Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 8:22 pm

(Alcohol consumption by country, from wikipedia)

This is a map of the world. On it is a continent called Europe or (by the Germans) Oiropa. On this continent live people who really like their drinks. They drink more than the people on other continents. It is also one of the most prosperous and peaceful places, except for that misunderstanding in the 1940s (that was caused by a teetotaler with a funny mustache). The Europeans with their booze-addled brains seem to have lost their spirit for war and conflict. It is difficult to aim your rifle when the world is spinning.

To the south and east of this is a region called the Middle East. It is a very dry place, people must be thirsty! But many people don't drink because their prophet told that no alcohol should cross their lips. Obviously he didn't know about the practice of soaking a tampon in vodka and inserting... never mind. These people invented beer and wine, and later they even invented destillation for people who think beer is for children (i.e. Russians). They were one of the most advanced civilisations, but then they stopped drinking for no reason. Now there is conflict and strife everywhere. We see it almost daily on the news. Everybody knows that most conflicts can be resolved by offering the other party a drink and saying stuff like cheers or prost. Repeat ad nauseam.

Here is a picture of Europe:

And here is a picture of the Middle East:

Now did Europe mellow out despite alcohol, or because of it?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 8:58 pm

I think that MJ is the intoxicant of choice in the Middle East, but they have alcohol, maybe not in the open though.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 9:09 pm

I think that the muslims smoke more of their own traditional intoxicant-hash- to mellow out.
Trouble is that Europe has only been a 'peaceful place' since 1945. And even since then there has been sectarian strife in Northern Ireland, genocidal wars in former Yugoslavia. But europe in the main has been peaceful since 1945. But Europeans have been drinking less per capita since 1945 than anytime in the last 2000 plus years. And the have been smoking more hash in those years than any other time history as well.

During the rest of history when europeans were heavy drinkers, but rarely smoked marajuana, they were atleast as warlike as middle easterners, if not more so. So you could just as easily argue the opposites: the reduced drinking causes reduced violence, or that increase use of the favored intoxicant of muslims (hashish) decreases violence.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 9:22 pm

You might as well tell Orthodox Jews they need to start eating pork.

ruveyn

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2013, 9:47 pm

Actually a lot of Muslims, particularly wealthy ones, do-in secret.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Koran make an exception for "medicinal" purposes?

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 9:49 pm

- assuming alcohol is a good thing
- hating muslims

You must be american.

CapriciousAgent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2013, 9:54 pm

I'm still trying to decide which of those groups I'd rather be stuck in a room with...

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 9:59 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I think that the muslims smoke more of their own traditional intoxicant-hash- to mellow out.
Trouble is that Europe has only been a 'peaceful place' since 1945. And even since then there has been sectarian strife in Northern Ireland, genocidal wars in former Yugoslavia. But europe in the main has been peaceful since 1945. But Europeans have been drinking less per capita since 1945 than anytime in the last 2000 plus years. And the have been smoking more hash in those years than any other time history as well.

During the rest of history when europeans were heavy drinkers, but rarely smoked marajuana, they were atleast as warlike as middle easterners, if not more so. So you could just as easily argue the opposites: the reduced drinking causes reduced violence, or that increase use of the favored intoxicant of muslims (hashish) decreases violence.

That Europeans are drinking less than historically, is that really the case? I know people during the Middle Ages usually drank beer instead of water because the water was not safe, but that was usually beer with very low alcohol concent. And it was mostly the nobility who could afford wine or cider. The Romans often watered down their wine.
I agree that Europeans probably smoke more weed than any other time in history. Though the Victorians experimented with all kinds of things before drug prohibition.

And I don't really think alcohol somehow leads to peace. But I found it interesting that in a continent that is quite succesful (peaceful, high standard of living) people drink so much more than in many other places.
I've also heard it said that the discovery of tea and coffee by Europeans helped their society because people now had a healthy drink (because it was boiled) that was not beer or wine.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 10:04 pm

uwmonkdm wrote:
- assuming alcohol is a good thing
- hating muslims

You must be american.

I don't hate muslims and I'm European.

Cei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2013, 12:22 am

Nah. That stuff tastes awful anyway. Try again with bacon, maybe. :P

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 12:26 am

For all the people talking about pork and bacon, here is a nutricious breakfast for you:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 4:17 am

MagicToenail wrote:
Actually a lot of Muslims, particularly wealthy ones, do-in secret.

The upper classes in even the most religiously fundamentalist countries like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan are notorious for this.

trollcatman wrote:
For all the people talking about pork and bacon, here is a nutricious breakfast for you:

I don't think I could eat those thick sausages because of body reasons. That said, I'd happily drink the beer and perhaps try a bit of the sausage.

Cei wrote:
Nah. That stuff tastes awful anyway.

That's because you haven't tried a wide range of alcoholic drinks.

Some of them I will agree are disgusting and I don't generally go near wine or spirits (and I rarely drink lager or RTDs), but I do like real ale, proper cider and so on.

Cei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2013, 4:44 am

Tequila wrote:
Cei wrote:
Nah. That stuff tastes awful anyway.

That's because you haven't tried a wide range of alcoholic drinks.

Some of them I will agree are disgusting and I don't generally go near wine or spirits (and I rarely drink lager or RTDs), but I do like real ale, proper cider and so on.

I'm not even old enough to legally drink, what do you expect? Although I suppose you have a point, cider is okay.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Jul 2013, 7:22 am

Places with cultures of drinking aren't known for being particularly peaceful. Peace in Europe didn't come until 1945 at the end of the gun. The US liberated, rebuilt, and protected western Europe from the Soviets and that is why there is peace today. The sickness that infected Europe still exists just dormant, you see glimpses from time to time.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 9:23 am

I thought that Islam was supposed to prohibit muslims from drinking alcohol.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 9:28 am

MDD123 wrote:
I think that MJ is the intoxicant of choice in the Middle East, but they have alcohol, maybe not in the open though.

Seriously, what is MJ? The first thing that came to my mind was Michael Jackson, but I was like, Nah, that can't be... Or is it? Were you being inappropriately perverted?