Page 5 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 4:51 pm

Alcohol = mellowing out and the proof is European culture?

Hmmmnnn, how about the Balkans conflict - a wonderfully booze fuelled period. Or Football hooliganism, or the carnage of most any town centre in the wee small hours of a sunday morning, after a sports event or major concert etc?

'Muslims need to start drinking because somehow that will 'mellow out' the extremists' - refer to the Balkans conflict, religious bigotry and booze...

Nice to see that PPR is still the home of intelligent and informed discussion and all the pointless 'look at me' slogan posting and minority bashing, the inflammatory generalisations etc have stopped... :wtg: :lmao:

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 5:06 pm

RedHanrahan wrote:
Nice to see that PPR is still the home of intelligent and informed discussion and all the pointless 'look at me' slogan posting and minority bashing, the inflammatory generalisations etc have stopped... :wtg: :lmao:

You mean.... you don't come here just to see the trainwrecks?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 5:09 pm

A couple of the ones who run the store up by me already do drink alcohol. They smoke cigarettes too.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 5:59 pm

Alcohol does serve an important societal purpose:

It makes people honest. Hence why Romans distrusted anyone who stayed sober all the time, they must have been hiding something if they'd never loosen their lips.

You will reap what you've sown.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 8:04 pm

first off, your history is wrong. Europe is one of the most violent regions in history. It was in a constant state of war from the roman empire to the cold war. The Middle east has cycled between eras of peace and eras of war, they are currently in a war era. After the rise of Islam in the middle east and alcohol was removed, the middle east entered a period of relative peace, prosperity, and golden age, for hundreds of years. While at the same time the alcoholic medieval Europeans was buttering each other, before turning to invading the middle east and fighting the crusades.
second off, your ethosocialogy is wrong. Alcohol is a poison, that damages the brain, especially the part dealing with inhibition, which creates violant people.
The smart thing for humanity would be for the rest of humanity to renounce alcohol and embrace the virtue of the sober life.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 10:41 am

True.

Liquor tends to make folks more violent, not less.

Ive never heard of community complaints about soccer hooligans not getting ENOUGH liquour.

And true that Europe has been in an unusually peaceful stretch of what is a really a violent history. And even in this stretch there have been corners of europe with wars (northern Ireland, and especially former Yugoslavia).

If you look at 1914 to 1945, and you look at Russia and Europe combined (both high drinking areas) you would see 1) world war one and the deaths of ten million people, 2) a civil war in Russia that cost the lives of another 13 million people, 3) a civil war in Spain that cost 1.5 million lives, and the european theatre of World War Two which cost upwards of another 35 million lives.

That would be alot of violence IMHO.

So just by picking a different time period you could argue the exact opposite: that drinking areas a more violent than non drinking areas of the world.

In that same time period the islamic world had very little violence relatively speaking.

There is one huge curious exception-that being the Turkish genocide against the Armenians ( one to two million deaths). But that was partially the result of Turkey getting caught up in a European war (world war one). The Turkish dictator who perpetrated it became a role model for two later European dictators (Hitler and Stalin) in mass murder who both bested him by mass murdering even more people each.

Ironically- today Turkey is one of the more peaceful and prosperous countries of the mid east.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 6:03 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:

You mean.... you don't come here just to see the trainwrecks?

:lol:

I stopped coming because I have little interest in the internal squabbles of the US, was constantly gang banged if I commented on your external policy and I was becoming obnoxious out of sheer frustration.... I guess I need to learn to enjoy trainwrecks... :?

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!