others send a one liner, or go and talk to the boss.
Likewise I find it difficult to talk in meetings, but may provide input via an email later.
If drawn into a discussion I will talk and prattle on longer than is comfortable for others, but won't realize until I'm nearly finished.
Usually followed by an uncomfortable silence.
I have occasional OCD tendencies, but these are only bad or noticeable when I am especially stressed, so at other times not a problem.

I find I get more in touch with my emotions with alcohol, and that it does help to loosen me up and switch the "mute" off, but then I just get irritating with my opinions, my trivial anecdotes, and my frustration at the "boring interests of others".
The biggest problem with BBT is that each episode is only funny once - when you've seen the episode before the magic is gone, and most networks tend to play the show in endless repeats at the end of each season. Much the same as what killed Two and a Half Men - same writers same problems.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 5:35 pm

DarkRain wrote:
My analysis of "Big Bang Theory" is this: It's a dumb show with dumb characters making dumb jokes.

You left out "extremely," "astoundingly," and "nauseatingly."

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 7:34 pm

Jory wrote:
DarkRain wrote:

You left out "extremely," "astoundingly," and "nauseatingly."

It didn't take long for me to get really tired of the "my mother had me tested" line. The first time it was funny, but after that it quickly became nauseating.

0bey1sh1n0b1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2013, 9:03 am

DarkRain wrote:

Yes it is a dumb show. That's the point. The characters are overly exaggerated in their spectrums to highlight their differences and how they interact with each other. In everyday events you will see people with a little bit of each characters personality.