About to be diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder....

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Cardiff
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2013, 6:23 am

Broadly I get anxious in social settings of more than one person, often feel spaced out when listening to loud music. Can you be diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder if you have really good theory of mind?(which i have) My only problem is occasionally taking a joke too far resulting in people getting upset by my actions . Do i have an ASD?

lonestar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jul 2013, 6:55 am

Cardiff wrote:
Broadly I get anxious in social settings of more than one person, often feel spaced out when listening to loud music. Can you be diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder if you have really good theory of mind?(which i have) My only problem is occasionally taking a joke too far resulting in people getting upset by my actions . Do i have an ASD?

well im in the process of being diagnosed within the spectrum, and i would say i have a good ToM. Its learned though. The theory of mind does not come naturally for me. Its lots of topics on ToM in here, just have a search :)

(In the process of getting a ASD diagnosis)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2013, 8:46 am

OP,
the reason they diagnose people as having a label of autism is because the persons life is significantly affected in various areas.
ASD by default has significant issues within the whole of the 'triad of impairment'.
if a persons only issue is having a different blend of humour which can get out of control,then that doesnt suggest autism to any level, there are a lot of varied behaviors,traits and difficulties associated with a diagnosed autism disorder.

however people tend to focus on certain issues when writing about how they think they fit ASD and arent going to be writing down their life story,so its not the opinion of people who are strangers that matter, if have got issues that want to get an understanding on or help with then see a autism specialized pyschologist.
it woud help to see one who is experienced in seeing autistics of the age group are in to,and if are female that shoud be taken into consideration with the search for a pysch as well, as we females tend to be more implosive and outwardly caring whereas males tend to be explosive and logic driven,but it differs greatly,some of us have grown up on a lot of meds due to having severe challenging behavior whereas some males fit the female stereotype; we have had male users here told theyre not autistic due to this stereotyping being relied on to much.

best of luck with seeking assessment and if need any help,feel free to pm.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!