Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,947
Location: temperate zone

12 Jul 2013, 1:18 pm

MDD123 wrote:
mikassyna wrote:

Wow, I didn't even know what you meant by Mary Jane. I was thinking white-bre(a)d girls? Then I looked it up (thank goodness for Google!) and realized it is slang for marijuana. I had no idea. How long has that term been around? Do most people know that?

I know it took me a long time to figure out what JD was. It was because I never was around anyone who drank the stuff.

.


Dont know your age.
But the term is probably too old for you, not too new.

That was one of the many slang terms for it in the days of sixties' psychedelia when marajuana smoking became common. Hendrix even made veiled reference to it in his song "the Wind Cries Mary".

Its a rather obvious verbal transition from "marajuana"(which actually means something like 'mary jane' in spanish)- thus its obvious as a code word.
But for exactly that reason it became TOO obvious as code, and became passe' as slang extremely fast. So that particular term probably died out before you were born.



mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2013
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,319
Location: New York, NY

12 Jul 2013, 2:37 pm

naturalplastic, thanks for the explanation!

I was born after the 60's, but not by too much :-)



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,947
Location: temperate zone

12 Jul 2013, 9:05 pm

mikassyna wrote:
naturalplastic, thanks for the explanation!

I was born after the 60's, but not by too much :-)


Your welcome.



albedo
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 293

13 Jul 2013, 2:02 am

Tequila wrote:
Cei wrote:
I'm not even old enough to legally drink, what do you expect? Although I suppose you have a point, cider is okay.


If you're American, you'll know it as 'hard cider'. It's just cider here.

But again, you need the real stuff. The very industrial and tasteless stuff isn't for me at all.


In fairness there is a cider revival in the US.

It is really hard to find proper dry cider in UK, the market has been flooded by false history brands. "Dry" or "Dedium Dry" are mostly code for sweet as hell and carbonated. It is just some Somerset, and Normandy ciders, that have passed muster so far. I tried a Swedish one recently, big mistake.

My theory is, the reason why people drink these candy ciders, is because they really want to drink alchopops, but they are too old to get away with that. :wink:

I'm unable to drink beer, so finding proper cider is a must for me. Personally I often find white wine sickly. Not knocking it just isn't for me. I like red wine better. Wine is really for having with good food.

I don't mind some spirits like brandy, whiskey, and gin (which is technically a flavored vodka, but much better than most commercial vodkas).



TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2012
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 641

13 Jul 2013, 2:35 am

The ones who live in the West might as well quit drinking instead, to be frank. All the crazy things they done when inebriated...



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,947
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

13 Jul 2013, 2:55 am

trollcatman wrote:
For all the people talking about pork and bacon, here is a nutricious breakfast for you:

Image


Oh God, I could live with that breakfast! I'd be in Deutscher heaven. :D

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer



puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,777
Location: Cottonopolis

13 Jul 2013, 5:09 am

Janissy wrote:
I enjoyed looking at the map. There must be some reason that Nigeria and Uganda are little pockets of hard drinking in Africa.


Former British colonies? When you consider what we did to the natives in America and Australia as far as getting them hooked on booze goes, we probably tried the same crap in Africa, as well.

The British also don't trust someone who doesn't drink. It's a really big deal to go teetotal in this country if you're not Muslim.


_________________
Zombies, zombies will tear us apart...again.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,947
Location: temperate zone

13 Jul 2013, 7:07 am

puddingmouse wrote:
Janissy wrote:
I enjoyed looking at the map. There must be some reason that Nigeria and Uganda are little pockets of hard drinking in Africa.


Former British colonies? When you consider what we did to the natives in America and Australia as far as getting them hooked on booze goes, we probably tried the same crap in Africa, as well.

The British also don't trust someone who doesn't drink. It's a really big deal to go teetotal in this country if you're not Muslim.


In the USA the leading cause of death on Indian reservations are cirrosis of the liver, car crashes, drunkeness, and alcohol poisoning, all caused by the consumption of alcohol- which the Indians didnt have until the Europeans invaded the New World.

The leading causes of death in White Americans are: emphesyma, and lung cancer, and other things caused by cigarettes- made from tobacco - which Europeans didnt have until they Invaded the New World and got it from the American Indian.



