Do you believe actions are all there is?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 9:48 am

qawer wrote:
Do you agree that we should only think about things that might affect our actions somehow?

I mean, if we think about things not in some way related to actions, those thoughts are pointless/useless, right?

For instance, you shouldn't spend time thinking about how trains get into movement if you are never going to use that information as a part of your actions. Those thoughts are better spent on more relevant information, right?

There is no reason to limit thought only to pragmatic topics. Extended, private thought is useful in many ways, including simple relaxation, finding inspiration for future projects, working out a difficult mental puzzle or problem, etc. People with AS in particular need to sift through data they can't track and analyse in real time, like social situations.

It is true that thought alone will not change your outward circumstances, but there must be a balance between thought and action. And even if you spend all your time thinking, it is no worse than if you spent it watching television (better, perhaps, since your thoughts don't contain advertising.)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 10:04 am

Most of the time, useful thought without the action of recording it in external media of some kind is eventually lost, so while I wouldn't go so far as to say it doesn't "exist" I would agree that it is not very productive, or useful. Recorded thought--notes, videos, audio recordings, books, journals, blackboard notations, etc. is fundamental to civilization.

No actions of consequence take place without some active thinking, even if the thought is centered around applying someone else's plans to the immediate circumstances of execution.

If you have been thinking about all sorts of interesting things and not recording those thoughts, I think you are likely to lose what progress you make in your thinking. If you do record your thoughts, you will be able to build on previous thought and create new and better things as a result.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 10:39 am

Adamantium wrote:
Most of the time, useful thought without the action of recording it in external media of some kind is eventually lost, so while I wouldn't go so far as to say it doesn't "exist" I would agree that it is not very productive, or useful. Recorded thought--notes, videos, audio recordings, books, journals, blackboard notations, etc. is fundamental to civilization.

Agreed. I can't count the number of times that I've heard, "Hey! You stole my idea!" from someone who never writes them down or records them in any way.

Adamantium wrote:
No actions of consequence take place without some active thinking, even if the thought is centered around applying someone else's plans to the immediate circumstances of execution.

Agreed. As General Patton once said, "A good plan executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week". Planning can take you only so far; it's the action that produces the results.

Adamantium wrote:
If you have been thinking about all sorts of interesting things and not recording those thoughts, I think you are likely to lose what progress you make in your thinking. If you do record your thoughts, you will be able to build on previous thought and create new and better things as a result.

Therein lies the heart and soul of the Scientific Methods.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 12:46 pm

Good way to good way to do things is to do things.

Thinking to doing is good way to bester thinking.

Thinking and thinking and thinking and no doing and no doing and no doing is not good, I think.

:albino: :albino: :albino: