Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

sppp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jul 2013, 4:53 pm

Python is a good way to learn high-level concepts, and quickly solidify your ideas as code. C is good for writing relatively efficient programs and getting to know more about how your computer really works. It sounds like you're more interested in the former.

Don't bother learning Java unless you want to do Android apps or something.

0bey1sh1n0b1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jul 2013, 7:48 am

I'm surprise no one has mentioned it but careerwise you should look into Ruby and C#. Both take a longtime to learn but you will get jobs. However having any programming experience on your résumé is better than no experience at all.

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2013, 1:51 pm

I've heard good things about Ruby.

Is Arduino any good for an absolute beginner? I'd like to make some gadgets too.

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2013, 1:40 am

With arduino it is better to use C.
I don't know if arduino is good for a beginner.
But if you want to make gadgets it cost less than a raspberry.
But with a raspberry you can use ruby.
I don't know if you can use ruby with a arduino.

Dib
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jul 2013, 11:24 am

I learned how to program in Pascal back in 2004 then moved on to Delphi and now I code in VB,NET. I would not recommend any of these especially not Pascal/Delphi cuz if you try to learn Pascal you'll be begging for help LOL(very little resources for biggeners!). Instead I would recommend Python. Sorry for my bad english.

Dib
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jul 2013, 11:29 am

dcj123 wrote:
Programming is nothing but mathematics once you understand functions, control statements, arrays, pointers and so on. I have found that most programming languages are similar to each other, so picking up a second programming language once you learn one will be easier than the first. Whatever you do, don't start with C++ as you need a good background and C before advancing to C++.

I Agree with this. Learning your first language ever is like 10 times harder than learning second. With second language, almost all you have to learn is different syntax.