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,897
Location: Lancashire, UK

13 Jul 2013, 7:10 am

puddingmouse wrote:
The British also don't trust someone who doesn't drink. It's a really big deal to go teetotal in this country if you're not Muslim.


Half of Nigeria is ROP, though.

I wouldn't shun anyone who doesn't drink, but I probably would not normally have a vast amount in common with them either. Definitely if they're ROP or some loopy Christian fringe that doesn't drink, or bloody temperance morons.



albedo
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 293

13 Jul 2013, 7:22 am

I'm not a huge drinker, I drink socially. But I usually have 3 at the most.

When I'm eating I drink more.

Sometimes I go out with my friends and I don't feel like drinking alcohol, and I don't care if they do.

My problem is I can't drink beer, so it depends what else they have got.

I don't drink to get off my head.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,947
Location: temperate zone

13 Jul 2013, 7:36 am

Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
The British also don't trust someone who doesn't drink. It's a really big deal to go teetotal in this country if you're not Muslim.


Half of Nigeria is ROP, though.

I wouldn't shun anyone who doesn't drink, but I probably would not normally have a vast amount in common with them either. Definitely if they're ROP or some loopy Christian fringe that doesn't drink, or bloody temperance morons.


What the H is 'ROP'?

I was thinking about how the northern two thirds of Nigeria is the region of the Hausa tribe who are Muslim- which would mean that the biggest part of Nigeria is actually dry. So the pagan, and Christian groups on the southern coast (like the Ibo, and Yoruba) must do ALOT of boozing to make up for the Hausa to put the whole country in the dark shade on that map!



albedo
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 293

13 Jul 2013, 7:43 am

puddingmouse wrote:
Janissy wrote:
I enjoyed looking at the map. There must be some reason that Nigeria and Uganda are little pockets of hard drinking in Africa.


Former British colonies? When you consider what we did to the natives in America and Australia as far as getting them hooked on booze goes, we probably tried the same crap in Africa, as well.

The British also don't trust someone who doesn't drink. It's a really big deal to go teetotal in this country if you're not Muslim.


When America was a British colony it was really a think strip on the east coast, a bunch of loosely joined colonies. Much of the indoctrination of natives was done but religious people, many of the puritan (not exclusively from UK), it is fair to say they didn't have drinking culture. But regardless what evidence do you have that there was an effort to make natives alcoholics? I wouldn't even say that of post independence history.

The drinking of aboriginals undoubtedly had to do with the deprivation and social breakdown, and it being available rather than a concerted effort to get them hooked on alcohol.

There are many ways of looking at that map, you can make a bunch of assumption which are not necessarily true.

Remember alcohol is not new, people have been making alcohol out of things like honey, tubers and spit, fermented fruit, etc for thousands of years. In fact, Many animal eat thing that make them drunk. Langur monkeys fall out of trees they get so drunk.



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,897
Location: Lancashire, UK

13 Jul 2013, 7:47 am

albedo wrote:
Much of the indoctrination of natives was done but religious people, many of the puritan (not exclusively from UK)


The UK didn't exist when the Americas were British.



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,897
Location: Lancashire, UK

13 Jul 2013, 7:48 am

naturalplastic wrote:
What the H is 'ROP'?


"Religion of Peace" - sarcastic term for Islam/Muslim. Specially with Boko Haram and so on and so forth.



puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,777
Location: Cottonopolis

13 Jul 2013, 7:52 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
The British also don't trust someone who doesn't drink. It's a really big deal to go teetotal in this country if you're not Muslim.


Half of Nigeria is ROP, though.

I wouldn't shun anyone who doesn't drink, but I probably would not normally have a vast amount in common with them either. Definitely if they're ROP or some loopy Christian fringe that doesn't drink, or bloody temperance morons.


What the H is 'ROP'?

I was thinking about how the northern two thirds of Nigeria is the region of the Hausa tribe who are Muslim- which would mean that the biggest part of Nigeria is actually dry. So the pagan, and Christian groups on the southern coast (like the Ibo, and Yoruba) must do ALOT of boozing to make up for the Hausa to put the whole country in the dark shade on that map!


I knew a Yoruba woman once at work who would confirm what you said.


_________________
Zombies, zombies will tear us apart...again.