My son is eating his shirt non-stop

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 5:16 pm

My son used to chew collars and fronts of tops too. He grew out of it when he was about 5 or 6 I think. I remember sending him to school in P1 with a new jumper and he came home with a big hole chewed in the middle of it. That was the worst of it, looking back, and it got better from then on. His tops alluded to have a faded patch in the middle where he'd chewed or sucked them.

He's still a chewer though - mostly pencils and this thread reminds me that I was going to get those chewy dog tag things for him starting high school in August.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 5:17 pm

mikassyna wrote:
My son doesn't eat his shirt, but he constantly pulls at the front of his shirt and twists it. He is stretching out all his shirts!

Mine did that before he started the chewing!

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 5:26 pm

Marcia wrote:

He's still a chewer though - mostly pencils and this thread reminds me that I was going to get those chewy dog tag things for him starting high school in August.

I just looked the dog tags up. I am going to get them too! Both my sons are chewers. The older one has Sensory Processing Disorder and he still chews legos, pencils, you name it. But, I gave up giving him pencil top chewies because he loses everything, and both would refuse to wear a chewy necklace because 'it's for girls' (as they would say). But, dog tags they would wear. Especially the younger one would love wearing dog tags.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 5:49 pm

I heard that's a symptom of nutritional deficiencies.. iron, maybe?

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 5:52 pm

Not always. It depends on why they do it. If it is because of a nutritional deficiency it is called Pica, I think. It can be solely a sensory issue where they need the sensory input. That is why my son does it.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2013, 6:06 pm

How about magnesium deficiencies?
Here's an article:
http://whattofeedyourkids.blogspot.ca/2 ... y-and.html

It suggests to give your child an Epsom salt bath daily to reduce sensory integration disorders.

miss-understood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2013, 10:39 pm

Oh, the chewing!
We've got one. Costs a fortune in shirts and chewies. At his worst times he can easily destroy a shirt in a day. I stock up on cheap shirts for when he goes through these phases. Mostly these days he uses a chewy but they are expensive too and not indestructible... I asked the OT if the chewies came any harder than the one he has and she said any harder would break his teeth. Oh, ok :oops:
I think it's sensory too, that feedback through the jaw, you can see how much he is enjoying it, like a dog with a good bone :)
Pawpaw ointment works wonders on the rash.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 5:11 am

In our case, there is a baseline amount of chewing he does for general self-regulation and then there is stress-related chewing that increases when too many demands are placed on him. Reducing his stress, reduces the stress-related chewing. But yeah, he definitely enjoys his baseline chewing, too.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 9:08 am

Marcia wrote:
mikassyna wrote:
My son doesn't eat his shirt, but he constantly pulls at the front of his shirt and twists it. He is stretching out all his shirts!

Mine did that before he started the chewing!

Oh No! 8O LOL OMG Do these kids read from the same manual?

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 11:50 am

ASDsmom wrote:
How about magnesium deficiencies?
Here's an article:
http://whattofeedyourkids.blogspot.ca/2 ... y-and.html

It suggests to give your child an Epsom salt bath daily to reduce sensory integration disorders.

Oh, cool! I just started doing that because we got some that smelled nice and he liked the smell. I was hoping it wasn't bad for him somehow. :D

It's interesting reading about all these little nudists running around. Mine is 4 and although he keeps his clothes on at school, as soon as he's in for the night, off come the clothes. I wouldn't mind, except that he likes to climb on me and sometimes that puts his junk in uncomfortably close proximity to my face. :eew:

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:03 pm

Mindsigh wrote:

It's interesting reading about all these little nudists running around. Mine is 4 and although he keeps his clothes on at school, as soon as he's in for the night, off come the clothes. I wouldn't mind, except that he likes to climb on me and sometimes that puts his junk in uncomfortably close proximity to my face. :eew:

Ha ha! I do insist on underwear. I do not trust his personal hygiene habits :wink: .

MiahClone
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jul 2013, 12:21 pm

Fitzi wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:

Ha ha! I do insist on underwear. I do not trust his personal hygiene habits :wink: .

Sounds like my boys. We had to brush the oldest to get clothes on him, and would let him pull them off (except underwear) as soon as he got home. The others didn't have an excuse. They just liked to be naked (or as near as I would allow).

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2013, 12:33 pm

Eureka-C wrote:

If he has an IEP or a 504, then adding an exception to the school rule that will allow him to chew gum during certain situations can be an appropriate accommodation.

There are so many options out there, that if gum doesn't work there are many things to try. After a quick search here are just a few. I really like the chewable jewelry, cloth bracelet, and pencil toppers.

http://www.nationalautismresources.com/ ... welry.html

He does have an IEP. I have had such a hard time dealing with the CSE team at the school, though, and I really doubt they would allow gum chewing under any circumstances. I wish. They gave me a lot of push back over a fidget toy because they say they are distracting for other children.

angelalala
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2013, 12:42 am

Oh my goodness my kid does this non-stop.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 8:44 am

Fitzi wrote:
Eureka-C wrote:

If he has an IEP or a 504, then adding an exception to the school rule that will allow him to chew gum during certain situations can be an appropriate accommodation.

There are so many options out there, that if gum doesn't work there are many things to try. After a quick search here are just a few. I really like the chewable jewelry, cloth bracelet, and pencil toppers.

http://www.nationalautismresources.com/ ... welry.html

He does have an IEP. I have had such a hard time dealing with the CSE team at the school, though, and I really doubt they would allow gum chewing under any circumstances. I wish. They gave me a lot of push back over a fidget toy because they say they are distracting for other children.

They are being unreasonable. I didn't have to butt heads about gum, b/c I knew my son would swallow it anyway, but fidgets and chewies do not impact other kids at all. It is a more than reasonable accommodation.

My son was so stressed out in first grade he was chewing on his shirt all the time at school. His teacher was clueless and just kept nagging him to stop. I had no problem getting a chewie from the district OT. My son, started feeling self-conscious about the chewy, started managing stress differently, and then saved his chewing for home, which worked out for us. A chewie is reasonable, and frankly so is gum,if he does not want to stand out. Maybe bring up that you think school is creating the stress in his mind (It probably is) and he needs to counteract it in a better way. Then ask them if they want to buy your son new shirts every week. :)

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 8:56 am

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:

My son was so stressed out in first grade he was chewing on his shirt all the time at school. His teacher was clueless and just kept nagging him to stop. I had no problem getting a chewie from the district OT. My son, started feeling self-conscious about the chewy, started managing stress differently, and then saved his chewing for home, which worked out for us. A chewie is reasonable, and frankly so is gum,if he does not want to stand out. Maybe bring up that you think school is creating the stress in his mind (It probably is) and he needs to counteract it in a better way. Then ask them if they want to buy your son new shirts every week. :)

I'll try. The school psychologist hates me :D because I made such a big stink about getting my other child services they were trying to deny him. But, maybe that will work in my favor...