Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 9:28 am

MDD123 wrote:
I think that MJ is the intoxicant of choice in the Middle East, but they have alcohol, maybe not in the open though.

Seriously, what is MJ? The first thing that came to my mind was Michael Jackson, but I was like, Nah, that can't be... Or is it? Were you being inappropriately perverted?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 9:31 am

I enjoyed looking at the map. There must be some reason that Nigeria and Uganda are little pockets of hard drinking in Africa. But I thinking any apparent inverse correlation between a nation's alcohol consumption and its' violence is just a coincidence of this snapshot in time. If you set this map at another historical point, you'd get a different correlation.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 9:58 am

Cei wrote:
I'm not even old enough to legally drink, what do you expect? Although I suppose you have a point, cider is okay.

If you're American, you'll know it as 'hard cider'. It's just cider here.

But again, you need the real stuff. The very industrial and tasteless stuff isn't for me at all.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 11:07 am

mikassyna wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
I think that MJ is the intoxicant of choice in the Middle East, but they have alcohol, maybe not in the open though.

Seriously, what is MJ? The first thing that came to my mind was Michael Jackson, but I was like, Nah, that can't be... Or is it? Were you being inappropriately perverted?

Just abbreviating Mary Jane, not to say Michael Jackson isn't popular in that part of the world, just not considered an intoxicant.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 12:11 pm

MDD123 wrote:
Just abbreviating Mary Jane, not to say Michael Jackson isn't popular in that part of the world, just not considered an intoxicant.

Wow, I didn't even know what you meant by Mary Jane. I was thinking white-bre(a)d girls? Then I looked it up (thank goodness for Google!) and realized it is slang for marijuana. I had no idea. How long has that term been around? Do most people know that?

I know it took me a long time to figure out what JD was. It was because I never was around anyone who drank the stuff.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 4:44 pm

Jono wrote:
I thought that Islam was supposed to prohibit muslims from drinking alcohol.

I think that is the majority opinion. There is a verse in the Koran saying that alcohol is somewhat good but mostly bad, and another verse that forbids intoxication. There are some clerics that say that moderate drinking that doesn't lead to intoxication is ok, which would mean one or two drinks (I suppose, I'm just guessing here). I know a Muslim who drinks, and some other people from Muslim backgrounds who drink.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 9:05 pm

mikassyna wrote:

Wow, I didn't even know what you meant by Mary Jane. I was thinking white-bre(a)d girls? Then I looked it up (thank goodness for Google!) and realized it is slang for marijuana. I had no idea. How long has that term been around? Do most people know that?

I know it took me a long time to figure out what JD was. It was because I never was around anyone who drank the stuff.

I've known about it since my granparent's golden anniversary, I was going to get my grandpa a bumper sticker that said "I love Mary Jane" (because that's my grandma's name) and my sister told me why it was a bad idea. My stomach hurts just by thinking about JD.

RudeGoldbergMachine
Raven
Raven

12 Jul 2013, 12:12 pm

I wouldn't encourage a whole culture to start drinking. In my experience drunkenness and violence have a direct, not an inverse, correlation. We do plenty of imbibing here in the US of A, and it hasn't tamed our militarism.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 12:17 pm

I just can't get over Uganda.

Looks like Budweiser Brewing and Jack Daniels have a pretty good beachhead to take on the southern Sudan's markets.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 12:18 pm

I'm wondering though, especially seeing the palest places being over the Sahara desert, does it have more to do with Islam or more to do with dehydration?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 12:20 pm

MDD123 wrote:
mikassyna wrote:

Dont know your age.
But the term is probably too old for you, not too new.

It was current in the sixties when the counter culture discovered pot. It was probably already old then. Its a rather obvious verbal progression- to take the word 'marajuana' and turn it into 'mary jane' when you're speaking of it around authority figures. In fact I think it actually means "mary jane" or "mary joan" in spanish. But because it is such an obvious verbal morphing- it became both passe' as slang- and too obvious as code- extremely fast. Actual pot users stop using the term before 1970. So it became passe before you were even born probably.

But I think that would be kinda cute- to have your grandpa express love for your grandma by missusing a pro pot bumper sticker.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 12:23 pm

RudeGoldbergMachine wrote:
I wouldn't encourage a whole culture to start drinking. In my experience drunkenness and violence have a direct, not an inverse, correlation. We do plenty of imbibing here in the US of A, and it hasn't tamed our militarism.

Hasn't W. Bush stopped drinking? Big mistake.
But in the US itself things are fairly peaceful. There hasn't been a war on their territory since 1945, and that did not really reach the mainland so much. Getting drawn in WW2 was more or less unavoidable in my opinion, even before Pearl Harbor the US was giving aid to the allies. And 9/11 was of course done by those damn teetotalers!

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 12:33 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'm wondering though, especially seeing the palest places being over the Sahara desert, does it have more to do with Islam or more to do with dehydration?

Yet there are also many fertile grounds for farming in the region. In the supermarket I often see vegetales with their origin labeled as Morocco or Egypt. They could probably grow the grain or grapes for drinks.
I think there might be a climate thing for it though. In cold climates people like their drinks because it gives a feeling of warmth. And of course short days and long nights in winter are depressing. That's probably why in some northern places drinking is somewhat restricted by the government, such as the dry towns in Alaska, or Norway and Sweden where only the government sells alcohol to take home.
In warm places it could be the opposite, if the drinks make you feel warmer when you already felt too warm it would be uncomfortable.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I just can't get over Uganda.

Looks like Budweiser Brewing and Jack Daniels have a pretty good beachhead to take on the southern Sudan's markets.

I was also curious about Uganda, I found an article on it and apparantly it's a national sport to make banana gin and drink high-alcohol beers: linky to Time article

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 12:36 pm

trollcatman wrote:
I was also curious about Uganda, I found an article on it and apparantly it's a national sport to make banana gin and drink high-alcohol beers: linky to Time article

Nice. I'll have to see if they export any of that banana gin.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 12:52 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

Nice. I'll have to see if they export any of that banana gin.

I wouldn't get the homemade banana gin: some people became blind because of it, so hey must have created methanol instead of ethanol.

Here's banana flavored liqueuer, somewhat popular in the Netherlands, Pisang Ambon. People sometimes mix it with orange juice or coke. Pisang is Indonesian/Maylaysian for banana.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 1:18 pm

MDD123 wrote:
mikassyna wrote:

Dont know your age.
But the term is probably too old for you, not too new.

That was one of the many slang terms for it in the days of sixties' psychedelia when marajuana smoking became common. Hendrix even made veiled reference to it in his song "the Wind Cries Mary".

Its a rather obvious verbal transition from "marajuana"(which actually means something like 'mary jane' in spanish)- thus its obvious as a code word.
But for exactly that reason it became TOO obvious as code, and became passe' as slang extremely fast. So that particular term probably died out before you were born.