Yes 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
No 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
I dont know 52%  52%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 27

lonestar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jul 2013, 2:30 am

I often feel that other people expect me to feel a surten way. And i would say i do have alot of emotions i experience during the day. Mostly i feel a inner stress/anxiety, but also happyness, sadness, confusion , melancolia.
I feel i experience the same range of emotiens as everybody else, but im not shure if i have tha appropriat feelins at the right time. you guyes know what i mean?

I wonder if most of the people here on WP have a narrow range of emotions, or feel like they have lots of emotions during the day.

Pleas explain :)

(In the process of getting a ASD diagnosis)

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 2:34 am

I voted "I don't know" in the poll because I'm not sure if what I experience is in line with what most people experience. I do know that my emotional regulation isn't quite right--I can go from being calm to being all worked up rather quickly. My brother described me as going from showing little emotion to showing too much emotion with no in-between.

lonestar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jul 2013, 2:41 am

FishStickNick wrote:
I voted "I don't know" in the poll because I'm not sure if what I experience is in line with what most people experience. I do know that my emotional regulation isn't quite right--I can go from being calm to being all worked up rather quickly. My brother described me as going from showing little emotion to showing too much emotion with no in-between.

Well, nobody knows how any one else is feeling. but i asume that i experience the emotions others do (NT`s) . But what i know for shure, is that people expect me to show other emptions than i often do, in a surten scenario.
I can relate quite well with being calm to being all worked up rather quickly . and my NT friends can be somehowe shocked by my emotions, as i tend to overreact to surten envirements and situations. And other situations , like for example a surprice/gift from someone, dont really make me happy. I cant even fake being happy for somthing i dont really appreciate.

(In the process of getting a ASD diagnosis)

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 5:13 am

Yeah. They all just get really confused. I don't get them and I am not sure how to handle it when others display very strong ones like crying or getting angry. I don;t usually understand the triggers of them on other people.

wildcoyotedancer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jul 2013, 1:07 pm

I don't know if I have a wide range compared to others or to NTs. I just know I feel everything very intensely but that I can't identify the specific emotions or emotions I am feeling without taking the time to consciously process them by going through why I am feeling flooded or overwhelmed. Sometimes I do know if it's a positive or negative emotion but sometimes even that gets confused. My first emotional reaction is usually confusion or feeling overwhelmed. I sometimes then will talk about what I am thinking is going on with a friend or post on Facebook but if it's an NT friend then they say stuff like "you think too much" but that's because NTs don't have to process their emotions in this way. I am guessing that we do have he same variety of emotions but that most of us on the spectrum have to learn how to process them consciously because of course unconsciously to subconsciously we feel each emotion but consciously we feel anxious or overwhelmed. Sometimes I even experience physical pain and think something is physically wrong if I'm very shutdown and then I might have a crying meltdown for no reason I can consciously fathom and it's not my PMS time etc and then I have to sit and have a lightbulb moment of realizing I am upset or exhausted or in love etc. Before I worked with kids on the spectrum or suspected I might be on the spectrum I had a lot of panic attacks. I think now it was because I didn't process most of my emotions.

I also am empathic or can't always differentiate what is my emotional state vs what are the emotions of another person I am with or if in a group all the people in the group. So I have to have time alone to process and pull apart my feelings from those of the other person or people in the group.

Sometimes I wonder if this is why I misread cues and have had so many misunderstandings. I often react impulsively via text or on social media while I am overwhelmed before I have actually processed the emotion and I may be in meltdown actually so then I am self absorbed and just tying to get rid o the feeling and might be trying to get others to take it away or blame others for it which I know isn't rational or the right thing to do.

Conversely when I'm feeling flooded in a group situation I just shut down and sit by myself but wish I wasn't drawing a blank and looking so aloof or stuck up and uninterested or uncaring when the opposite is true. I want to interact. Then if it's in a class like dance class and I am feeling flooded but also have to process new skills then I can be on the verge of meltdown and appear grumpy and snitty which makes me feel embarrassed and like a little kid when I am a grown woman.

I lost my point but maybe in a rambling tangential way I contributed to the conversation lol.

Personality: INFP

lowe137
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jul 2013, 2:05 pm

i voted no.. not sure if i dont feel certain emotions or if i just dont understand what im feeling... i feel anxiety all the time... i feel confused alot.. i feel anger alot, way too much... i feel embarrassment alot... thats about it... i feel others but usually cant identify them... i struggle with empathy and sympathy.... i notice that when someone tells me a relative/friend has died my first reaction is to laugh or smirk.. i dont mean to do this it just kinda happens.. all i can ever say is "oh that sux." i noticed most people say "sorry to hear that" but that never really comes to mind..
oh and i feel depression and sadness... looking back on my life i have been very depressed and lacking any self-esteem

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2013, 5:49 pm

I feel envy a lot and it's not on the list of basic emotions that I've heard are easier for people with alexithymia to feel. I'm not sure if I have that disorder. If I notice the emotion at all I can immediately identify what it is that I'm feeling. I might not notice a feeling if it's not intense enough.

Even though I can't know for sure I believe that I experience the same range of emotions as most people even though I don't experience them in the same intensities. As someone else mentioned I used to either feel things in extremes or not at all. I'm noticing subtle emotions more than I used to but I suspect I'm behind most people in that area of development.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

14 Jul 2013, 7:45 pm

Pissed off
Vindictive
Nonchalant
Despondent
Needy
Sad

That's about it.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 11:49 am

I have more extreme moods than most people, although a lot of that is PTSD rather than autism.